Old 02-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Default why is /var/spool/cups so huge?

Hi,

I have been running F14 since the day it came out (on LXDE) and I have
noticed that my / is now as much as 7.3G in size. (My /home is separate
so these are really system-related files in /). Upon investigation, I
have come to realize that my /var/spool/cups is almost 4GB.

sudo du -sm /var/spool/cups/
3953 /var/spool/cups/

I was wondering why this is so high, and whether there is some setting
that I should change for this. This has never previously been a problem
for me even when using LXDE. Does anyone have some suggestions.

Many thanks in advance for your help, and best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 02-13-2011, 02:28 PM
mike cloaked

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ranjan Maitra <maitra@iastate.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running F14 since the day it came out (on LXDE) and I have
> noticed that my / is now as much as 7.3G in size. (My /home is separate
> so these are really system-related files in /). Upon investigation, I
> have come to realize that my /var/spool/cups is almost 4GB.
>
> sudo du -sm /var/spool/cups/
> 3953 * */var/spool/cups/
>
> I was wondering why this is so high, and whether there is some setting

That seems abnormal - mine is 63k !
68K /var/spool/cups

--
mike c

Old 02-13-2011, 02:47 PM
Laurin

Hello.

How much do you print? How big is your '/var/spool/cups/tmp'?

Regards

--

Laurin Novak

Member Of The Fedora Localization Project - German Translators Team (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N_German_Team)

GPG-Key-ID: 0xF4239033

Old 02-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Ranjan Maitra

Hi Laurin,

Thanks very much for looking into this! I do not print from this machine
at all.

sudo ls -l /var/spool/cups/tmp
total 0

Btw, I did a clean install when I installed (64-bit) F14 with LXDE. The machine in question is a IBM Thinkpad T61.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Steven Stern

On 02/13/2011 09:24 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running F14 since the day it came out (on LXDE) and I have
> noticed that my / is now as much as 7.3G in size. (My /home is separate
> so these are really system-related files in /). Upon investigation, I
> have come to realize that my /var/spool/cups is almost 4GB.
>
> sudo du -sm /var/spool/cups/
> 3953 /var/spool/cups/
>
> I was wondering why this is so high, and whether there is some setting
> that I should change for this. This has never previously been a problem
> for me even when using LXDE. Does anyone have some suggestions.
>
> Many thanks in advance for your help, and best wishes,
> Ranjan

I've added "/usr/bin/cancel -a" to my early morning cron stuff. It
appears that cups leaves a lot of stuff behind, so it's necessary to
manually delete completed print jobs.

--
-- Steve

Old 02-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Robert Nichols

On 02/13/2011 09:24 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running F14 since the day it came out (on LXDE) and I have
> noticed that my / is now as much as 7.3G in size. (My /home is separate
> so these are really system-related files in /). Upon investigation, I
> have come to realize that my /var/spool/cups is almost 4GB.
>
> sudo du -sm /var/spool/cups/
> 3953 /var/spool/cups/
>
> I was wondering why this is so high, and whether there is some setting
> that I should change for this. This has never previously been a problem
> for me even when using LXDE. Does anyone have some suggestions.

Sounds like you're keeping the control files for every job ever printed.
Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add or change a line to set MaxJobs to some
reasonable number. I use "MaxJobs 100" -- unlikely I'll ever want to see
more job history than that.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM
Bill Davidsen

Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 02/13/2011 09:24 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been running F14 since the day it came out (on LXDE) and I have
>> noticed that my / is now as much as 7.3G in size. (My /home is separate
>> so these are really system-related files in /). Upon investigation, I
>> have come to realize that my /var/spool/cups is almost 4GB.
>>
>> sudo du -sm /var/spool/cups/
>> 3953 /var/spool/cups/
>>
>> I was wondering why this is so high, and whether there is some setting
>> that I should change for this. This has never previously been a problem
>> for me even when using LXDE. Does anyone have some suggestions.
>
> Sounds like you're keeping the control files for every job ever printed.
> Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add or change a line to set MaxJobs to some
> reasonable number. I use "MaxJobs 100" -- unlikely I'll ever want to see
> more job history than that.

Thanks, that's one of the better ideas I seen on the subject. I confess I would
like to have an easy way to scale that to keep 2-3 days of history regardless of
count, but for anything but a print server a fixed count is the right answer.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Ranjan Maitra

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:10:53 -0600 Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
wrote:

> Robert Nichols wrote:
> > On 02/13/2011 09:24 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I have been running F14 since the day it came out (on LXDE) and I have
> >> noticed that my / is now as much as 7.3G in size. (My /home is separate
> >> so these are really system-related files in /). Upon investigation, I
> >> have come to realize that my /var/spool/cups is almost 4GB.
> >>
> >> sudo du -sm /var/spool/cups/
> >> 3953 /var/spool/cups/
> >>
> >> I was wondering why this is so high, and whether there is some setting
> >> that I should change for this. This has never previously been a problem
> >> for me even when using LXDE. Does anyone have some suggestions.
> >
> > Sounds like you're keeping the control files for every job ever printed.
> > Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add or change a line to set MaxJobs to some
> > reasonable number. I use "MaxJobs 100" -- unlikely I'll ever want to see
> > more job history than that.
> >
> Thanks, that's one of the better ideas I seen on the subject. I confess I would
> like to have an easy way to scale that to keep 2-3 days of history regardless of
> count, but for anything but a print server a fixed count is the right answer.

Thanks very much, all! There is no printer attached to this machine
anymore so I am not sure where this comes from. (there was a printer
attached briefly for which F went and found the drivers to install,
however.) In any case, when does this clear? Is there something I have
to do beyond putting the line in which I have done (a few hours ago)
now.

Best wishes,
Ranjan

Old 02-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 15:03:40 -0600, Ranjan wrote:

> Thanks very much, all! There is no printer attached to this machine
> anymore so I am not sure where this comes from. (there was a printer
> attached briefly for which F went and found the drivers to install,
> however.) In any case, when does this clear? Is there something I have
> to do beyond putting the line in which I have done (a few hours ago)
> now.

What files do you find below /var/spool/cups?

You've only shown the total size, but not what files are stored
in there, when they have been created, and whether you print *from*
that machine to some remote print server.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Robert Nichols

On 02/13/2011 03:03 PM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:10:53 -0600 Bill Davidsen<davidsen@tmr.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Robert Nichols wrote:

>>> Sounds like you're keeping the control files for every job ever printed.
>>> Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add or change a line to set MaxJobs to some
>>> reasonable number. I use "MaxJobs 100" -- unlikely I'll ever want to see
>>> more job history than that.
>>>
>> Thanks, that's one of the better ideas I seen on the subject. I confess I would
>> like to have an easy way to scale that to keep 2-3 days of history regardless of
>> count, but for anything but a print server a fixed count is the right answer.
>>

> Thanks very much, all! There is no printer attached to this machine
> anymore so I am not sure where this comes from. (there was a printer
> attached briefly for which F went and found the drivers to install,
> however.) In any case, when does this clear? Is there something I have
> to do beyond putting the line in which I have done (a few hours ago)
> now.

The outdated files should get cleaned up the next time you schedule a
print job. With no local printer, you presumably have either a network
printer or a print server for your jobs. You can always stop CUPS and
clean out that directory yourself. Don't delete the tmp directory, but
you can safely remove all of the ordinary files in /var/spool/cups and
/var/spool/cups/tmp.

Do NOT delete it.