-   -   Some thoughts on Audacious in Fedora (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/484401-some-thoughts-audacious-fedora.html)

Michael Schwendt 02-02-2011 06:55 PM

Some thoughts on Audacious in Fedora

On Wed, 02 Feb 2011 14:30:14 -0500, Digimer wrote:

> > Audacious refuses to load or play MP3s for me since a recent update
> > (Fedora 14 x86_64). I'm guessing this is the kind of problem you are
> > talking about?

Yes. The updated -freeworld plugin packages are in linked within the
rpmfusion bugzilla, but have not been pushed to the repos yet.

> I installed the audacious-related RPMs from your repo, but MP3s still
> fail to play with the decoder error.

Sure. You've misunderstood the purpose of the 2.5 repo. It is not
expected to "fix" the MP3 problem with Audacious 2.4.3 in Fedora 14.
It cannot fix it, since it cannot include MP3 and other -freeworld plugins.

Josh Boyer 02-02-2011 08:29 PM

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Digimer <linux@alteeve.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 01:32 PM, Digimer wrote:
>>> * http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/mschwendt/audacious-2.5/fedora-audacious-2.5.repo
>>>
>>> This is not only for users to take a sneak peek at Audacious 2.5 development,
>>> but also to emphasize that the dependency on 3rd party plugin packages can
>>> be problematic.
>>
>> Audacious refuses to load or play MP3s for me since a recent update
>> (Fedora 14 x86_64). I'm guessing this is the kind of problem you are
>> talking about? If so, I'll give this a shot and report my success or
>> lack thereof.
>
> I installed the audacious-related RPMs from your repo, but MP3s still
> fail to play with the decoder error.

Michael mentioned exactly that would happen. 2.5-alpha1 is not
compatible with older plugin versions. You have a large variety of
plugins still built for 2.4.0 (which also don't work with 2.4.3).
Please read more carefully.

Also, <insert the usual message here about Fedora not supporting
various media codecs and needing to take those issues to the 3rd party
repos>.

josh

Chris Jones 02-03-2011 10:38 PM

Some thoughts on Audacious in Fedora

So it seems that Audacious is not as flexible between its own different
version releases? What is with that?
Surely that much can't change between releases to make the plug-ins fail
between versions?

--
Chris Jones

PHOTO RESOLUTIONS - Photo - Graphic - Web
C and L Jones - Proprietors

ABN: 98 317 740 240
WWW: http://photoresolutions.freehostia.com
@: chrisjones@comcen.com.au or photoresolutions@comcen.com.au

Michael Schwendt 02-04-2011 12:18 PM

On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 09:38:37 +1000, Chris wrote:

> So it seems that Audacious is not as flexible between its own different
> version releases? What is with that?

Well, let's not question the developers' decision to bump their "Generic
Plugin API Version" and require plugins to be rebuilt.

Unlike XMMS and a couple of other players, Audacious is still being
developed further. Steadily - in some parts. Hence the occasional change
to plugin interface definitions and base library APIs isn't unusal. And
it's no hard problem. There is a circular dependency between the base
Audacious player and its base plugins anyway. Two separate tarballs, both
in Fedora.

If a plugin (also in its binary form) requires certain new features at
run-time, there must be ways to express that dependency with either the
plugin failing to load (with unresolvable symbols, for example) or
Audacious refusing to load the plugin due to plugin version mismatch.

> Surely that much can't change between releases to make the plug-ins fail
> between versions?

Does that matter? Even if it could be avoided for a minor version release,
there still may be a change for the next major release, such as seen in
2.5-alpha1. It's the packagers' job to implement counter-measures with RPM
dependencies. This is the latest spec change:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=audacious-plugins.git;a=blob;f=audacious-plugins.spec;h=6b79e3424ac08c72e132ad493b8171c1b0a 4a477;hb=f8f7c618d613a52925f286a94f5c64097976c0d4