FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Hiisi
 
Default Lost desktop icons (F13)

su, 2011-02-06 kello 17:33 -0500, John Aldrich kirjoitti:
> I recently moved my computer to another room and then brought it back. In
> the process, I lost my desktop icons. I'm running KDE/Openbox on F13. I've
> been playing with linux for years, so I'm not a N00B, but I can't figure out
> how to bring back my desktop icons.
> Thanks!

Could you search for them in another room? Probably something like 'ls
another_room' will do the trick.
Is it laptop? Did you shutdown the machine or was it suspended? Probably
it's time to reboot?
--
The easiest way to get the root password is to become system admin.
-- Unknown source

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:14 AM
David
 
Default Lost desktop icons (F13)

On 2/6/2011 6:00 PM, Hiisi wrote:
> su, 2011-02-06 kello 17:33 -0500, John Aldrich kirjoitti:
>> I recently moved my computer to another room and then brought it back. In
>> the process, I lost my desktop icons. I'm running KDE/Openbox on F13. I've
>> been playing with linux for years, so I'm not a N00B, but I can't figure out
>> how to bring back my desktop icons.
>> Thanks!
>
> Could you search for them in another room? Probably something like 'ls
> another_room' will do the trick.
> Is it laptop? Did you shutdown the machine or was it suspended? Probably
> it's time to reboot?


Buzzz You win Hiisi!! First place for The Most Stupid Worthless,Useless
Comment by a Smart A$$ Award.

My comment cones in second at the best.

Now will someone please try and help this person?
--

David
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Lost desktop icons (F13)

On 02/06/2011 06:14 PM, David wrote:
> Buzzz You win Hiisi!! First place for The Most Stupid Worthless,Useless
> Comment by a Smart A$$ Award.
>
> My comment cones in second at the best.

If I suggest that he look in lost+found, do I get third place?

Seriously, I'd like to help, but all I can really do is point out that
moving the computer (unless it caused an irregular shutdown) couldn't
have had anything to do with the issue.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:37 AM
David
 
Default Lost desktop icons (F13)

On 2/6/2011 9:19 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 06:14 PM, David wrote:
>> Buzzz You win Hiisi!! First place for The Most Stupid Worthless,Useless
>> Comment by a Smart A$$ Award.
>>
>> My comment cones in second at the best.
>
> If I suggest that he look in lost+found, do I get third place?
>
> Seriously, I'd like to help, but all I can really do is point out that
> moving the computer (unless it caused an irregular shutdown) couldn't
> have had anything to do with the issue.

FIRST: Would someone please try to help the OP?

Second:

Third place? Sure. :-)

A obviously confused user with problems asking for help does not need
what I saw as smarta$$ answers.

help fix the problems and then apply the humor, IMO, is a better path.

And no at this point I doubt that many could help. But a 'more
information' reply would do more to help the OP that what I read.

Do you disagree with that?
--

David
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-07-2011, 01:57 AM
Joe Zeff
 
Default Lost desktop icons (F13)

On 02/06/2011 06:37 PM, David wrote:
> FIRST: Would someone please try to help the OP?

Alas, except for pointing out that the two events probably aren't linked
I have no idea how to help. I wish I did.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-07-2011, 02:10 AM
David
 
Default Lost desktop icons (F13)

On 2/6/2011 9:57 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 06:37 PM, David wrote:
>> FIRST: Would someone please try to help the OP?
>
> Alas, except for pointing out that the two events probably aren't linked
> I have no idea how to help. I wish I did.


True.

The two times, that I can think of, that 'Linux died' for me were caused
by improper shutdowns. Basically 'pull the plug' situations. One by a
son before UPS systems and once after UPS systems when the battery died
after a length of time since Linux at that time did not support
shutdowns on power failures. Come to think ot that i am not sure that is
supported today either.

--

David
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 02-07-2011, 04:47 AM
Hiisi
 
Default Lost desktop icons (F13)

su, 2011-02-06 kello 22:10 -0500, David kirjoitti:
> On 2/6/2011 9:57 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 02/06/2011 06:37 PM, David wrote:
> >> FIRST: Would someone please try to help the OP?
> >
> > Alas, except for pointing out that the two events probably aren't
> linked
> > I have no idea how to help. I wish I did.
>
>
> True.

I couldn't resist. Sorry, list!
In my first praise answer there's a hint to provide some more
information like whether machine was shut down or suspended. I hope the
OP isn't too annoyed with all the mess I did with his thread and will
either provide the asked details or already solved the problem.
--
Apples have meant trouble since eden.
-- MaDsen Wikholm, mwikholm@at8.abo.fi

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org