Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
William Case

Default gnote -- Am I the only one ?

Hi;

gnote does not copy and paste within gnote the same way as every other
Linux program. I use gnote a lot. I can't select a phrase or whatever
move the cursor to the spot were I want to paste a copy of the phrase
and click the middle mouse button to paste in a copy of the selected
phrase. gnote won't do it. I have been using Fedora and Linux for over
7 years; it is now an intuitive or ingrained habit; a signature of
Linux.

I can and do use the Linux mouse copy and paste for copying items and
phrases from outside gnote into gnote. Why will it not work with text
within gnote?

I filed a bug, got told that the way to do it in gnote was to click
where I wanted a phrase pasted, move to the phrase I wanted to copy,
select the phrase and then click the mouse middle button. It is not the
way traditional Linux mouse copy and paste works. Half the time it
doesn't work. I have had a couple of gnote crashes.

The response I got from the gnote maintainer was can't replicate, bug
complaint removed. I have nothing special, or old, in my Fedora 14
setup or in my hardware. In any case, the position, then select, then
middle button is not the Linux standard.

Am I the only one with this annoyance? I write a lot of stuff in a day
-- gnote is a great aid and tool except for this. I wish somebody would
fix it.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32

Old 02-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Ted Roche

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 2:20 PM, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
> Hi;
>
> gnote does not copy and paste within gnote the same way as every other
> Linux program. *I use gnote a lot. *I can't select a phrase or whatever
> move the cursor to the spot were I want to paste a copy of the phrase
> and click the middle mouse button to paste in a copy of the selected
> phrase. *gnote won't do it. *I have been using Fedora and Linux for over
> 7 years; it is now an intuitive or ingrained habit; a signature of
> Linux.

Bill:

There may be something else going on here. I'm also running Fedora 14,
GNOME 2.32 and Gnote 0.7.3. I can highlight a phrase using the left
mouse button, position the mouse pointer where I want and middle-mouse
click to paste a copy of the highlighted phrase. This works both
within gnote and between gnote and another app. This may be something
with your mouse preferences, driver or other settings.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Bill Davidsen

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> gnote does not copy and paste within gnote the same way as every other
> Linux program. I use gnote a lot. I can't select a phrase or whatever
> move the cursor to the spot were I want to paste a copy of the phrase
> and click the middle mouse button to paste in a copy of the selected
> phrase. gnote won't do it. I have been using Fedora and Linux for over
> 7 years; it is now an intuitive or ingrained habit; a signature of
> Linux.
>
> I can and do use the Linux mouse copy and paste for copying items and
> phrases from outside gnote into gnote. Why will it not work with text
> within gnote?
>
> I filed a bug, got told that the way to do it in gnote was to click
> where I wanted a phrase pasted, move to the phrase I wanted to copy,
> select the phrase and then click the mouse middle button. It is not the
> way traditional Linux mouse copy and paste works. Half the time it
> doesn't work. I have had a couple of gnote crashes.
>
> The response I got from the gnote maintainer was can't replicate, bug
> complaint removed. I have nothing special, or old, in my Fedora 14
> setup or in my hardware. In any case, the position, then select, then
> middle button is not the Linux standard.
>
> Am I the only one with this annoyance? I write a lot of stuff in a day
> -- gnote is a great aid and tool except for this. I wish somebody would
> fix it.

I think there is something funny there, but you need to find a way to show the
problem every time, then refile a bug. If the maintainer can't see it s/he can't
fix it.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-14-2011, 04:13 PM
William Case

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 09:03 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> > Hi;
> >
> > gnote does not copy and paste within gnote the same way as every other
> > Linux program. I use gnote a lot. I can't select a phrase or whatever
> > move the cursor to the spot were I want to paste a copy of the phrase
> > and click the middle mouse button to paste in a copy of the selected
> > phrase. gnote won't do it. I have been using Fedora and Linux for over
> > 7 years; it is now an intuitive or ingrained habit; a signature of
> > Linux.
> >
> > I can and do use the Linux mouse copy and paste for copying items and
> > phrases from outside gnote into gnote. Why will it not work with text
> > within gnote?
> >
> > I filed a bug, got told that the way to do it in gnote was to click
> > where I wanted a phrase pasted, move to the phrase I wanted to copy,
> > select the phrase and then click the mouse middle button. It is not the
> > way traditional Linux mouse copy and paste works. Half the time it
> > doesn't work. I have had a couple of gnote crashes.
> >
> > The response I got from the gnote maintainer was can't replicate, bug
> > complaint removed. I have nothing special, or old, in my Fedora 14
> > setup or in my hardware. In any case, the position, then select, then
> > middle button is not the Linux standard.
> >
> > Am I the only one with this annoyance? I write a lot of stuff in a day
> > -- gnote is a great aid and tool except for this. I wish somebody would
> > fix it.
> >
> I think there is something funny there, but you need to find a way to show the
> problem every time, then refile a bug. If the maintainer can't see it s/he can't
> fix it.

I went back and re-tried using the Linux copy & paste. I found the
following. On my bigger writing programs like Write and Evolution
--compose the select and paste works the way I am used to. On text
writing programs like gedit and gnote it doesn't. I am using compiz
rather than metacity. My guess now is that programs for writing that
have their own keyboard and mouse setup work as expected, but compiz is
somehow messing up the standard gnome mouse shortcuts. I don't see
where but I will keep looking.

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 14, Gnome 2.32

Old 02-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Tim

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 12:13 -0500, William Case wrote:

> I went back and re-tried using the Linux copy & paste. I found the
> following. On my bigger writing programs like Write and Evolution
> --compose the select and paste works the way I am used to. On text
> writing programs like gedit and gnote it doesn't.

I've found traditional *ix middle-mouse cut and paste to be variable
whether it's going to work on programs like Evolution or OpenOffice.org.
Usually, it won't paste what's been copied, less frequently it will.

For programs, like them, I have to resort to hotkeys or right-click for
the menu with copy in it, right-click for the menu with paste in it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:37 PM
Bill Davidsen

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 12:13 -0500, William Case wrote:
>>
>> I went back and re-tried using the Linux copy& paste. I found the
>> following. On my bigger writing programs like Write and Evolution
>> --compose the select and paste works the way I am used to. On text
>> writing programs like gedit and gnote it doesn't.
>
> I've found traditional *ix middle-mouse cut and paste to be variable
> whether it's going to work on programs like Evolution or OpenOffice.org.
> Usually, it won't paste what's been copied, less frequently it will.
>
> For programs, like them, I have to resort to hotkeys or right-click for
> the menu with copy in it, right-click for the menu with paste in it.

Highlight, then ^C or Shift^C as appropriate, then Shift^V in the offending
destination program. Or just right click, and use menu copy and paste, which
seems to work well but pastes at the text insert location vs. the cursor pointer
location for many apps.

Whatever works...

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>