Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM
erikmccaskey64

Default Security: gnome-screensaver VS. switch user

People "usually" suspend their laptop, so that they can continue their work when they open the laptop. OK!
Two choices [GNOME]: *
1 - Menu -> Shut Down -> Suspendin this case, the gnome-screensaver locks the PC. but the gnome-screensaver is just a "normal process", and it could be killed e.g.:*http://securitytube.net/USB-Autorun-attacks-against-Linux-at-Shmoocon-2011-video.aspxor using any method [video was just an example!!].

2 - Menu -> Log out -> Switch user -> Suspendin this case, the GDM [???] protects the user [i mean it locks the PC from other users]

Which one is more secure/safer?--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
erikmccaskey64

People "usually" suspend their laptop, so that they can continue their work when they open the laptop. OK!Two choices [GNOME]: *1 - Menu -> Shut Down -> Suspendin this case, the gnome-screensaver locks the PC. but the gnome-screensaver is just a "normal process", and it could be killed e.g.:*http://securitytube.net/USB-Autorun-attacks-against-Linux-at-Shmoocon-2011-video.aspxor using any method [video was just an example!!].2 - Menu -> Log out -> Switch user -> Suspendin this case, the GDM [???] protects the user [i mean it locks the PC from other users]Which one is more secure/safer?____________________________________________ ___
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 PM
erikmccaskey64

Old 02-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Mark

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM, erikmccaskey64
<erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote:

> People "usually" suspend their laptop, so that they can continue their work
> when they open the laptop. OK!
> Two choices [GNOME]:
> 1 - Menu -> Shut Down -> Suspend
> in this case, the gnome-screensaver locks the PC. but the gnome-screensaver
> is just a "normal process", and it could be killed e.g.:
> http://securitytube.net/USB-Autorun-attacks-against-Linux-at-Shmoocon-2011-video.aspx
> or using any method [video was just an example!!].
>
> 2 - Menu -> Log out -> Switch user -> Suspend
> in this case, the GDM [???] protects the user [i mean it locks the PC from
> other users]
>
> Which one is more secure/safer?

You should consider asking this in the gnome users's group rather than
two (or more?) OS groups that happen to use gnome.

There is a third option, hibernation, which you did not mention, but
essentially they are all more or less equally secure - they all
require login password authentication to resume operation once the
computer is "brought back."

Old 02-13-2011, 08:25 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 12:26 PM, erikmccaskey64
<erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote:

> People "usually" suspend their laptop, so that they can continue their work
> when they open the laptop. OK!

I don't.

> Two choices [GNOME]:

There is also hibernation as an option to "avoid" shutdown.

None of them are significantly more or less secure - they all depend
on login password authentication to resume work. I'm not sure if the
"two" "different" suspend choices you list are actually different.

Please do not crosspost questions like this to multiple lists - find
the right one and ask there.