Old 02-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Tim

Default Recommendations: Simple Audio Recorder

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 19:17 -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> Looking for a simple audio recorder with built-in playback for foreign
> language practice. Commandline type okay. Will be using a Skype-type
> headset with integrated microphone--two separate plugs. Have found
> many audio recording studio programs, but don't need all that
> sophistication. Tried a couple, anyway, but neither recognized the
> mike. And, of course, recorded only silence.

Well, for simple GUI operation, there's gnome-sound-recorder (if it
still exists for current releases of Fedora). Though I use audacity if
I want to record anything.

You may need to play with the sound mixer, or multimedia preferences, to
set up the input that will be recorded. Some sound recorders have their
own input selectors, others just record what an outside setting
dictates.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Zoltan Hoppar

Hi,

I would like to suggest one of my favourite sound recorders, it's name
is Pulsecaster. It's usable for podcasting, but records anything that
you say into your mic. No need to terminal, it has nice gui, and uses
pulseaudio directly. What I really like it's simplyness - there is no
too much bells & whistles, but it do the task.

Cu,

Zoltan

2011/2/3 Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>:
> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 19:17 -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>> Looking for a simple audio recorder with built-in playback for foreign
>> language practice. *Commandline type okay. *Will be using a Skype-type
>> headset with integrated microphone--two separate plugs. *Have found
>> many audio recording studio programs, but don't need all that
>> sophistication. *Tried a couple, anyway, but neither recognized the
>> mike. *And, of course, recorded only silence.
>
> Well, for simple GUI operation, there's gnome-sound-recorder (if it
> still exists for current releases of Fedora). *Though I use audacity if
> I want to record anything.
>
> You may need to play with the sound mixer, or multimedia preferences, to
> set up the input that will be recorded. *Some sound recorders have their
> own input selectors, others just record what an outside setting
> dictates.
>
> --
> [tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
> 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686
>
> Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored. *I
> read messages from the public lists.

PGP:* 06853DF7

Old 02-03-2011, 02:52 PM
santosh

> From:*Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au>
> To:*Community support for Fedora users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
> Date:*Thu, 03 Feb 2011 18:33:10 +1030
> Subject:*Re: Recommendations: Simple Audio Recorder
> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 19:17 -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>> Looking for a simple audio recorder with built-in playback for foreign
>> language practice. *Commandline type okay. *Will be using a Skype-type
>> headset with integrated microphone--two separate plugs. *Have found
>> many audio recording studio programs, but don't need all that
>> sophistication. *Tried a couple, anyway, but neither recognized the
>> mike. *And, of course, recorded only silence.
>
> Well, for simple GUI operation, there's gnome-sound-recorder (if it
> still exists for current releases of Fedora). *Though I use audacity if
> I want to record anything.

Tim,

When I record online audio using audacity, it also records surrounding noise.
How do you block it in audacity ?

Few days before I was recording online audio in my laptop. At the same time
I was talking with my friend. Audacity recorded that online audio along with
my personal talk.
I want to record only the online audio, not any surrounding noise.
How to do it in audacity ?

--santosh

Old 02-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Thu, 2/3/11, Zoltan Hoppar <hopparz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to suggest one of my favourite sound
> recorders, it's name
> is Pulsecaster. It's usable for podcasting, but records
> anything that
> you say into your mic. No need to terminal, it has nice
> gui, and uses
> pulseaudio directly. What I really like it's simplyness -
> there is no
> too much bells & whistles, but it do the task.

Pulsecaster doesn't seem to be in my Fedora 12 repos or the, at least, the repos I have enabled. But I did find its web page. If I have to compile it from source, that's not a problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Patrick Bartek

--- On Thu, 2/3/11, Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 19:17 -0800,
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > Looking for a simple audio recorder with built-in
> playback for foreign
> > language practice.* Commandline type okay.*
> Will be using a Skype-type
> > headset with integrated microphone--two separate
> plugs.* Have found
> > many audio recording studio programs, but don't need
> all that
> > sophistication.* Tried a couple, anyway, but
> neither recognized the
> > mike.* And, of course, recorded only silence.
>
> Well, for simple GUI operation, there's
> gnome-sound-recorder (if it
> still exists for current releases of Fedora).* Though
> I use audacity if
> I want to record anything.
>
> [snip]

gnome-sound-recorder not listed in Fedora 12 repo, but that doesn't mean it's not available.

Tried audacity under Fedora 9, before I upgraded to 12, but couldn't get it to recognize the mike. But I'll consider it as a Plan B.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Tim

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 21:22 +0530, santosh wrote:
> When I record online audio using audacity, it also records surrounding
> noise. How do you block it in audacity ?
>
> Few days before I was recording online audio in my laptop. At the same
> time I was talking with my friend. Audacity recorded that online
> audio along with my personal talk.
> I want to record only the online audio, not any surrounding noise.
> How to do it in audacity ?

This sounds like a mixer problem, and a problem that you'll have to deal
with no matter what program you use for recording.

Your sound hardware has more than one potential sound source
(microphones, line inputs, CD inputs, etc.), and it's possible to
combine them together (mixing), or select to only record from one of
them.

Depending on your particular sound card, and the drivers for it, you'll
have options for mixing or selecting record sources, and different
controls to play with, compared to other cards. Which is one reason why
I can't give you a direct answer about how to do it with your hardware.

You'll want to find a controller for your hardware (CLI: alsamixer,
Gnome used to have gnome-volume-control, and I don't recall what KDE
uses). And look through what options it offers, including the
preferences. Look for options about which input will be recorded, mute
and turn down mixer controls for things you don't want (e.g. microphone
inputs, CD inputs, MODEM audio hardware, etc.).

When it comes to recording sound already being generated by the computer
(e.g. radio streams), some sound cards can't do it (my laptop can't, as
far as I can tell). Others do it in different ways. You may have an
option for capturing the PCM stream, you may have to record the main
output from the audio hardware. My desktop PC has lets me record by
picking "VOL" as the source.