Old 02-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Frank Cox

Default How to get better looking fonts

http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?24,110733

--
MELVILLE THEATRE ~ Melville Sask ~ www.melvilletheatre.com

Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Steven Stern

On 02/06/2011 02:15 PM, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 03:57 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> Now I'm wondering if there is a way to get the font rendering to look
>> different.
>
> I'm on Fedora 14 and mine looks like this (which is more similar to your
> Ubuntu screenshot than the Fedora one):
>
> http://imagebin.org/136443
>
> The only thing I did after a fresh installation was to install the
> freetype-freeworld package (which is the regular freetype package but
> compiled with the bytecode interpreter enabled). You need the RPMFusion
> (non-free) repo for that. After that, I just changed the settings to this:
>
> Smoothing --> (Subpixel (LCDs)
> Hinting ----> Slight
> Subpixel Order ---> RGB
>
> I know talking about how great or bad fonts look is highly subjective...
> but I totally agree there's a big difference between the 2 screenshots
> your presented. The font rendering in Fedora, out of the box, is not at
> the same level of neatness as that of Ubuntu.
>
> HTH,
> Jorge

Thanks. My desktop looks a lot better now.

--
-- Steve

Old 02-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 14:57 -0500, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Now I'm wondering if there is a way to get the font rendering to look
> different. I followed all the instructions on
> http://fedorasolved.org/Members/khaytsus/improve-fonts/, but the fonts
> look pretty much unchanged:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/fedora.png
>
> I would like them to look more like this:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/ubuntu.png

Looking at both screenshots, they're both apparently using the same size
font (other than monospace), yet their size and shape appear different.
Which leads to a couple of conclusions:

1. "Sans" isn't the actually same font on each.
2. The screen size / scaling is different (probably by playing
silly buggers with the DPI).

A very slight change in font size can make a significant difference to
readability. Both in the effect of getting a nice size font, as well as
how well a font can be drawn on a medium with limited resolution
(screens are MUCH lower than print).

Also, the Ubuntu shot is lower contrast (the text is gray, not black;
the shading on the drop-down gadgets is smoother, most likely as a
consequence of using steps of gray that are closer to each other in
luminance values, or perhaps more steps).

Lowering the contrast, ever so slightly, is another thing that can make
a picture look a bit softer. Which may, or may not, look better to you,
depending on what you're trying to do / trying to look at. It can lead
to other problems, if you print or produce graphics for other people, if
you tweak your things differently to how the end product needs to be.

To me, the Ubuntu shot has gone too far. The writing looks smudgy, and
there's some quite obvious colour fringing around the edge. That's how
sub-pixel smoothing works, using the red green and blue pixels
independently, and that can become quite obvious once they're brightened
up.

If you don't have a way to directly tweak the text contrast, to suit
yourself, you might want to go looking for different themes, or learn
how to modify a current one.

The other thing to check is whether they use the same font rendering
engine. If they don't, then you're not going to get them to look "the
same." Close, perhaps, but not identical.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Roberto Ragusa

On 02/06/2011 08:57 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I pulled myself together and worked around the LVM problem and the rest
> of the installation actually worked fine.
>
> Now I'm wondering if there is a way to get the font rendering to look
> different. I followed all the instructions on
> http://fedorasolved.org/Members/khaytsus/improve-fonts/, but the fonts
> look pretty much unchanged:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/fedora.png
>
> I would like them to look more like this:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/ubuntu.png
>
> Any recommendations?

Your hinting is too strong. Try "light".

There are people liking this "lego blocks" appearance (which is similar to
Windows), but many others (including you, and me) like the smooth one
(more similar to OS X).

I think that once your eyes have been trained on one style, you irremediably
find the other one ugly.

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it

Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Jorge Fábregas

On 02/07/2011 04:19 AM, Tim wrote:
> 1. "Sans" isn't the actually same font on each.

I checked this the other day wich fc-match and it returned "DejaVu Sans"
so it's the same as Fedora.

On their latest release, 10.10, they introduced their new font (the
"Ubuntu Font") and they use that across the desktop but instead of
remapping "sans to the ubuntu font" they explicitly changed to "Ubuntu
Font" on the Appereance applet (still leaving plain "sans" aliased to
DejaVu-sans).

--
Jorge

Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 21:57, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I pulled myself together and worked around the LVM problem and the rest
> of the installation actually worked fine.
>
> Now I'm wondering if there is a way to get the font rendering to look
> different. I followed all the instructions on
> http://fedorasolved.org/Members/khaytsus/improve-fonts/, but the fonts
> look pretty much unchanged:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/fedora.png
>
> I would like them to look more like this:
>
> http://www.rath.org/res/ubuntu.png
>
> Any recommendations?

I use this on my Ubuntu box, it has been a while since I've been on
Fedora and I don't remember if it was different then:
✈ganymede:~$ cat .fonts.conf
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
<match target="font">
<edit mode="assign" name="autohint">
<bool>true</bool>