Old 02-09-2011, 08:30 AM
Clemens Eisserer

Default Utility to graphically install software / browse repositories?

Hi,

Suding the install process a rather nice tool is displayed where
packages/groups can be selected for installation.

Is this tool available also when fedora is installed, and if so what
it it's name?
KPackagekit simply is too buggy for my taste, and yum a bit clumsy
when searching packages without knowing its name

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Old 02-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Jatin K

On Wednesday 09 February 2011 03:00 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suding the install process a rather nice tool is displayed where
> packages/groups can be selected for installation.
>
> Is this tool available also when fedora is installed, and if so what
> it it's name?
> KPackagekit simply is too buggy for my taste, and yum a bit clumsy
> when searching packages without knowing its name
>
> Thank you in advance, Clemens
do you need something like this[1]

[1] http://blog.ubuntu-tweak.com/2008/12/05/ubuntu-tweak-came-to-fedora.html

/(_)
^ ^ Jatin Khatri
Registerd Linux user No #501175
www.counter.li.org
No M$

Old 02-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Jatin K

On Wednesday 09 February 2011 03:00 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Suding the install process a rather nice tool is displayed where
> packages/groups can be selected for installation.
>
> Is this tool available also when fedora is installed, and if so what
> it it's name?
> KPackagekit simply is too buggy for my taste, and yum a bit clumsy
> when searching packages without knowing its name
>
> Thank you in advance, Clemens

or may be yum-extender ...here [1]

[1] http://www.yum-extender.org/cms/

/(_)

Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Clemens Eisserer

Hi Jatin,

Thanks for your answer.
Basically I would prefer the gtk packagekit frontend that is presented
during the fedora installation as part of the installer.

Thanks, Clemens

Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 02/09/2011 03:14 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Hi Jatin,
>
> Thanks for your answer.
> Basically I would prefer the gtk packagekit frontend that is presented
> during the fedora installation as part of the installer.

In that case,

# yum install gnome-packagekit

Run gpk-application

Rahul

Old 02-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 10:30 +0100, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> yum a bit clumsy when searching packages without knowing its name

You could try yumex as an interface to yum.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:40 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Thanks,

> # yum install gnome-packagekit
>
> Run gpk-application

Thats strange - all the package-groups are empty, as with kpackagekit.
Is this a known problem/bug?

Thanks, Clemens

Old 02-10-2011, 08:18 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 02/10/2011 04:10 AM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> Thanks,
>
>> # yum install gnome-packagekit
>>
>> Run gpk-application
> Thats strange - all the package-groups are empty, as with kpackagekit.
> Is this a known problem/bug?

Nope. Try yum clean all; yum makecache

Rahul