Old 02-03-2011, 02:56 AM
don fisher

Default Problems exporting partitions via NFS

I have three systems, two Ubuntu and one F14. I am trying to move to
F14. Currently I can mount any of the Ubuntu the systems on the three
computers. But when I try to mount the file system exported from F14 I
receive a message from NFS:

mount.nfs: No route to host

I can ping the F14 system, so the name resolution should be ok. I use
the same /etc/exports file on all machines, so is is probably not the
problem.

Is there anything I need to set up with iptables, or PAM?

I am working from the command line. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 20:56 -0700, don fisher wrote:
> I have three systems, two Ubuntu and one F14. I am trying to move to
> F14. Currently I can mount any of the Ubuntu the systems on the three
> computers. But when I try to mount the file system exported from F14 I
> receive a message from NFS:
>
> mount.nfs: No route to host
>
> I can ping the F14 system, so the name resolution should be ok. I use
> the same /etc/exports file on all machines, so is is probably not the
> problem.
>
> Is there anything I need to set up with iptables, or PAM?
>
> I am working from the command line. Any advice appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Have you adjusted your firewall (iptables) in F14 to allow NFS?

poc

Old 02-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 03 February 2011 03:56:40 don fisher wrote:
> I have three systems, two Ubuntu and one F14. I am trying to move to
> F14. Currently I can mount any of the Ubuntu the systems on the three
> computers. But when I try to mount the file system exported from F14 I
> receive a message from NFS:
>
> mount.nfs: No route to host
>
> I can ping the F14 system, so the name resolution should be ok. I use
> the same /etc/exports file on all machines, so is is probably not the
> problem.
>
> Is there anything I need to set up with iptables, or PAM?
>
> I am working from the command line. Any advice appreciated.

I had similar problems in mounting from fstab. It turned out that I was using
mount commands suited to nfs3 and Fedora was using nfs4. This is one of the
fstab lines that works for me - I'm sure that from that you can find what you
need.

192.168.0.xx:/home /mnt/server_home nfs4 rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

Anne

Old 02-03-2011, 05:10 PM
don fisher

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 20:56 -0700, don fisher wrote:
>> I have three systems, two Ubuntu and one F14. I am trying to move to
>> F14. Currently I can mount any of the Ubuntu the systems on the three
>> computers. But when I try to mount the file system exported from F14 I
>> receive a message from NFS:
>>
>> mount.nfs: No route to host
>>
>> I can ping the F14 system, so the name resolution should be ok. I use
>> the same /etc/exports file on all machines, so is is probably not the
>> problem.
>>
>> Is there anything I need to set up with iptables, or PAM?
>>
>> I am working from the command line. Any advice appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Have you adjusted your firewall (iptables) in F14 to allow NFS?
>
> poc

Thanks. I turned off iptables using system-config-services and was able
to mount the system remotely. The addition of nsf4 in the fstab did no
appear to be required.

Thanks again. Now I have to relearn how to edit iptables:-)
Don

Old 02-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 11:10 -0700, don fisher wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 20:56 -0700, don fisher wrote:
> >> I have three systems, two Ubuntu and one F14. I am trying to move to
> >> F14. Currently I can mount any of the Ubuntu the systems on the three
> >> computers. But when I try to mount the file system exported from F14 I
> >> receive a message from NFS:
> >>
> >> mount.nfs: No route to host
> >>
> >> I can ping the F14 system, so the name resolution should be ok. I use
> >> the same /etc/exports file on all machines, so is is probably not the
> >> problem.
> >>
> >> Is there anything I need to set up with iptables, or PAM?
> >>
> >> I am working from the command line. Any advice appreciated.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > Have you adjusted your firewall (iptables) in F14 to allow NFS?
> >
> > poc
> >
> Thanks. I turned off iptables using system-config-services and was able
> to mount the system remotely. The addition of nsf4 in the fstab did no
> appear to be required.
>
> Thanks again. Now I have to relearn how to edit iptables:-)

Just use system-config-firewall. It's pretty simple.

poc

Old 02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Tim

don fisher:
>> Thanks. I turned off iptables using system-config-services and was able
>> to mount the system remotely. The addition of nsf4 in the fstab did no
>> appear to be required.
>>
>> Thanks again. Now I have to relearn how to edit iptables:-)

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> Just use system-config-firewall. It's pretty simple.

This isn't the old "NFS uses random ports" issue, that required
configuring NFS to use fixed ports?

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686