Old 02-13-2011, 06:17 AM
"M. Fioretti"

Default Update on: "why is my Linux so damn slow?"

Good morning, everybody!

I just woke up and found lots of other suggestions, both here and in
20/30 comments on the web page, which I just approved so are now
readable by everybody.

Almost surely, today I won't be able to try and report about the
latest suggestions. I have to leave with family in a few minutes, for
stuff planned weeks ago. So if you don't hear from me again before a
couple of days, it's not because I've ran again from Linux or Fedora.

For now, just wanted to say a couple of things:

first, many thanks to all who've provided lots of useful advice. As I
just said, I've got so much of it that I simply haven't had the time
to use all of it yet. In any case it is my intention to do as many of
those other tests as I can and then report here as soon as possible,
and then reformat all this advice in some how-to guide publish on the
same website.

secondly, I have to report that a simple "vacuuming" of the sqlite
databases of Firefox as explained here:

http://www.gettingclever.com/2008/06/vacuum-your-firefox-3.html

is enough to make a real difference. After doing that yesterday
evening, I have deliberately let Firefox open the whole night, with
10/12 tabs scattered over three windows. 8/9 hours later, the system
is not as fast as I'd like it, but IS much faster than I have had to
endure in the previous days. Many thanks to the person who suggested
this, read my message from yesterday to see how much this trick
reduced the size of those databases.

There is still a lot to do and I'll do as much of it as I can, but
it's impressive that simple tricks like this that, for the record,
would have never emerged by simply trying live cds can do. I must
seriously write something more about how to optimize Linux in the
2010's.

Later,
Marco

Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 AM
"M. Fioretti"

On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 08:17:00 AM +0100, Marco Fioretti (mfioretti@nexaima.net) wrote:

> Almost surely, today I won't be able to try and report about the
> latest suggestions. I have to leave with family in a few minutes, for
> stuff planned weeks ago. So if you don't hear from me again before a
> couple of days, it's not because I've ran again from Linux or Fedora.

sorry, I meant "ran away", not "ran again"

Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Sun, 2011-02-13 at 08:26 +0100, M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 08:17:00 AM +0100, Marco Fioretti (mfioretti@nexaima.net) wrote:
>
> > Almost surely, today I won't be able to try and report about the
> > latest suggestions. I have to leave with family in a few minutes, for
> > stuff planned weeks ago. So if you don't hear from me again before a
> > couple of days, it's not because I've ran again from Linux or Fedora.
>
> sorry, I meant "ran away", not "ran again"

Actually, you meant "run away" (I ran away, I have run away).

poc

Old 02-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Piscium

On 13 February 2011 07:17, M. Fioretti <mfioretti@nexaima.net> wrote:

> secondly, I have to report that a simple "vacuuming" of the sqlite
> databases of Firefox as explained here:
>
> http://www.gettingclever.com/2008/06/vacuum-your-firefox-3.html
>
> is enough to make a real difference.

I tried this and the Firefox performance also improved for me. It was
not a dramatic improvement but still, as it is so easy, I will
probably do the "vacuuming" once a month or so.

Nice trick, thanks!