Old 02-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Chris Adams

Default Resizing PVs (was: Installation Impressions)

Once upon a time, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@rath.org> said:
> You can shrink a PV, but you will loose the extents that are stored in
> the space that you have truncated. I don't consider that resizing.

Changing the size of something is called resizing.

> Unfortunately, pvmove can only move extends to other PVs but not to a
> different location in the same PV.

Not true. It isn't as straightforward; you have to know a map of the
PEs and specify them to the pvmove command like (assuming the
destination PEs are not in use):

pvmove /dev/sda2:1000-1100 /dev/sda2:100-200

IIRC you get a warning, and it is slow (obviously, reading and writing a
bunch of data on the same drive is slow).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>

Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 AM
"Michael D. Setzer II"

http://fedorasolved.org/Members/zcat/shrink-lvm-for-new-partition

Does that link have the information for handling the physical resizing?

I had used the LVM option in the past, but have gone to making regular
partitions on install, but do have some machines with old LVM setups.

Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
Guam Community College Computer Center
mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
Guam - Where America's Day Begins
G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned: 19,471
Processing time: 32 years, 290 days, 12 hours, 58 minutes
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
SETI 10331255.834230 | EINSTEIN 5371421.810851
ROSETTA 2765286.340461 | ABC 4335306.527607