Old 02-14-2011, 07:50 AM
JD

Default What's the chipset in this D-Link USB device

Hi all,
I inserted a USB wifi device into my laptop
and tried to see what is the chipset in it.

lspci command showed nothing.

lsusb shows

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 07d1:3304 D-Link System

But still I cannot find the chipset for it, and so no driver gets
automatically loaded,
nor do I know which driver to load manually.
Could anyone please tell me how I can find out the chipset in this
inexpensive wifi device?
It is branded as Frys model FR-300USB

Thanx,

JD

Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I inserted a USB wifi device into my laptop
> and tried to see what is the chipset in it.
>
> lspci command showed nothing.
>
> lsusb shows
>
> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 07d1:3304 D-Link System
>
> But still I cannot find the chipset for it, and so no driver gets
> automatically loaded,
> nor do I know which driver to load manually.
> Could anyone please tell me how I can find out the chipset in this
> inexpensive wifi device?
> It is branded as Frys model FR-300USB

Might be worth looking at one of the chipset lists like
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
--
mike c

Old 02-14-2011, 12:02 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>lspci command showed nothing.

Because its not a PC device.

>lsusb shows
>
>Bus 001 Device 005: ID 07d1:3304 D-Link System

man lsusb, you will see -d looks for vendor:[prod id] which would
lead you to know that 07d1 is D-Link's ID and 3304 is the product.
Unfortunately http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids ends at 3303 for D-Link.

A quick Google shows http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/red-hat-fedora-linux/163594-usb-wireless-drivers-problems.html
which appears to have worked at the bottom of the thread...

Old 02-14-2011, 04:19 PM
JD

On 02/14/2011 01:21 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 8:50 AM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I inserted a USB wifi device into my laptop
>> and tried to see what is the chipset in it.
>>
>> lspci command showed nothing.
>>
>> lsusb shows
>>
>> Bus 001 Device 005: ID 07d1:3304 D-Link System
>>
>> But still I cannot find the chipset for it, and so no driver gets
>> automatically loaded,
>> nor do I know which driver to load manually.
>> Could anyone please tell me how I can find out the chipset in this
>> inexpensive wifi device?
>> It is branded as Frys model FR-300USB
> Might be worth looking at one of the chipset lists like
> http://linux-wless.passys.nl/
Not listed there as far as product id 3304....
BUT! manufacturer RealTek ID 07d1 is there, and the
only USB device made by D-Link with RealTek chip AND 801.11N AND USB is
the R8192s chip,
so I assume I have the R8192s, which is not supported by the kernel.

However, I have found no match for this product id 3304 from vendor 07d1

Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> so I assume I have the R8192s, which is not supported by the kernel.
>
> However, I have found no match for this product id 3304 from vendor 07d1

I have a wireless dongle that is supported by the 8192 driver, and
found that there is this driver in the kmod-staging package from
rpmfusion - which works - you may need to install a firmware file but
the driver is available in the package I mentioned. I tested it about
a month ago. The same driver may work for your case if you are lucky
too.

--
mike c

Old 02-14-2011, 05:46 PM
JD

On 02/14/2011 09:43 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> so I assume I have the R8192s, which is not supported by the kernel.
>>
>> However, I have found no match for this product id 3304 from vendor 07d1
> I have a wireless dongle that is supported by the 8192 driver, and
> found that there is this driver in the kmod-staging package from
> rpmfusion - which works - you may need to install a firmware file but
> the driver is available in the package I mentioned. I tested it about
> a month ago. The same driver may work for your case if you are lucky
> too.

Thanx Mike. But, where do I get the firmware file?
Is it not packaged in the kmod rpm package?

Old 02-14-2011, 05:55 PM
JD

On 02/14/2011 09:43 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> so I assume I have the R8192s, which is not supported by the kernel.
>>
>> However, I have found no match for this product id 3304 from vendor 07d1
> I have a wireless dongle that is supported by the 8192 driver, and
> found that there is this driver in the kmod-staging package from
> rpmfusion - which works - you may need to install a firmware file but
> the driver is available in the package I mentioned. I tested it about
> a month ago. The same driver may work for your case if you are lucky
> too.

Also, I forgot to mention, that I recompiled the kernel with
"staging" enabled, and driver r8192u (u for usb) enabled.

after installing the new build and rebooting, I do not see
the driver getting loaded. So, I loaded it manually, but
still there is other wireless device other than my wlan0
for the mini-pci ralink module.

And I see why: because the device is not identifying itself
with the correct strings to trigger driver loading, and even with
the driver loaded, re-inserting the USB device still does not
trigger driver recognition of the device.

Is there a way I can set up an alias for it in the file
/etc/modprobe.d/dist.conf ? What would that alias be?
Again, lsusb shows
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 07d1:3304 D-Link System

Is there a way to create an alias that associated 07d1:3304 with
r8192u_usb.ko ??

Cheers,

JD

Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanx Mike. But, where do I get the firmware file?
> Is it not packaged in the kmod rpm package?

Not likely in the kmod-staging package - you may have to dig around on
the manufacturer web site - or google to see of anyone else is using
the same chipset and has a link to a driver.

With all these wifi devices it seems it is better to try and buy one
that has known support - though that comment will not help if you have
already bought a device with minimal/no support!

I had a fairly recent one but there was a manufacturer proprietary
linux support package - and that had the firmware file in it. You have
to put it in the right place and that is also not always obvious!

The best bet is to see if there is a proprietary linux support package
- and unpack it and poke around. If not then google for it - and if
that fails you may have to wait until one is made available... not
ideal I know.

--
mike c

Old 02-14-2011, 06:21 PM
JD

On 02/14/2011 09:43 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:19 PM, JD<jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> so I assume I have the R8192s, which is not supported by the kernel.
>>
>> However, I have found no match for this product id 3304 from vendor 07d1
> I have a wireless dongle that is supported by the 8192 driver, and
> found that there is this driver in the kmod-staging package from
> rpmfusion - which works - you may need to install a firmware file but
> the driver is available in the package I mentioned. I tested it about
> a month ago. The same driver may work for your case if you are lucky
> too.

I located this firmware. Not sure if it is the right one for my device:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/dists/trunk/firmware-nonfree/realtek/RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin

Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM
mike cloaked

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 7:21 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:

> I located this firmware. Not sure if it is the right one for my device:
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/kernel/dists/trunk/firmware-nonfree/realtek/RTL8192SU/rtl8192sfw.bin

Worth a shot - at worst it won't work and there is a chance it will!
--
mike c