Old 02-01-2011, 05:39 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default mplayer doesn't like me again

On 01/31/2011 11:50 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> It doesn't tell me my computer is too slow,
> it just gives me a rather pixelated image.
> People look like there made of burlap.
>
> The output from mplayer has two things
> that look like error messages to me.
>
>> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
>> object file: No such file or directory
>> [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
>
> and
>
>> [VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure.0.051 ct: -0.030 0/ 0 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
>
> I don't even know why it looks for VDPAU.
> I have a GeForce card.

That depends on *which* GeForce card you have. vdpau will only help you
if you have a GeForce 6 series card or later *and* are running with the
nvidia driver. The more later, the more it can help you. If you are
using nouveau or nv, you can't benefit from vdpau support.

> Presumably things would go badly if it found libvdpau_nvidia.so .
>
> Once upon a time, I knew what DRI failure meant,
> but I've forgotten and googling turns up questions but no answers.

DRI = Direct Rendering Infrastructure. It is the main support for 3D
acceleration in X11 these days. In the video world, DRM is the Direct
Rendering Manager. Wikipedia is your friend.

> /var/log/Xorg.0.log includes, among other things:
>
>> [ 86356.565] Dac detection success
>> [ 86356.565] (II) RADEON(0): Output: DVI-0, Detected Monitor Type: 0
>> [ 86356.565] Unhandled monitor type 0
>> [ 86356.565] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output DVI-0

Whoa! This looks like you have a Radeon card of some sort. Radeon is
made by AMD these days (used to be ATI). GeForce is made by nVidia.

> from mplayer -V, the last lineis
>
>> vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..

Yeah, I get this message from both my laptop and my desktop. The former
has an ATI chipset, the latter an nVidia one.

What is in your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file? It should show the vo
options it will try and use. Mine uses:

vo=xv,xvidix,

and I don't have those problems.... The man page for mplayer for video
output options. You can override by using the -vo command line option.
See what works best for you.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@verizon.net

Old 02-01-2011, 05:42 AM
Mogens Kjaer

On 02/01/2011 05:50 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> Any ideas?

Do you have an old config file hanging around in ~/.mplayer ?

Try renaming ~/.mplayer and start mplayer again.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, mk@lemo.dk
http://www.lemo.dk

Old 02-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> On 01/31/2011 11:50 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> It doesn't tell me my computer is too slow,
>> it just gives me a rather pixelated image.
>> People look like there made of burlap.
>>
>> The output from mplayer has two things
>> that look like error messages to me.
>>
>>> Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared
>>> object file: No such file or directory
>>> [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
>>
>> and
>>
>>> [VD_FFMPEG] DRI failure.0.051 ct: -0.030 0/ 0 ??% ??% ??,?% 0 0
>>
>> I don't even know why it looks for VDPAU.
>> I have a GeForce card.
>
> That depends on *which* GeForce card you have. vdpau will only help you
> if you have a GeForce 6 series card or later *and* are running with the
> nvidia driver. The more later, the more it can help you. If you are
> using nouveau or nv, you can't benefit from vdpau support.

Arrrg.
I remembered that I didn't have nvidia,
but I remembered the wrong name.
I'm on my third video card.
The first was a radeon.
After I zapped that one, I had it replaced with
an nvidia card because it had AGP and I could find it.
Having cooked or otherwise damaged that one,
I replaced it with a VisionTek Radeon HD 3650.
Again was the AGP card I could find.
I suspect that a Radeon wouldn't play well with a *nvidia.so .

>> Presumably things would go badly if it found libvdpau_nvidia.so .
>>
>> Once upon a time, I knew what DRI failure meant,
>> but I've forgotten and googling turns up questions but no answers.
>
> DRI = Direct Rendering Infrastructure. It is the main support for 3D
> acceleration in X11 these days. In the video world, DRM is the Direct
> Rendering Manager. Wikipedia is your friend.
>
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log includes, among other things:
>>
>>> [ 86356.565] Dac detection success
>>> [ 86356.565] (II) RADEON(0): Output: DVI-0, Detected Monitor Type: 0
>>> [ 86356.565] Unhandled monitor type 0
>>> [ 86356.565] (II) RADEON(0): EDID for output DVI-0
>
> Whoa! This looks like you have a Radeon card of some sort. Radeon is
> made by AMD these days (used to be ATI). GeForce is made by nVidia.

Yup.
As noted above, I remembered the wrong name.
By the time I got around to posting a message,
my brain was too scrambled to take the hint.

>> from mplayer -V, the last lineis
>>
>>> vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not initialized..
>
> Yeah, I get this message from both my laptop and my desktop. The former
> has an ATI chipset, the latter an nVidia one.
>
> What is in your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file? It should show the vo
> options it will try and use. Mine uses:
>
> vo=xv,xvidix,

I'm at work, so I don't know for sure,
Somewhere I think a saw a statement that mplayer would use a built-in list.
The list was not specified.

> and I don't have those problems.... The man page for mplayer for video
> output options. You can override by using the -vo command line option.
> See what works best for you.
>
>> Any ideas?

Thank you for your help and your patience.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.

Old 02-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Mogens Kjaer wrote:

> On 02/01/2011 05:50 AM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> Any ideas?
>
> Do you have an old config file hanging around in ~/.mplayer ?

Sort of.
It's empty.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:15 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 02/01/2011 01:40 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

> Arrrg.
> I remembered that I didn't have nvidia,
> but I remembered the wrong name.
> I'm on my third video card.
> The first was a radeon.
> After I zapped that one, I had it replaced with
> an nvidia card because it had AGP and I could find it.
> Having cooked or otherwise damaged that one,
> I replaced it with a VisionTek Radeon HD 3650.
> Again was the AGP card I could find.
> I suspect that a Radeon wouldn't play well with a *nvidia.so .

Yes, AFAIK, vdpau support is only for nVidia cards. Buts, its really
nice support. If you ever seem full HD running on an nVidia netbook and
an ATOM processor, its awesome! vdpau support means you don't need a
honking CPU to be able to display full HD anymore. That's why when I
bought my last motherboard (which came with an builtin Radeon HD
chipset) I also bought an nVidia GT210 PCI-E video card: for the VDPAU
support. It works great! (OK, The AMD Phenom X4 processor probably
helps too!) But, enough advocating for nVidia....

> As noted above, I remembered the wrong name.
> By the time I got around to posting a message,
> my brain was too scrambled to take the hint.
>
>>> from mplayer -V, the last lineis

>> Yeah, I get this message from both my laptop and my desktop. The former
>> has an ATI chipset, the latter an nVidia one.
>>
>> What is in your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file? It should show the vo
>> options it will try and use. Mine uses:
>>
>> vo=xv,xvidix,
>
> I'm at work, so I don't know for sure,
> Somewhere I think a saw a statement that mplayer would use a built-in list.
> The list was not specified.

Without specifying a list (and after exhausting the modes in the list if
it ends with a ","), mplayer will go though all the modes in its own
order. Seem like vpdau is higher up on the list than the mode you need,
so it tries it before what you need. You might want to determine what
the video mode you need is and add it to your system's mplayer.conf file
so it finds it sooner.

> Thank you for your help and your patience.

np

Old 02-02-2011, 01:43 AM
Michael Hennebry

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> On 02/01/2011 01:40 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
>
>> Arrrg.
>> I remembered that I didn't have nvidia,
>> but I remembered the wrong name.
>> I'm on my third video card.
>> The first was a radeon.
>> After I zapped that one, I had it replaced with
>> an nvidia card because it had AGP and I could find it.
>> Having cooked or otherwise damaged that one,
>> I replaced it with a VisionTek Radeon HD 3650.
>> Again was the AGP card I could find.
>> I suspect that a Radeon wouldn't play well with a *nvidia.so .

>>> What is in your /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file? It should show the vo
>>> options it will try and use. Mine uses:
>>> vo=xv,xvidix,

>From mplayer -vo help:
vdpau VDPAU with X11
xv X11/Xv
gl_nosw OpenGL no software rendering
x11 X11 ( XImage/Shm )
xover General X11 driver for overlay capable video output drivers
sdl SDL YUV/RGB/BGR renderer (SDL v1.1.7+ only!)
gl OpenGL
gl2 X11 (OpenGL) - multiple textures version
dga DGA ( Direct Graphic Access V2.0 )
fbdev Framebuffer Device
fbdev2 Framebuffer Device
matrixview MatrixView (OpenGL)
aa AAlib
caca libcaca
dxr3 DXR3/H+ video out
v4l2 V4L2 MPEG Video Decoder Output
xvidix X11 (VIDIX)
cvidix console VIDIX
null Null video output
xvmc XVideo Motion Compensation
mpegpes MPEG-PES to DVB card
yuv4mpeg yuv4mpeg output for mjpegtools
png PNG file
jpeg JPEG file
gif89a animated GIF output
tga Targa output
pnm PPM/PGM/PGMYUV file
md5sum md5sum of each frame

>From the command line I tried
xv: DRI failure, pixelation
gl_nosw: pixelation, but no DRI failure message
dga: mess
fbdev: cannot open /dev/fb, no video
xvidix: pci errors, no video
x11: DRI failure, pixelation

dga: mess:
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [dga] 640x480 => 640x480 BGRA
vo_dga: DGA 2.0 available :-) Can switch resolution AND depth!
vo_dga: Selected hardware mode 640 x 480 @ 59 Hz @ depth 24, bitspp
32.
vo_dga: Video parameters by codec: 640 x 480, depth 24, bitspp 32.
vo_dga: Framebuffer mapping failed!!!
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
Too many buffered pts

>> I'm at work, so I don't know for sure,
>> Somewhere I think a saw a statement that mplayer would use a built-in list.
>> The list was not specified.
>
> Without specifying a list (and after exhausting the modes in the list if
> it ends with a ","), mplayer will go though all the modes in its own
> order. Seem like vpdau is higher up on the list than the mode you need,
> so it tries it before what you need. You might want to determine what
> the video mode you need is and add it to your system's mplayer.conf file
> so it finds it sooner.

In light of the above, I'm not sure I have a useable mode.
Considering that I have a rather high end video card,
'twould be nice if I did.
I really hate the poke-it-and-see-what-it-does method.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

On 02/01/2011 09:43 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:

>>From the command line I tried
> xv: DRI failure, pixelation
> gl_nosw: pixelation, but no DRI failure message
> dga: mess
> fbdev: cannot open /dev/fb, no video
> xvidix: pci errors, no video
> x11: DRI failure, pixelation
>
> dga: mess:
> Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
> VO: [dga] 640x480 => 640x480 BGRA
> vo_dga: DGA 2.0 available :-) Can switch resolution AND depth!
> vo_dga: Selected hardware mode 640 x 480 @ 59 Hz @ depth 24, bitspp
> 32.
> vo_dga: Video parameters by codec: 640 x 480, depth 24, bitspp 32.
> vo_dga: Framebuffer mapping failed!!!
> FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
> Too many buffered pts

> In light of the above, I'm not sure I have a useable mode.
> Considering that I have a rather high end video card,
> 'twould be nice if I did.

Let's start at the beginning:

What is the output of "lspci | grep VGA"
Also, what video driver are you using to drive it?
(Check the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to be sure, but you could also
look in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if you have one.)
Finally, what is the result of "glxinfo | grep direct"

That should tell me exactly which video "card" is in your machine, which
video driver is being used, and whether or not DRI is being used. We
can go from there.

> I really hate the poke-it-and-see-what-it-does method.

So do it. Lets get some facts straight first....

Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> Let's start at the beginning:
>
> What is the output of "lspci | grep VGA"
> Also, what video driver are you using to drive it?
> (Check the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to be sure, but you could also
> look in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if you have one.)
> Finally, what is the result of "glxinfo | grep direct"

Will do.
It's even on my list of things to do when I have video trouble.
I'll probably find the list once I get mplayer working.
For now, it's back to work.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:35 AM
Michael Hennebry

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> Let's start at the beginning:
>
> What is the output of "lspci | grep VGA"

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series

> Also, what video driver are you using to drive it?

> (Check the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to be sure, but you could also

[hennebry@localhost log]$ grep river Xorg.0.log
[ 24.065] (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd',
'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
[ 24.065] X.Org Video Driver: 7.0
[ 24.065] X.Org XInput driver : 9.0
[ 24.237] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
[ 24.308] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
[ 24.308] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
[ 24.309] (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets:
[ 24.345] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
[ 24.352] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
[ 24.561] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
[ 24.949] (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following
operations:
[ 25.125] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_texture_from_pixmap with driver
support
[ 25.803] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[ 25.803] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 9.0
[ 26.094] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
[hennebry@localhost log]$

> look in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if you have one.)

Section "Device"
#...
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "radeon"
VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
BoardName "Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"

> Finally, what is the result of "glxinfo | grep direct"

[hennebry@localhost X11]$ glxinfo | grep direct
IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 0
direct rendering: Yes
[hennebry@localhost X11]$

> That should tell me exactly which video "card" is in your machine, which
> video driver is being used, and whether or not DRI is being used. We
> can go from there.

Could having an AGP card be causing my problems?
My computer doesn't do PCIX.

Thank you for your patience.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:38 AM
Mark LaPierre

On 02/02/2011 08:35 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2011, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>
>> Let's start at the beginning:
>>
>> What is the output of "lspci | grep VGA"
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series
>
>> Also, what video driver are you using to drive it?
>
>> (Check the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to be sure, but you could also
>
> [hennebry@localhost log]$ grep river Xorg.0.log
> [ 24.065] (WW) AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using drivers 'kbd',
> 'mouse' or 'vmmouse' will be disabled.
> [ 24.065] X.Org Video Driver: 7.0
> [ 24.065] X.Org XInput driver : 9.0
> [ 24.237] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/radeon_drv.so
> [ 24.308] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
> [ 24.308] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
> [ 24.309] (II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets:
> [ 24.345] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
> [ 24.352] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
> [ 24.561] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 7.0
> [ 24.949] (II) EXA(0): Driver registered support for the following
> operations:
> [ 25.125] (II) AIGLX: enabled GLX_texture_from_pixmap with driver
> support
> [ 25.803] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
> [ 25.803] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 9.0
> [ 26.094] (II) No input driver/identifier specified (ignoring)
> [hennebry@localhost log]$
>
>> look in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file if you have one.)
>
> Section "Device"
> #...
> Identifier "Card0"
> Driver "radeon"
> VendorName "ATI Technologies Inc"
> BoardName "Mobility Radeon HD 3600 Series"
> BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
>
>> Finally, what is the result of "glxinfo | grep direct"
>
> [hennebry@localhost X11]$ glxinfo | grep direct
> IRQ's not enabled, falling back to busy waits: 2 0
> direct rendering: Yes
> [hennebry@localhost X11]$
>
>> That should tell me exactly which video "card" is in your machine, which
>> video driver is being used, and whether or not DRI is being used. We
>> can go from there.
>
> Could having an AGP card be causing my problems?
> My computer doesn't do PCIX.
>
> Thank you for your patience.

I've got an AGP card in my machine and I've never had a problem. I've
switched monitors and Linux distributions a few times too.

/(_)
^ ^ Mark LaPierre
Registerd Linux user No #267004
www.counter.li.org
****
In a free world without fences, who needs gates.
**
Help Microsoft stamp out piracy - give Linux to a friend today.
**
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it.
To mess up an MS Windows box, you just need to *look* at it.
**
learn linux:
'HowtoForge' http://howtoforge.com/
****