Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Chris Smart

Default Default user groups

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Chris Smart <mail@christophersmart.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know where Fedora sets the default user groups for new users?

Or is there not such config and in the scripts (such as firstboot) it
passes the group options to adduser command?

-c

Old 02-05-2011, 11:35 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 09:50 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> Does anyone know where Fedora sets the default user groups for new users?
>
> Say I want to create a new user and have them automatically added to a
> few more groups, how can one do that?
>
> Thanks!
> -c
>
> --
> _
> /(_)
> ^ ^ Chris Smart

When you use the user add gui it puts that user into a group with his
username as the group name. Then you can use chgrp to put that user into
any group you want to.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Chris Smart

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> When you use the user add gui it puts that user into a group with his
> username as the group name. Then you can use chgrp to put that user into
> any group you want to.

Sure, but I'm after a way to specify what groups a user should be
added to by default, when a new user is created (in the same way that
by default, a new user is added to their own group).

For example, /etc/default/useradd specifies what GROUP, SHELL, HOME,
etc a new user should have, but it doesn't seem to have any option for
what secondary GROUPS the user should have.

It would be great to be able to change the default behaviour, so that
users are added to specific groups by default, without the need to
manually apply this post useradd. This way all default Fedora scripts
and tools which use the useradd command should just work..
theoretically ;-)

There's also /etc/login.defs, but I can't see any option for
specifying default groups there either..

-c

Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Chris Smart

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Chris Smart <mail@christophersmart.com> wrote:
> Or is there not such config and in the scripts (such as firstboot) it
> passes the group options to adduser command?

Maybe I'll just alias it..

-c

Old 02-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2011-02-06 at 11:46 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > When you use the user add gui it puts that user into a group with his
> > username as the group name. Then you can use chgrp to put that user into
> > any group you want to.
>
> Sure, but I'm after a way to specify what groups a user should be
> added to by default, when a new user is created (in the same way that
> by default, a new user is added to their own group).
>
> For example, /etc/default/useradd specifies what GROUP, SHELL, HOME,
> etc a new user should have, but it doesn't seem to have any option for
> what secondary GROUPS the user should have.
>
> It would be great to be able to change the default behaviour, so that
> users are added to specific groups by default, without the need to
> manually apply this post useradd. This way all default Fedora scripts
> and tools which use the useradd command should just work..
> theoretically ;-)
>
> There's also /etc/login.defs, but I can't see any option for
> specifying default groups there either..
>
> -c

How about a shell script that envokes adduser and then one or more chgrp
commands.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:46 PM
Ted Roche

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:15 PM, Chris Smart <mail@christophersmart.com> wrote:

> Or is there not such config and in the scripts (such as firstboot) it
> passes the group options to adduser command?

man adduser

has some clues on adding a user to a default group with -g and
multiple groups with -G. There's further discussions in the man page
on these behaviors. Hope that helps.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC

Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Thomas Cameron

Old 02-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Chris Smart

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 1:16 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> How about a shell script that envokes adduser and then one or more chgrp
> commands.

Yeah, I did something like that in the end. I just was looking for the
least disruptive and most in-line way to do it. Debian has a config
file for specifying what additional groups a new user should be a part
of, so I was looking for something similar in Fedora.

You'd think it's something important, setting what groups a new user
should be a part of by default, but apparently not :-)

Anyway, I've implemented a work around which will do for now. Thanks!

-c

Old 02-06-2011, 09:18 PM
Chris Smart

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 4:46 AM, Ted Roche <tedroche@gmail.com> wrote:
> man adduser
>
> has some clues on adding a user to a default group with -g and
> multiple groups with -G. There's further discussions in the man page
> on these behaviors. Hope that helps.

Thanks Ted, I'm well aware of these but I'm specifically after a way
to specify what groups a new user should be automatically added to, in
addition to their primary group :-) So far, I haven't found that ;-)

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Thomas Cameron
<thomas.cameron@camerontech.com> wrote:

> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Deployment_Guide/s1-users-groups-private-groups.html

Thanks Thomas, but unless I missed something it doesn't really help
:-) I realise that each user gets their own private group, but I want
to have new users added to extra groups at the time of creation.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 PM

hi chris,

On 02/06/2011 10:18 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
<>

> Thanks Thomas, but unless I missed something it doesn't really help
> :-) I realise that each user gets their own private group, but I want
> to have new users added to extra groups at the time of creation.

consider /etc/default/useradd;

# useradd defaults file
GROUP=100,20,63,1010,2020
HOME=/home
INACTIVE=-1
EXPIRE=
SHELL=/bin/bash
SKEL=/etc/skel
CREATE_MAIL_SPOOL=yes

also, you may want to make changes to;

/etc/skel/.bash_profile and /etc/skel/.bashrc

to reflect additions for the special groups. ie, "PATH=", "ENV=", alias's,
startup progs, etc...

hth.

--

peace out.