FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

Hi all, first off I must confess that this is a crosspost. I posted a
similar question to the Debian list, but it's not getting very far and
I know that there are some smart folks here who could probably help.

I have a nice new mouse with two extra multimedia buttons. When I try
to get the scancodes with "xev", "xbindkeys -k", "showkey", or
"showkey -s" then I see no output. There are some other functional
keys on this mouse which also show no output with those tools, such as
the side scroll feature, so I suspect that there must be _some_ way to
get the codes.

Other than Xev, Xbindkeys, and Showkey, what tools can I use? I
specifically bought this mouse because of the location of the two
extra keys, as I have a manual disability and cannot use the special
keys of regular mice.

This is the rodent:
✈ganymede:~$ grep -i mouse /var/log/Xorg.0.log
[ 15.197] (==) RADEON(0): Silken mouse enabled
[ 15.289] (II) Microsoft Natural® Ergonomic Keyboard 4000: Found 1
mouse buttons
[ 15.289] (II) Microsoft Natural® Ergonomic Keyboard 4000:
Configuring as mouse
[ 15.292] (II) config/udev: Adding input device MLK OX-1100
wireless Laser Mouse (/dev/input/event2)
[ 15.292] (**) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Applying
InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"
[ 15.292] (**) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Applying
InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[ 15.292] (**) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: always reports core events
[ 15.292] (**) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/event2"
[ 15.300] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Found 9 mouse buttons
[ 15.300] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Found scroll wheel(s)
[ 15.300] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Found relative axes
[ 15.300] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Found x and y relative axes
[ 15.300] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Found absolute axes
[ 15.300] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Found keys
[ 15.300] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Configuring as mouse
[ 15.300] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: Configuring as keyboard
[ 15.300] (**) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: YAxisMapping:
buttons 4 and 5
[ 15.300] (**) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse:
EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout:
200
[ 15.300] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "MLK OX-1100
wireless Laser Mouse" (type: KEYBOARD)
[ 15.301] (II) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: initialized for
relative axes.
[ 15.301] (WW) MLK OX-1100 wireless Laser Mouse: ignoring absolute axes.
[ 15.301] (II) config/udev: Adding input device MLK OX-1100
wireless Laser Mouse (/dev/input/mouse0)


However, 10 of the 12 buttons work, not just the 9 that it found. I've
tried to google a picture of the mouse, I see no info on Teac mice
even on the Teac website. The buttons are "zoom" buttons that I
suppose are activated by a Windows driver on the OS that the package
states that it "supports".

Thanks in advance for any advice on how to continue!


--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Joe Zeff
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

On 02/14/2011 11:04 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Other than Xev, Xbindkeys, and Showkey, what tools can I use? I
> specifically bought this mouse because of the location of the two
> extra keys, as I have a manual disability and cannot use the special
> keys of regular mice.

Just to double-check. Does the mouse work under Windows? If so, that
eliminates any questions about hardware issues. Have you asked the OEM?
They may say that they don't support Linux, but you might be able to
pry some info out of them by explaining that you're not asking them to
help you configure it, you just need the tech data so you can do it
yourself. (Offering to share how you did it with them might not be a
bad idea and might even get you more help from them.)

Good luck, and keep us informed.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 21:32, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 02/14/2011 11:04 AM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Other than Xev, Xbindkeys, and Showkey, what tools can I use? I
>> specifically bought this mouse because of the location of the two
>> extra keys, as I have a manual disability and cannot use the special
>> keys of regular mice.
>
> Just to double-check. *Does the mouse work under Windows?

I don't know, I don't have a Windows machine!

The mouse does work under Linux, only these two extra multimedia
buttons don't show any scancodes. And they are just the buttons that I
bought the mouse for considering how they are placed in a way that is
convenient for my disability!


>*If so, that
> eliminates any questions about hardware issues. *Have you asked the OEM?

The OEM didn't answer back, I wrote to them even before I bought the mouse.


> *They may say that they don't support Linux, but you might be able to
> pry some info out of them by explaining that you're not asking them to
> help you configure it, you just need the tech data so you can do it
> yourself. *(Offering to share how you did it with them might not be a
> bad idea and might even get you more help from them.)
>
> Good luck, and keep us informed.
>

If I get anywhere, I'll let you know. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-14-2011, 09:17 PM
JB
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ...

Is that a USB device ?
$ lsusb

JB


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 00:17, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen <dotancohen <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> ...
>
> Is that a USB device ?
> $ lsusb
>

Yes, I think that this is it:
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 04fc:0538 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd

Googling it I find it listed in some Polish and Italian forums, but
only in reference to other things.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:01 AM
JB
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ...

Here is something that may be it ...

http://www.hidpoint.com/hidpoint/overview/overview.html

JB






--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:01, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is something that may be it ...
>
> http://www.hidpoint.com/hidpoint/overview/overview.html
>

Thanks! I tried it, but the app only works with specific Logitech
mice. It might filter on the mouse ID. That is too bad, it _might_
help with this mouse but won't recognise it. I wrote to the company to
request support for this device.

In any case, I still need to find a solution to getting the hardware
scancodes of the buttons.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-15-2011, 07:34 AM
JB
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ...
> In any case, I still need to find a solution to getting the hardware
> scancodes of the buttons.
>

The only comprehensive summaries I know of are these (but you are already
familiar with them ...):

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Mouse
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Multimedia_Keys

JB




--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:34, JB <jb.1234abcd@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only comprehensive summaries I know of are these (but you are already
> familiar with them ...):
>
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/X.Org/Mouse
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Multimedia_Keys
>

Thanks. I just spent a good hour going through there, but even with
xinput I could not switch those keys' positions, and getscancodes did
not help, either. I figured maybe the scancodes were above 255 [1] but
I'm not sure.

[1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11227

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
JB
 
Default How to get scancodes from mouse buttons?

Dotan Cohen <dotancohen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ...
> Thanks. I just spent a good hour going through there, but even with
> xinput I could not switch those keys' positions, and getscancodes did
> not help, either. I figured maybe the scancodes were above 255 [1] but
> I'm not sure.
>
> [1] https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11227
>

> $ lsusb
> Bus 006 Device 003: ID 04fc:0538 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd

Follow it up with:
$ lsusb -v

and you should get more info:

idVendor ...
idProduct ...
bcdDevice ...
iManufacturer ...
iProduct ...

I would contact the manufacturer directly thru their web site, that is their
Service / Technical Support (there must be a phone # or e-mail address).
Include all product details as above.

You may get this technical question answered promptly.
Any way, there is nothing to lose.

JB


--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org