Old 02-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Mike Wright

Default perl on fedora?

Hi all,

Very confused here.

I'm trying to install a perl module without any luck. Isn't this stuff
supposed to work out of the gate? Is there some sort of fedora / yum
way to to this? Basic instructions for perl either return nothing or a
failure message.

perl -Mcpan -e shell

Can't locate cpan.pm in @INC
(@INC contains:
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
/usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
.).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

locate cpan.pm

/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/LWP/Protocol/cpan.pm

I tried copying cpan.pm to one of the above listed paths and the error
remains.

I haven't mucked with the perl installation in any way whatsoever. Is
there some magic needed to use it?

Thanks for any help,
Mike Wright

Old 02-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Kevin Fenzi

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 12:55:52 -0800
Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Very confused here.
>
> I'm trying to install a perl module without any luck. Isn't this
> stuff supposed to work out of the gate? Is there some sort of
> fedora / yum way to to this? Basic instructions for perl either
> return nothing or a failure message.
...snip...

Well, what module are you trying to install?

I would suggest:

1. Check to see if it's already packaged in Fedora:

yum list perl-Whatever
or
yum provides 'perl(whatever::whatever)'

If it is, just yum install it.

2. If it's not packaged already:

yum install cpan2rpm
'man cpan2rpm' to find all the options, but:

cpan2rpm Proc:aemon /tmp/String-Canonical-1.2.tar.gz

should produce a rpm you can install with 'yum installl ./whatever.rpm'

Hope that helps,

kevin

Old 02-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Chris Adams

Once upon a time, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> said:
> I'm trying to install a perl module without any luck. Isn't this stuff
> supposed to work out of the gate? Is there some sort of fedora / yum
> way to to this? Basic instructions for perl either return nothing or a
> failure message.
>
> perl -Mcpan -e shell

It is CPAN, not cpan (case matters). However, your first step should be
to see if the module you want is available packaged for Fedora. You can
do that from the command-line as root with:

yum install 'perl(Some::Module)'

If it isn't found, you can then use CPAN to install it. You may need to
install the CPAN module first though with:

yum install 'perl(CPAN)'

--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 02-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Mike Wright

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> said:
>> I'm trying to install a perl module without any luck. Isn't this stuff
>> supposed to work out of the gate? Is there some sort of fedora / yum
>> way to to this? Basic instructions for perl either return nothing or a
>> failure message.
>>
>> perl -Mcpan -e shell
>
> It is CPAN, not cpan (case matters). However, your first step should be
> to see if the module you want is available packaged for Fedora. You can
> do that from the command-line as root with:
>
> yum install 'perl(Some::Module)'
>
> If it isn't found, you can then use CPAN to install it. You may need to
> install the CPAN module first though with:
>
> yum install 'perl(CPAN)'

@kevin,
@chris

Thank you both. I now have NetAddr:IP and CPAN and know how to do this
the fedora way.

I guess this is somewhat akin to the way an apache installation is
extended: different builds for each module/option that can then be
added. Then things can be add from the o/s level rather than having
the users build/compile/etc.

Very cool. (I do need to find out where all this is doc'd, tho

Old 02-19-2011, 03:34 AM
Aleksey Tsalolikhin

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Very confused here.
>
> I'm trying to install a perl module without any luck. *Isn't this stuff
> supposed to work out of the gate? *Is there some sort of fedora / yum
> way to to this? *Basic instructions for perl either return nothing or a
> failure message.
>
> perl -Mcpan -e shell

The module is called CPAN and the naming, on Unix, is case-sensitive.

So try "perl -MCPAN -e shell" and I am sure it'll work.

Best,
-at