Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Bill Davidsen

Default Upgrade FC11->14

I have a laptop running fc11, with the non-boot partition encrypted LUKS. Based
on one bad experience with another system, and one fail with a VM, just booting
the DVD and asking it to upgrade is not the way to a working system. While I can
certainly backup /home and reinstall, there are a fair number of tweaks and I'd
rather not.

Any thoughts?

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM
mike cloaked

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
> I have a laptop running fc11, with the non-boot partition encrypted LUKS. Based
> on one bad experience with another system, and one fail with a VM, just booting
> the DVD and asking it to upgrade is not the way to a working system. While I can
> certainly backup /home and reinstall, there are a fair number of tweaks and I'd
> rather not.
>
> Any thoughts?

A few weeks ago I upgraded a system from f11 to f14 - given the
upgrade three times with tweaks vs the clean install and tweaks
options I felt the latter would be less time intensive - so I made
backups of /home and all the key areas of /var and /etc and did a new
install - then did the tweaks after the install and copied back user
areas from backup - the new system was running about two and a half
hours after the install - and I am convinced it would have been a
great deal longer trying to upgrade through f12, f13 and on to f14 -
with a major jump through three versions I think the clean install is
the better option but ultimately the decision is yours!

(Actually even when upgrading from one version to the next I do this
same clean install approach and I have not been bitten by major
problems as a result - even with copying and saving imap files as well
as other user data - though I have seen quite a few people fall into
problems doing pre-upgrade/upgrades rather than the clean install
method if the help postings on this list are anything to go by!)

--
mike c

Old 02-05-2011, 04:56 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 02/05/2011 09:54 AM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I have a laptop running fc11, with the non-boot partition encrypted LUKS. Based
> on one bad experience with another system, and one fail with a VM, just booting
> the DVD and asking it to upgrade is not the way to a working system. While I can
> certainly backup /home and reinstall, there are a fair number of tweaks and I'd
> rather not.
>
> Any thoughts?

My understanding is that F11 *MUST* be upgraded to F12. F12 can then be
directly upgraded to F14. YMMV. Read the Release notes of *each*
intervening release (whether you upgrade to it, or skip it!).

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Old 02-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2011-02-05 at 09:54 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> I have a laptop running fc11, with the non-boot partition encrypted
> LUKS. Based on one bad experience with another system, and one fail
> with a VM, just booting the DVD and asking it to upgrade is not the
> way to a working system. While I can certainly backup /home and
> reinstall, there are a fair number of tweaks and I'd rather not.

In the past I've tried upgrading, and fresh installs. Now I'll only do
fresh installs.

With a fresh install, it usually just works. But if it doesn't, the
problem's due to itself. You don't have to try and sort out what
old/new compatibility happened. There was nearly always something that
screwed up during an upgrade.

An upgrade takes ages. It's got to assess what you've got, work out the
dependencies, etc. Then multiply that by having to do multiple updates,
to work through several releases. And you'll still have to do
post-install tweaks.

An install can take as little as 15 minutes. Copying a few
backed-up /etc files over, afterwards, doesn't take long. Nor does
going through a carefully controlled manual update of some /etc files
take as long as all the time involved in upgrading an OS.

Over the years I've seen endless threads about people trying to resolve
a screwed up upgrade, that was far more difficult to figure out than
getting a fresh install up and running. And it, very obviously, took a
hell of a lot longer to complete: Several days, if not weeks.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Joe Zeff

On 02/05/2011 07:02 PM, Tim wrote:
> An upgrade takes ages. It's got to assess what you've got, work out the
> dependencies, etc.

That's what's nice about using preupgrade. Start it going and then get
on with whatever you were doing. Then, once it's done, you can reboot
into the upgrade at the end of the day and let it do its work while you
sleep.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Tim

Tim:
>> An upgrade takes ages. It's got to assess what you've got, work out the
>> dependencies, etc.

Joe Zeff:
> That's what's nice about using preupgrade. Start it going and then get
> on with whatever you were doing. Then, once it's done, you can reboot
> into the upgrade at the end of the day and let it do its work while you
> sleep.

It's still a very long time. Which may all be wasted if it turns out
not to be viable.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Joe Zeff

On 02/06/2011 01:52 AM, Tim wrote:
> It's still a very long time. Which may all be wasted if it turns out
> not to be viable.

Have you ever actually had that happen, or are you just looking for a
worst-case scenario to complain about?