Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Tim

Default concurrent users (was: how to run kdesu without asking password?)

erikmccaskey64:
>>> I just need it for "bigger security". i don't only want to run
>>> transmission-gtk with another user, i want to run e.g.: Google Chrome
>>> too. [run application with a user that has low permissions results in
>>> bigger sec.]

Tim:
>> I'm curious to know in what way have you made this other user more
>> restricted.

Roberto Ragusa:
> That is simple. If a program runs as a different user, it simply
> does not have access to your main user data (e.g. firefox bookmarks
> or cookies, saved email, and all your documents).

Doesn't equate with the description of the other user having "lower"
permissions, though. The description (lower permissions, bigger
security) engenders the notion of different types of users, that Windows
uses (ordinary lowly users, power users, admins, etc.).

Running as some other user will still have the same ability to do bad
stuff as yourself could do. So I wouldn't call it an increased
"security" thing.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686