Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Nikolaus Rath

Default Links in /boot

Hello,

Is there a way to get initrd.img and vmlinuz symlinks in /boot or / that
are automatically updated to point to the newest installed kernel?

Thanks,

-Nikolaus

PGP fingerprint: 5B93 61F8 4EA2 E279 ABF6 02CF A9AD B7F8 AE4E 425C

Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 02/06/2011 02:58 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to get initrd.img and vmlinuz symlinks in /boot or / that
> are automatically updated to point to the newest installed kernel?

Huh? I don't have any links in /boot.... Not on any of 3 different
systems here at home. If you are creating them yourself, you'll have to
manage them yourself.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Old 02-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Nikolaus Rath

"Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> writes:
> On 02/06/2011 02:58 PM, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a way to get initrd.img and vmlinuz symlinks in /boot or / that
>> are automatically updated to point to the newest installed kernel?
>
> Huh? I don't have any links in /boot.... Not on any of 3 different
> systems here at home. If you are creating them yourself, you'll have to
> manage them yourself.

Debian and IIRC OpenSUSE can manage these links automatically. They're
very convenient if you are unable to regenerate the boot loader
configuration after every kernel update (e.g. because you manage the
boot loader in another OS). You just configure the /vmlinuz and
/initrd.img locations and are done with it permanently.

Best,

Old 02-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 14:58 -0500, Nikolaus Rath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to get initrd.img and vmlinuz symlinks in /boot or / that
> are automatically updated to point to the newest installed kernel?
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Nikolaus

I am not sure what you are asking, but when yum updates a kernel the
system will automatically boot from the latest kernel installed.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Steven I Usdansky

Here's the script I'd run manually every time I upgraded my kernel:

#!/bin/bash

cd /

mv vmlinuz vmlinuz.old
mv initrd initrd.old

NEW_KERNEL=`rpm -q kernel | tail -1 | sed -e 's/kernel-//'`
ln -s boot/vmlinuz-$NEW_KERNEL vmlinuz
ln -s boot/initramfs-$NEW_KERNEL.img initrd

exit 0