Old 02-04-2011, 01:32 PM
mike cloaked

Default Hardware for Gnome3

With the advent of Gnome3 not far around the corner and with a huge
array of different desktop and laptop machines with many different
chipsets and graphics cards in use by the community, I wondered if
there is a list of likely supported hardware that will have a
reasonable chance of being able to successfully run Gnome3 when Fedora
15 is released?

I know that we have the Gnome 3 alpha test days running (as of
yesterday) but presumably those running the tests have hardware that
is already expected to work with the new desktop experience with 3d
support. It would nice nice if a user could run a quick probe of
their current hardware and then go to a list of kit that is expected
would be likely to run, or definitely won't run, Gnome 3.

Is there such a list? Of course one can run commands to see if 3d
support is in principle available on your own machine - but in the
past having this information has not been a guarantee of getting a
working 3d machine for eg desktop effects, even though 3d is
"nominally" available. Clearly nouveau has been under heavy
development in the past year or two, and ATI support has been
accelerating too..... at what point does the experimental mesa stuff
become stable enough to use for prime time?

Would be nice to know.

In the meantime it will be very valuable to see as many tests as
possible being executed on as wide a set of different types of
hardware as possible for the gnome 3 test days to maximise the chance
that the largest number or users will be able to see a working desktop
as soon as F15 is installed after release.

--
mike c

Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM
Rahul Sundaram

In the meantime it will be very valuable to see as many tests as

possible being executed on as wide a set of different types of

hardware as possible for the gnome 3 test days to maximise the chance

that the largest number or users will be able to see a working desktop

as soon as F15 is installed after release.

Are you participating in the test days?* You can use the live image.*** In rawhide,* it should work on any system that is about 5 years old.*** There are some bugs/ missing acceleration support in the drivers with certain series of Nvidia cards however.* Details at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha

http://gnome3.org

Rahul
*

Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM
mike cloaked

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM, mike cloaked wrote:
>>
>> In the meantime it will be very valuable to see as many tests as
>> possible being executed on as wide a set of different types of
>> hardware as possible for the gnome 3 test days to maximise the chance
>> that the largest number or users will be able to see a working desktop
>> as soon as F15 is installed after release.
>
> Are you participating in the test days?* You can use the live image.*** In
> rawhide,* it should work on any system that is about 5 years old.*** There
> are some bugs/ missing acceleration support in the drivers with certain
> series of Nvidia cards however.* Details at
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2011-02-03_GNOME3_Alpha
>
> http://gnome3.org
>
> Rahul

I have the latest live image (from 30th!) from the nightly directory -
and it depends on getting a block of time to run the tests - though I
will try through the weekend if possible...

--
mike c

Old 02-04-2011, 06:05 PM
mike cloaked

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 5:15 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have the latest live image (from 30th!) from the nightly directory -
> and it depends on getting a block of time to run the tests - though I
> will try through the weekend if possible...

Now downloading the live image linked from the test day page and will
use that as soon as I get a block of time to test.
--
mike c

Old 02-04-2011, 08:43 PM
mike cloaked

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now downloading the live image linked from the test day page and will
> use that as soon as I get a block of time to test.

I did take an hour this evening to run a test on a laptop which has
nVidia Corporation G86M [Quadro FX 360M] graphics and almost all the
tests passed so I was quite impressed at this stage of the game! (Yes
I have added a line to the test matrix)

There are some things that are no longer there that I am not enamoured
with though, and one is that I have relied on for quite some time is
gnome-applet-netspeed to give me an instantaneous indication of
download speed when I am pulling files - since gnome applets will not
be supported in gnome 3 there appears no way, that I am aware of, to
get the same functionality in gnome 3 - unless someone can tell me
what I have missed?

However in general gnome 3 seems pretty polished given that it is
still a couple of months before it is released and also that this is
running in f15 alpha - and it is good to see a large array of test
results in the matrix too. From my own single machine tested I am
really quite impressed! I hope that I see similar levels of
performance from the other machines that I get a chance to test too!

--
mike c

Old 02-05-2011, 07:03 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 3:13 AM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now downloading the live image linked from the test day page and will

> use that as soon as I get a block of time to test.

I did take an hour this evening to run a test on a laptop which has

nVidia Corporation G86M [Quadro FX 360M] graphics and almost all the

tests passed so I was quite impressed at this stage of the game! (Yes

I have added a line to the test matrix)

There are some things that are no longer there that I am not enamoured

with though, and one is that I have relied on for quite some time is

gnome-applet-netspeed to give me an instantaneous indication of

download speed when I am pulling files - since gnome applets will not

be supported in gnome 3 there appears no way, that I am aware of, to

get the same functionality in gnome 3 - unless someone can tell me

what I have missed?

I don't expect GNOME 3.0 to be functionally equivalent to GNOME* 2.x.*** GNOME Shell does support extensions and I hope some of them cover the common use cases over time.* Netspeed is something I depend on as well

Rahul

Old 02-06-2011, 04:02 PM
mike cloaked

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:03 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't expect GNOME 3.0 to be functionally equivalent to GNOME* 2.x.
> GNOME Shell does support extensions and I hope some of them cover the common
> use cases over time.* Netspeed is something I depend on as well

Sure it is very different - though I have only used it very briefly -
one facility that I regard as essential is to place an icon on the
desktop to run binaries that are not part of the standard set. I did
not see a place to set that up? For example I would like to have an
icon to execute nightly versions of Thunderbird from an icon that
would be added to the dash - is that possible in Gnome3?

--
mike c

Old 02-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Joe Zeff

On 02/06/2011 09:02 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
> For example I would like to have an
> icon to execute nightly versions of Thunderbird from an icon that
> would be added to the dash - is that possible in Gnome3?

I don't know much about Gnome3, but I presume you'd do that the same way
as you do now: right-click on the Desktop, select Create Launcher, and
select the binary you want run.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:20 PM
mike cloaked

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 09:02 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
>> For example I would like to have an
>> icon to execute nightly versions of Thunderbird from an icon that
>> would be added to the dash - is that possible in Gnome3?
>
> I don't know much about Gnome3, but I presume you'd do that the same way
> as you do now: right-click on the Desktop, select Create Launcher, and
> select the binary you want run.

OK - I will be running another test later - I will try that along the
way and see if it works!
--
mike c

Old 02-06-2011, 05:49 PM
mike cloaked

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 6:20 PM, mike cloaked <mike.cloaked@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 5:42 PM, Joe Zeff <joe@zeff.us> wrote:
>> On 02/06/2011 09:02 AM, mike cloaked wrote:
>>> For example I would like to have an
>>> icon to execute nightly versions of Thunderbird from an icon that
>>> would be added to the dash - is that possible in Gnome3?
>>
>> I don't know much about Gnome3, but I presume you'd do that the same way
>> as you do now: right-click on the Desktop, select Create Launcher, and
>> select the binary you want run.
>
> OK - I will be running another test later - I will try that along the
> way and see if it works!

I had a look at gnome-shell-list - seems that is not possible! One
answer was "There is no UI for it in GNOME Shell, but if you add/edit
launchers in
Alacarte (the GNOME 2 menu editor), Shell will pick it up." and
another.... "If you create a launcher on your desktop and copy it to
the hidden
.local/share/applications folder inside your home directory (Crtl-H)
they should get picked up"

There was a long thread about this very issue and it seems that the
provision to make a simple launcher will not be there unless things
have changed since about a month ago - and in addition there was
another longish thread about the provision of equivalent functionality
to applets which will not initially be in gnome3 but may (!) be added
later as extensions. So a weather notification that we are familiar
with on the taskbar will not be permanently visible in gnome3 - but
there may be some weather information available for access via the
calendar or similar - the is significantly different to what we have
been used to in gnome 2! There is some overview information at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/ and
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design

Since gnome3 will be the default desktop for us at the next release I
felt it was pretty important to try and understand what it will and
will not do, and test it now that it is starting to become functional
in rawhide.

--
mike c