Old 02-11-2011, 08:47 AM
erikmccaskey64

Default how to run kdesu without asking password?

Fedora 14, with GNOME:

sudo works without password:

visudo
MYUSER ALL=(transmission-user) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/transmission-gtk

then:
xhost local:transmission-user
sudo -u transmission-user -- /usr/bin/transmission-gtk

ok, it runs without prompting for a password. [I'm logged in with the "MYUSER" user]

But: when i want to use kdesu, then:

kdesu -c "/usr/bin/transmission-gtk" -u transmission-user &
it asks for a password.

How can i set kdesu to not prompt for a password with a given user/command? [just like with sudo]
Thanks.--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org

Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 4:47 AM, erikmccaskey64 <erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote:

> Fedora 14, with GNOME:
>
> sudo works without password:
>
> visudo
> MYUSER ALL=(transmission-user) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/transmission-gtk
>
> then:
> xhost local:transmission-user
> sudo -u transmission-user -- /usr/bin/transmission-gtk
>
> ok, it runs without prompting for a password. [I'm logged in with the
> "MYUSER" user]
>
> But: when i want to use kdesu, then:
>
> kdesu -c "/usr/bin/transmission-gtk" -u transmission-user &
> it asks for a password.
>
> How can i set kdesu to not prompt for a password with a given user/command?
> [just like with sudo]

kdesudo?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:09 AM
erikmccaskey64

[root@a ~]# kdesudobash: kdesudo: command not found...[root@a ~]# yum search kdesudoLoaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekitAdding en_US to language listExisting lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 29015.Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...**The other application is: PackageKit** *Memory : *25 M RSS ( 66 MB VSZ)** *Started: Fri Feb 11 12:05:10 2011 - 00:06 ago** *State *: Sleeping, pid: 29015Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile** fedora: mirrors.uaip.org** rpmfusion-free: download1.rpmfusion.org** rpmfusion-free-updates: download1.rpmfusion.org** rpmfusion-nonfree: download1.rpmfusion.org** rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: download1.rpmfusion.org** updates: mirrors.uaip.orgWarning: No matches found for: kdesudoNo Matches found[root@a ~]# apropos kdesukdesu (1) * * * * * *- Runs a program with elevated privileges[root@a ~]# apropos kdesudo[root@a ~]#*

kdesu was in the "kdebase-runtime" package. but where is kdesudo?
please help me find it!

---- Be Fri, 11 Feb 2011 02:08:03 -0800 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> írta ----

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 4:47 AM, erikmccaskey64 <erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote: > > Fedora 14, with GNOME: > > sudo works without password: > > visudo > MYUSER ALL=(transmission-user) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/transmission-gtk > > then: > xhost local:transmission-user > sudo -u transmission-user -- /usr/bin/transmission-gtk > > ok, it runs without prompting for a password. [I'm logged in with the > "MYUSER" user] > > But: when i want to use kdesu, then: > > kdesu -c "/usr/bin/transmission-gtk" -u transmission-user & > it asks for a password. > > How can i set kdesu to not prompt for a password with a given user/command? > [just like with sudo] kdesudo? -- users mailing list users@lists.fedoraproject.org To unsubscribe or change subscription options: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:09 AM, erikmccaskey64 <erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote:
> [root@a ~]# kdesudo
> bash: kdesudo: command not found...
> [root@a ~]# yum search kdesudo
> Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding en_US to language list
> Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 29015.
> Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit...
> **The other application is: PackageKit
> ** *Memory : *25 M RSS ( 66 MB VSZ)
> ** *Started: Fri Feb 11 12:05:10 2011 - 00:06 ago
> ** *State *: Sleeping, pid: 29015
> ** fedora: mirrors.uaip.org
> ** rpmfusion-free: download1.rpmfusion.org
> ** rpmfusion-free-updates: download1.rpmfusion.org
> ** rpmfusion-nonfree: download1.rpmfusion.org
> ** rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: download1.rpmfusion.org
> ** updates: mirrors.uaip.org
> Warning: No matches found for: kdesudo
> No Matches found
> [root@a ~]# apropos kdesu
> kdesu (1) * * * * * *- Runs a program with elevated privileges
> [root@a ~]# apropos kdesudo
> [root@a ~]#
>

> kdesu was in the "kdebase-runtime" package. but where is kdesudo?

It lloks like it's a kubuntu app (!); sorry.

http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php/KdeSudo?content=72106

In GNOME, you can set gksu/gksudo to use either su or sudo as a
backend either at the cli with "--su-mode" or "--sudo-mode" or
permanently in the gconf settings.

I don't use KDE so I don't know whether it's possible (it *must* be)
and, if it is, how.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 AM
erikmccaskey64

if i*
visudo
MYUSER ALL=(transmission-user) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/transmission-gtk
and*
xhost local:transmission-user
sudo -u transmission-user -- /usr/bin/transmission-gtk
then it works perfectly. but my original problem is that it needs a "gnome-terminal" (i need the "kdesu" or whatever in a .desktop file):
echo -e '#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Icon[en_US]=gdu-encrypted-lock
Name[en_US]=transmission-user
Exec=sudo -u transmission-user -- /usr/bin/transmission-gtk
Name=transmission-user
Icon=gdu-encrypted-lock' > transmission-user.desktopchmod +x transmission-user.desktop
this is important:Terminal=true
if i set this to false, it doesn't work. if i set this to true, sudo perfectly works, but theres a gnome-terminal opened.
theres no gksu under Fedora 14.
but thank you!

---- Be Fri, 11 Feb 2011 03:27:59 -0800 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> írta ----

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 6:09 AM, erikmccaskey64 <erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote: > [root@a ~]# kdesudo > bash: kdesudo: command not found... > [root@a ~]# yum search kdesudo > Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit > Adding en_US to language list > Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running as pid 29015. > Another app is currently holding the yum lock; waiting for it to exit... > **The other application is: PackageKit > ** *Memory : *25 M RSS ( 66 MB VSZ) > ** *Started: Fri Feb 11 12:05:10 2011 - 00:06 ago > ** *State *: Sleeping, pid: 29015 > Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile > ** fedora: mirrors.uaip.org > ** rpmfusion-free: download1.rpmfusion.org > ** rpmfusion-free-updates: download1.rpmfusion.org > ** rpmfusion-nonfree: download1.rpmfusion.org > ** rpmfusion-nonfree-updates: download1.rpmfusion.org > ** updates: mirrors.uaip.org > Warning: No matches found for: kdesudo > No Matches found > [root@a ~]# apropos kdesu > kdesu (1) * * * * * *- Runs a program with elevated privileges > [root@a ~]# apropos kdesudo > [root@a ~]# > > > kdesu was in the "kdebase-runtime" package. but where is kdesudo? It lloks like it's a kubuntu app (!); sorry. http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php/KdeSudo?content=72106 In GNOME, you can set gksu/gksudo to use either su or sudo as a backend either at the cli with "--su-mode" or "--sudo-mode" or permanently in the gconf settings. I don't use KDE so I don't know whether it's possible (it *must* be) and, if it is, how. -- users mailing list users@lists.fedoraproject.org To unsubscribe or change subscription options: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines*--

Old 02-11-2011, 04:21 PM
suvayu ali

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:47 AM, erikmccaskey64 <erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote:

> visudo
> MYUSER ALL=(transmission-user) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/transmission-gtk

Why do you want to run transmission as super user? Isn't that
extremely unsafe since its a peer-to-peer data transfer app? If you
could share, maybe there are safer ways to do whatever you are trying
to achieve?

--
Suvayu

Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 PM
erikmccaskey64

i don't want to run it with root
the MYUSER is a user with low permissions!!*
i just don't know how to run a GUI application from a .desktop file with another user under Fedora 14.
[another user= not the one that i'm using for everyday desktop use]

---- Be Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:21:56 -0800 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> írta ----

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:47 AM, erikmccaskey64 <erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote: > > visudo > MYUSER ALL=(transmission-user) NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/transmission-gtk Why do you want to run transmission as super user? Isn't that extremely unsafe since its a peer-to-peer data transfer app? If you could share, maybe there are safer ways to do whatever you are trying to achieve? -- Suvayu Open source is the future. It sets us free. -- users mailing list users@lists.fedoraproject.org To unsubscribe or change subscription options: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 PM
suvayu ali

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:41 PM, erikmccaskey64 <erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote:
> i don't want to run it with root
> the MYUSER is a user with low permissions!!
> i just don't know how to run a GUI application from a .desktop file with
> another user under Fedora 14.
> [another user= not the one that i'm using for everyday desktop use]

Okay, sorry I misunderstood earlier. But it is still not clear to me
why you want to run it as a different user. What advantage does it
give you? Do you want to keep an instance of transmission running all
the time? If that is the case I would recommend using
transmission-daemon for that. You can then control the daemon with
transmission-remote or the transmission web interface.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-12-2011, 08:19 AM
erikmccaskey64

I just need it for "bigger security". i don't only want to run transmission-gtk with another user, i want to run e.g.: Google Chrome too. [run application with a user that has low permissions results in bigger sec.]
but thanks for the answer!

---- Be Fri, 11 Feb 2011 14:30:53 -0800 suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> írta ----

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:41 PM, erikmccaskey64 <erikmccaskey64@zoho.com> wrote: > i don't want to run it with root > the MYUSER is a user with low permissions!! > i just don't know how to run a GUI application from a .desktop file with > another user under Fedora 14. > [another user= not the one that i'm using for everyday desktop use] > Okay, sorry I misunderstood earlier. But it is still not clear to me why you want to run it as a different user. What advantage does it give you? Do you want to keep an instance of transmission running all the time? If that is the case I would recommend using transmission-daemon for that. You can then control the daemon with transmission-remote or the transmission web interface. -- Suvayu Open source is the future. It sets us free. -- users mailing list users@lists.fedoraproject.org To unsubscribe or change subscription options: https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines

Old 02-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-02-12 at 01:19 -0800, erikmccaskey64 wrote:

> I just need it for "bigger security". i don't only want to run
> transmission-gtk with another user, i want to run e.g.: Google Chrome
> too. [run application with a user that has low permissions results in
> bigger sec.]

I'm curious to know in what way have you made this other user more
restricted.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686