Old 02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
b1

Default System startup / tcsd failing to load tpm_atmel.ko

Hello alltogether

Recently I switched to Fedora as my main operating system. Now I came
across a problem as I tried to access some encrypted files. For
encryption I used ecryptfs, which is why I installed the ecryptfs-utils
package. This comes along with trousers and in particular with tcsd.
Unfortunatelly I get the following error during boot:

insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64/kernel/drivers/char/tpm/tpm_atmel.ko': -1 No such device
Starting tcsd: [FAILED]

If I try to start the daemon:

sudo /etc/init.d/tcsd start
tpm_infineon 7725 0
Starting tcsd: [FAILED]

Also if I try to insert the module manually, I get

sudo insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64/kernel/drivers/char/tpm/tpm_atmel.ko
insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64/kernel/drivers/char/tpm/tpm_atmel.ko': -1 No such device

Im am running fedora 14 and have simply no clue of what
to do to solve the problem. On ArchLinux (which I used before) I
didn't need tcsd.

If you need further information I would be happy to provide that.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 14.02.2011, b1 wrote:

> insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64/kernel/drivers/char/tpm/tpm_atmel.ko': -1 No such device

You don't have the device, so the question here is why something wants to
load the driver. Most probably this is a bug, introduced with one of the
updates which came the last few days (I had this, too).

Anyway, a "chkconfig tcsd off" should do it.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM
b1

thank you very much for your answer.

So I do not need tcsd in order to mount encrypted directories? Why is it
then installed as a dependency? Do you have filled a bug report
already?

Thanks

Old 02-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Heinz Diehl

On 15.02.2011, b1 wrote:

> So I do not need tcsd in order to mount encrypted directories?

No, it has nothing to do with mounting directories. Tscd is a userspace
daemon for TPM. As long as you don't have an Atmel TPM chip installed on
your machine, you don't need tcsd in this case. For TPM to work, it needs
both hardware and software support.

> Why is it then installed as a dependency?

I guess it's simply a bug.

> Do you have filled a bug report already?

No, because I don't have any Atmel TPM chip and I simply switched it off.
Will do it now.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:22 PM
b1

Sounds great. Thank you very much.