Old 02-06-2011, 08:22 AM
"Frederick N. Brier"

Default yum error creating exported file system for diskless client

I was following the directions in Chapter
18. Setting Up A Remote Diskless System and got to 18.3
where it said Fedora could be installed to a directory that would be
exported.* I had previously created a 2GB ext4 LVM volume and
mounted it at /diskless/myhostname and then attempted to execute the
yum command:

[root@myserver yum.repos.d]# yum groupinstall Base
--installroot=/diskless/myhostname

Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit

fedora/metalink****************************************** ************************************************** ***************
|* 18 kB**** 00:00****

Could not parse metalink
https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=x86_64
error was

No repomd file

Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again

[root@myserver yum.repos.d]#

yum update works fine.* I tried doing a "yum clean all".* Did not
fix it.* What step am I missing?* Thank you.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
"Frederick N. Brier"

I went through the files in the yum.repos.d directory including
fedora.repo, fedora-updates.rep and fedora-updates-testing.repo, and
swapped out the baseurl lines with macro variables with an absolute
repo's URL, ie:

#baseurl=http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/$releasever/Everything/$basearch/os/

baseurl=http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/fedora.redhat/linux/releases/13/Everything/x86_64/os/

That worked.* I was able to install base OS and follow all the other
steps.* I am now having a different issue with the tftp timing out
on the diskless workstation, but that may be related to the
motherboard's built-in Ethernet port or a conflict with dnsmasq and
tftpd.* Still working on that, but if taking the macro variables out
of the baseurl gives anyone a hint as to what this problem was,
please let me know.* I was not having any problems with normal yum
updates, just installing the OS into a different directory, so I
will probably switch the baseurl back.* Thank you for any help.