Old 02-11-2011, 06:34 AM
Rohit Farmer

Default Not able to connect to wifi in Fedora 14

Hello everyone,

I have just bought Dell Inspiron M501R AMD Phenom
Quad Core, which was bundled with windows7 where all the features are
working fine. I then installed Fedora 14 64 bit on a partition and now i
am not able to connect to wifi.

I used the command* lspci -vnn and at the end it shows the following, does this output means the drivers of the wlan card is not installed.

04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4727] (rev 01)

*** Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0010]
*** Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 7
*** Memory at fe900000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
*** Capabilities: <access denied>

05:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 02)

*** Subsystem: Dell Device [1028:0448]
*** Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 43
*** I/O ports at d000 [size=256]
*** Memory at d0110000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
*** Memory at d0100000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=64K]

*** Expansion ROM at fe800000 [disabled] [size=128K]
*** Capabilities: <access denied>
*** Kernel driver in use: r8169
*** Kernel modules: r8169

Can anyone please suggest me how to connect to wifi on Fedora 14.

Thanks and Regards

Rohit
--
Rohit Farmer
M.Tech Bioinformatics

(Formerly known as Allahabad Agricultural Institute - Deemed University)
Allahabad, UP, INDIA - 211 007
Ph. No. 9839845093, 9415261403
e-Mail rohit.farmer@gmail.com

Blog http://rohitsspace.blogspot.com

Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 AM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 11 February 2011 07:34:50 Rohit Farmer wrote:
> I have just bought Dell Inspiron M501R AMD Phenom Quad Core, which was
> bundled with windows7 where all the features are working fine. I then
> installed Fedora 14 64 bit on a partition and now i am not able to connect
> to wifi.
>
> I used the command lspci -vnn and at the end it shows the following, does
> this output means the drivers of the wlan card is not installed.
>
> 04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g
> LP-PHY [14e4:4727] (rev 01)

This is the same device as on my netbook. I have been told that it will not
work with the b43 driver. I have been promised some help this morning on IRC,
and I'll report back if I get it to work.

Anne

Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 AM
JB

Rohit Farmer <rohit.farmer <at> gmail.com> writes:

This should give you some initial help:
Google search: fedora wireless BCM4313

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=1442742

JB

Old 02-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Jim

On 02/11/2011 02:52 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 07:34:50 Rohit Farmer wrote:
>> I have just bought Dell Inspiron M501R AMD Phenom Quad Core, which was
>> bundled with windows7 where all the features are working fine. I then
>> installed Fedora 14 64 bit on a partition and now i am not able to connect
>> to wifi.
>>
>> I used the command lspci -vnn and at the end it shows the following, does
>> this output means the drivers of the wlan card is not installed.
>>
>> 04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g
>> LP-PHY [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
> This is the same device as on my netbook. I have been told that it will not
> work with the b43 driver. I have been promised some help this morning on IRC,
> and I'll report back if I get it to work.
>
> Anne
Use the kmod-wl and remove b43-cutter rpm .

Old 02-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 11 February 2011 13:59:30 Jim wrote:
> On 02/11/2011 02:52 AM, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Friday 11 February 2011 07:34:50 Rohit Farmer wrote:
> >> I have just bought Dell Inspiron M501R AMD Phenom Quad Core, which was
> >> bundled with windows7 where all the features are working fine. I then
> >> installed Fedora 14 64 bit on a partition and now i am not able to
> >> connect to wifi.
> >>
> >> I used the command lspci -vnn and at the end it shows the following,
> >> does this output means the drivers of the wlan card is not installed.
> >>
> >> 04:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313
> >> 802.11b/g LP-PHY [14e4:4727] (rev 01)
> >
> > This is the same device as on my netbook. I have been told that it will
> > not work with the b43 driver. I have been promised some help this
> > morning on IRC, and I'll report back if I get it to work.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Use the kmod-wl and remove b43-cutter rpm .

That was the solution. For others with this need, go to
http://fedoraunity.org/mobile/fc-wireless/broadcom-linux-sta-driver for
instructions. I used the akmod method, incredibly smooth.

Anne