Old 02-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Neal Becker

Default setup nfs w/o synchronizing uids?

Is it possible to setup nfs (server+clients) without syncing uid's? Is it
possible to do this without having to setup nfs4+kerberos? If so, how?

Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Richard Shaw

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to setup nfs (server+clients) without syncing uid's? *Is it
> possible to do this without having to setup nfs4+kerberos? *If so, how?

You didn't mention the full context of what you're trying to do. Is
this for a simple home network or corporate environment? You could
probably make everything you're trying to share world RW to work
around the UID/GID sync, but it obviously would not be secure at all.

Richard

Old 02-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Neal Becker

Richard Shaw wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is it possible to setup nfs (server+clients) without syncing uid's? Is it
>> possible to do this without having to setup nfs4+kerberos? If so, how?
>
> You didn't mention the full context of what you're trying to do. Is
> this for a simple home network or corporate environment? You could
> probably make everything you're trying to share world RW to work
> around the UID/GID sync, but it obviously would not be secure at all.
>
> Richard

Say small corporate. I was hoping to be able to use uid/gid mapping, which
seems to be part of nfs4?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Bill Davidsen

Neal Becker wrote:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Neal Becker<ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to setup nfs (server+clients) without syncing uid's? Is it
>>> possible to do this without having to setup nfs4+kerberos? If so, how?
>>
>> You didn't mention the full context of what you're trying to do. Is
>> this for a simple home network or corporate environment? You could
>> probably make everything you're trying to share world RW to work
>> around the UID/GID sync, but it obviously would not be secure at all.
>>
>> Richard
>
> Say small corporate. I was hoping to be able to use uid/gid mapping, which
> seems to be part of nfs4?

I haven't gotten that working, although I had limited time to look at the
problem. I have one machine with uid issues, so I would like to have a better
fix than a series of one time hacks. On the other hand, I have a bunch of other
machines which have uid match and take most of my time, so uid fixing has
dropped to my "would be nice" list.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Peter Skensved

Bill Davidsen wrote :
> I haven't gotten that working, although I had limited time to look at the
> problem. I have one machine with uid issues, so I would like to have a better
> fix than a series of one time hacks. On the other hand, I have a bunch of other
> machines which have uid match and take most of my time, so uid fixing has
> dropped to my "would be nice" list.

I haven't tried this myself but this may be what you're looking for :

[Translation]
Method = nsswitch

( in idmapd.conf )

It isn't documented in the man pages for CentOS 5.5 ( RHEL 5.5 ) but it showed
up in bugzilla under fedora.

peter
----

Peter Skensved Email : peter@SNO.Phy.QueensU.CA