Old 02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
John Pierce

Default WPA and no wireless detected

Greetings all!

I have been away from Fedora for some time, but came home to old
faithful after realizing that OpenSuse was going to take forever to
patch up the kernel to fix a buggy DSDT for my Toshiba labtops.

Here is my problem, along with some details:

I have two Toshiba L505D-GS6000 laptops that are identical, I truly
mean identical. Running lspci on both machines will yield the same
exact configuration.

I installed Fedora 14 on laptop 1, updated the system, installed wicd
and removed networkmanager (I do not like it), and then ran the
following commands.

I ran make clean && make && make install for the Realtek driver that I
need for my wireless card, all went well and I was able to modprobe it
successfully.

I then opened wicd and it saw my wireless router (WPA secured), I gave
it the necessary credentials and all is fine, typing this post from
that machine.

LAPTOP 2

Everything went identically to the above process, but I have no
listing for WPA authentication. I have insured that wpa_supplicant is
running and all versions are the same.

I am now at a complete loss to figure out what is keeping it from
scanning the networks.

Any thoughts, ideas, comments would be greatly appreciated.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at

Old 02-09-2011, 07:29 PM
Manuel Escudero

[...]

Amm, is your SSID hidden? try to make it visible and then Try to reconect the second laptop after a reboot,*also is the wireless adapter working? Try to unlock it with rfkill:

(As Root in your terminal)
1.- sudo yum -y install rfkill
2.- rfkill list
3.- rfkill unblock all
4.- rfkill list

Hope it gets solved.
--
<-Manuel Escudero->
Linux User #509052

PGP/GnuPG: DAE3 82E9 D68E 7AE4 ED31* 1F8F 4AF4 D00C 50E7 ABC6

Old 02-09-2011, 07:31 PM
Manuel Escudero

[...]

P.S. I forgot! After running rfkill's unlocking, try to connect without rebooting the laptop first