Old 02-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Dario Lesca

Default How to be notified if the battery of my notebook is low?

How to do (or how to install) for get a pop-up message on my Gnome
desktop and a "wall" message on my shell when the battery of my notebook
is low?

Many thanks

--
Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it>

Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM
JB

Dario Lesca <d.lesca <at> solinos.it> writes:

> How to do (or how to install) for get a pop-up message on my Gnome
> desktop and a "wall" message on my shell when the battery of my notebook
> is low?
>
> Many thanks

You need some utility that will do that.
$ yum search battery
$ yum info <package>
from there go to project's web site.

JB

Old 02-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Dario Lesca

Il giorno mer, 09/02/2011 alle 11.59 +0000, JB ha scritto:
> You need some utility that will do that.
> $ yum search battery
> $ yum info <package>
> from there go to project's web site.

Thank for reply, but I'm looking for how to tell to GNOME to notify me
when the battery is low with a pop up message (ad, if possible,
broadcast a "wall" message to the all remote user)

None of the application show by "yum search battery" do that: this is a
job for GNOME Desktop.
I remember witch a older version of Fedora (1 or 2), this "feature"
worked out of the box...

... But I wonder:
* this need is not common to all GNOME desktop users?
* nobody needs to be notified when the battery is low, without
install third-party software ?
* Other people how they solved this?

Many thanks

--
Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it>

Old 02-09-2011, 02:44 PM
JB

Dario Lesca <d.lesca <at> solinos.it> writes:

There is something relatively recent on Ubuntu.
http://live.gnome.org/BatteryStatus
You can try to get it working on Fedora, I guess.

JB

Old 02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it> wrote:

> Thank for reply, but I'm looking for how to tell to GNOME to notify me
> when the battery is low with a pop up message (ad, if possible,
> broadcast a "wall" message to the all remote user)

The GNOME power manager should have this setting. Have you tried that?
I don't use GNOME so can't be specific about instructions to try.
Sorry.

--
Suvayu

Old 02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Rick Stevens

On 02/09/2011 08:44 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Dario Lesca<d.lesca@solinos.it> wrote:
>>
>> Thank for reply, but I'm looking for how to tell to GNOME to notify me
>> when the battery is low with a pop up message (ad, if possible,
>> broadcast a "wall" message to the all remote user)
>
> The GNOME power manager should have this setting. Have you tried that?
> I don't use GNOME so can't be specific about instructions to try.
> Sorry.

Right click on the battery icon, select "Preferences", then the
"General" tab. Under "Notification Area" there are a number of choices.
I have "Always display an icon" and if the battery gets low, a bubble
appears under the battery icon telling me it's low (also a big bubble
if I unplug the charger, etc). If you don't already have the battery
icon, then run "gnome-power-preferences".

As to a "wall"-type message, there is nothing I know of but you could
write a quick cron program that checks the various variables in
/proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state and does a "wall" if any of them get low.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Dario Lesca

Il giorno mer, 09/02/2011 alle 08.44 -0800, suvayu ali ha scritto:
> The GNOME power manager should have this setting. Have you tried that?
Don't have it

the action, on battery power, when battery power is critical low are:
hibernate
suspend
poweroff

And the message warning is send only to desktop and after few second go
away, no message are send via "wall" to connected users.

I have check BatteryStatus like JB say, but I was not able to make it
work:

> [lesca@dodo ~]$ /usr/lib/battery-status/battery-status --indicator
> Sorry, python-appindicator module for indicator mode not available in the system.

I have found nothing about "python-appindicator" into fedora
repository ....

Thanks

--
Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it>

Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 02/09/2011 11:44 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 6:24 AM, Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it> wrote:
>>
>> Thank for reply, but I'm looking for how to tell to GNOME to notify me
>> when the battery is low with a pop up message (ad, if possible,
>> broadcast a "wall" message to the all remote user)
>
> The GNOME power manager should have this setting. Have you tried that?
> I don't use GNOME so can't be specific about instructions to try.
> Sorry.

System > Preferences > Power Management

Under the General tab in the Notification area you can choose when the
power management icon will appear in your notification area.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Old 02-09-2011, 04:44 PM
Greg Woods

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 09:06 -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> If you don't already have the battery
> icon, then run "gnome-power-preferences".

You can get to this via System -> Preferences -> Power Management
whether or not you have the battery icon already.

--Greg

Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM
suvayu ali

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 9:07 AM, Dario Lesca <d.lesca@solinos.it> wrote:
> Don't have it
>
> the action, on battery power, when battery power is critical low are:
> * * * *hibernate
> * * * *suspend
> * * * *poweroff
>
> And the message warning is send only to desktop and after few second go
> away, no message are send via "wall" to connected users.

I think I misunderstood your use case. Are you on a laptop? My
recommendations were based on the assumption you were on a laptop and
want desktop notifications about your battery state. But your question
about wall notifications to other users suggests to me you are
probably after power management settings for battery backup (UPS) for
a desktop/server when there is a power failure. If that is the case,
there are dedicated applications to communicate with your UPS like nut
or apcupsd. However as a disclaimer, I have never used these myself.

GL

--
Suvayu