Old 02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Adrian Sevcenco

Default f14 :: cagibi disable

Hi! Have anyone some idea about how can i disable this pest?
Thanks!
Adrian

Old 02-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Rex Dieter

Adrian Sevcenco wrote:

> Hi! Have anyone some idea about how can i disable this pest?

We can try to implement that, but ... why? what's the use-case? Is it
causing problems?

-- Rex

Old 02-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Adrian Sevcenco

On 02/07/11 17:22, Rex Dieter wrote:

Adrian Sevcenco wrote:

Hi! Have anyone some idea about how can i disable this pest?

We can try to implement that, but ... why? what's the use-case? Is it
causing problems?

i have the habit that if i dont need something it shouldn't run ..
i don't use upnp (ssdp) and the thing that i don't have control to close
a networking something that listen (or multicast) on 1900 is ..
disturbing ...
IMHO anything that has potentially a network connection should have an
easy way to be disabled (turned off)

So at this point can you tell me how can i disable this from auto
starting? and maybe why this doesn't have an option to be disabled (as
it is usually done in linux world : give the people the power of choice)

Thanks!
Adrian

Old 02-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 17:42 +0200, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> On 02/07/11 17:22, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
> >
> >> Hi! Have anyone some idea about how can i disable this pest?
> >
> > We can try to implement that, but ... why? what's the use-case? Is it
> > causing problems?
> i have the habit that if i dont need something it shouldn't run ..
> i don't use upnp (ssdp) and the thing that i don't have control to close
> a networking something that listen (or multicast) on 1900 is ..
> disturbing ...
> IMHO anything that has potentially a network connection should have an
> easy way to be disabled (turned off)
>
> So at this point can you tell me how can i disable this from auto
> starting? and maybe why this doesn't have an option to be disabled (as
> it is usually done in linux world : give the people the power of choice)

I've never heard of cagibi and it's not present in my system, so it's
clearly not a default install. Why don't you just remove it?

poc

Old 02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Joachim Backes

> On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 17:42 +0200, Adrian Sevcenco wrote:

>>> We can try to implement that, but ... why? what's the use-case? Is it
>>> causing problems?
>> i have the habit that if i dont need something it shouldn't run ..
>> i don't use upnp (ssdp) and the thing that i don't have control to close
>> a networking something that listen (or multicast) on 1900 is ..
>> disturbing ...
>> IMHO anything that has potentially a network connection should have an
>> easy way to be disabled (turned off)
>>
>> So at this point can you tell me how can i disable this from auto
>> starting? and maybe why this doesn't have an option to be disabled (as
>> it is usually done in linux world : give the people the power of choice)
>
> I've never heard of cagibi and it's not present in my system, so it's
> clearly not a default install. Why don't you just remove it?
>
> poc

Because at lot of dependencies in KDE:

Removing:
cagibi i686 0.1.1-2.fc14
@updates-testing 163 k
Removing for dependencies:
amarok i686 2.3.2-4.fc14
@updates-testing 21 M
amarok-libs i686 2.3.2-4.fc14
@updates-testing 13 M
digikam i686 1.7.0-1.fc14 @updates
27 M
digikam-libs i686 1.7.0-1.fc14 @updates
5.7 M
k3b i686 1:2.0.2-2.fc14 @updates
2.9 M
k3b-common noarch 1:2.0.2-2.fc14 @updates
20 M
k3b-extras-freeworld i686 1:2.0.1-2.fc14
@rpmfusion-free-updates

165 k
k3b-libs i686 1:2.0.2-2.fc14 @updates
5.9 M
kaffeine i686 1.1-1.fc14
@updates-testing 1.6 M
kbluetooth i686 0.4.2-2.fc14
@updates-testing 583 k
kcm-gtk i686 0.5.3-5.fc14
@updates-testing 126 k
kde-plasma-networkmanagement
i686 1:0.9-0.28.20101011.fc14
@updates-testing 364 k
kde-settings-kdm noarch 4.5-11.fc14 @updates
30 k
kdeartwork-kxs i686 4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
183 k
kdeartwork-screensavers i686 4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
3.3 M
kdebase i686 6:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
8.2 M
kdebase-libs i686 6:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
859 k
kdebase-runtime i686 4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
12 M
kdebase-runtime-flags noarch 4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
107 k
kdebase-runtime-libs i686 4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
3.4 M
kdebase-workspace i686 4.5.5-2.fc14 @updates
34 M
kdebase-workspace-libs i686 4.5.5-2.fc14 @updates
2.9 M
kdebase-workspace-python-applet
i686 4.5.5-2.fc14 @updates
84 k
kdegraphics i686 7:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
8.7 M
kdemultimedia i686 6:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
4.1 M
kdenetwork i686 7:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
19 M
kdepim i686 6:4.4.9-2.fc14 @updates
18 M
kdepim-libs i686 6:4.4.9-2.fc14 @updates
20 M
kdepim-runtime i686 4.4.9-1.fc14 @updates
4.2 M
kdepim-runtime-libs i686 4.4.9-1.fc14 @updates
307 k
kdeplasma-addons i686 4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
6.7 M
kdeplasma-addons-libs i686 4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
977 k
kdeutils i686 6:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
2.2 M
kdeutils-libs i686 6:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
2.7 M
kdeutils-minimal i686 6:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
4.0 M
kdeutils-minimal-libs i686 6:4.5.5-1.fc14 @updates
181 k
kdm i686 4.5.5-2.fc14 @updates
2.8 M
knetworkmanager-libs i686 1:0.9-0.28.20101011.fc14
@updates-testing 3.0 M
konq-plugins i686 4.4.0-6.fc14 @updates
5.5 M
kpackagekit i686 0.6.3.3-1.fc14 @updates
3.2 M
ktorrent i686 4.0.5-1.fc14 @updates
10 M
ktorrent-libs i686 4.0.5-1.fc14 @updates
565 k
qtcurve-kde4 i686 1.8.1-1.fc14 @updates
1.7 M

Transaction Summary

Regards

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 02-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Rex Dieter

Adrian Sevcenco wrote:

> On 02/07/11 17:22, Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Adrian Sevcenco wrote:
>>
>>> Hi! Have anyone some idea about how can i disable this pest?
>>
>> We can try to implement that, but ... why? what's the use-case? Is it
>> causing problems?

> i have the habit that if i dont need something it shouldn't run ..

OK, I'll see if we can come up with something more flexible than the current
hard dependency in cagibi in kdebase-runtime.

(the counter-balance here is to make sure everything just works for most
users, without having to know to install anything extra).

-- Rex

Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 16:57 +0100, Joachim Backes wrote:
> > I've never heard of cagibi and it's not present in my system, so
> it's
> > clearly not a default install. Why don't you just remove it?
> >
> > poc
> >

> Because at lot of dependencies in KDE:

That explains it. My current office system doesn't have KDE and this is
the first mention of it in the thread. I do have it at home so
presumably cagibi is installed there.

poc

Old 02-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Adrian Sevcenco

Hi! Have anyone some idea about how can i disable this pest?

We can try to implement that, but ... why? what's the use-case? Is it
causing problems?

i have the habit that if i dont need something it shouldn't run ..

OK, I'll see if we can come up with something more flexible than the current
hard dependency in cagibi in kdebase-runtime.

(the counter-balance here is to make sure everything just works for most
users, without having to know to install anything extra).
Ok, i can understand this .. but cannot be put in
System-settings->System Administration->Startup and Shutdown-> Service
manager with possibility to not be started? (and a nice help explanation
about what it does and in which situations is required?)

Thanks!
Adrian

Old 02-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Adrian Sevcenco

I've never heard of cagibi and it's not present in my system, so

it's

clearly not a default install. Why don't you just remove it?

poc

Because at lot of dependencies in KDE:

That explains it. My current office system doesn't have KDE and this is

hmm .. i missed to give this bit of info .. sorry

the first mention of it in the thread. I do have it at home so
presumably cagibi is installed there.

Thanks,
Adrian