Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Dick Roark

Default Problem with NetworkManager (self-inflicted)

It all started with Puppy Linux 5.2.* I setup a LiveCD and jumped in to get familiar with it.* I had some trouble with connectivity.* I eventually got around to trying my linksys Wireless-G dongle.* This showed some promise although I was unable to find the correct Puppy driver for the dongle and eventually removed the Wireless-G and shelved that project.** Later on, I tried to log on with Fedora and found that NetworkManager was now unusable.* Okay, after fiddling around with it for a while, I did a complete reinstall of Fedora (including reformatting the disk) and low-and-behold NetworkManager still doesn't work. I would have thought the Fedora reinstall would have installed the correct driver but apparently it didn't.* I
am able to send this because I have plugged the Wireless-G back in. (aargh!) * Has
anyone ever seen this sort of thing?

Old 01-31-2011, 01:41 PM
Robert Nichols

On 01/31/2011 07:45 AM, Dick Roark wrote:
> It all started with Puppy Linux 5.2. I setup a LiveCD and jumped in to
> get familiar with it. I had some trouble with connectivity. I
> eventually got around to trying my linksys Wireless-G dongle. This
> showed some promise although I was unable to find the correct Puppy
> driver for the dongle and eventually removed the Wireless-G and shelved
> that project. Later on, I tried to log on with Fedora and found that
> NetworkManager was now unusable. Okay, after fiddling around with it
> for a while, I did a complete reinstall of Fedora (including
> reformatting the disk) and low-and-behold NetworkManager still doesn't
> work. I would have thought the Fedora reinstall would have installed the
> correct driver but apparently it didn't. I am able to send this because
> I have plugged the Wireless-G back in. (aargh!) Has anyone ever seen
> this sort of thing?

The only thing like that that happens to me is with one laptop where, if
I happen to plug in the ethernet cable at just the wrong time during the
BIOS power-on initialization, the ethernet port gets seriously b0rked
and I have to turn off power and unplug the battery for 10 seconds or so
to get everything working again.

Do NOT delete it.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM
Harish Pillay

> It all started with Puppy Linux 5.2.* I setup a LiveCD and jumped in to get
> familiar with it.* I had some trouble with connectivity.* I eventually got
> around to trying my linksys Wireless-G dongle.* This showed some promise
> although I was unable to find the correct Puppy driver for the dongle and
> eventually removed the Wireless-G and shelved that project.** Later on, I
> tried to log on with Fedora and found that NetworkManager was now unusable.
> Okay, after fiddling around with it for a while, I did a complete reinstall
> of Fedora (including reformatting the disk) and low-and-behold
> NetworkManager still doesn't work. I would have thought the Fedora reinstall
> would have installed the correct driver but apparently it didn't.* I am able
> to send this because I have plugged the Wireless-G back in. (aargh!) * Has
> anyone ever seen this sort of thing?

Actually, the easier way is to do the following:

yum reinstall NetworkManager*

and it will replace the existing NetworkManager.

I actually don't understand the issue you are facing. Your machine has
some OS installed in the harddisk or are you working entirely off of a
liveCD?

Harish

Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Dick Roark

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Harish Pillay <harish.pillay@gmail.com> wrote:

> It all started with Puppy Linux 5.2.* I setup a LiveCD and jumped in to get

> familiar with it.* I had some trouble with connectivity.* I eventually got

> around to trying my linksys Wireless-G dongle.* This showed some promise

> although I was unable to find the correct Puppy driver for the dongle and

> eventually removed the Wireless-G and shelved that project.** Later on, I

> tried to log on with Fedora and found that NetworkManager was now unusable.

> Okay, after fiddling around with it for a while, I did a complete reinstall

> of Fedora (including reformatting the disk) and low-and-behold

> NetworkManager still doesn't work. I would have thought the Fedora reinstall

> would have installed the correct driver but apparently it didn't.* I am able

> to send this because I have plugged the Wireless-G back in. (aargh!) * Has

> anyone ever seen this sort of thing?

Actually, the easier way is to do the following:

yum reinstall NetworkManager*

and it will replace the existing NetworkManager.

I actually don't understand the issue you are facing. *Your machine has

some OS installed in the harddisk or are you working entirely off of a

liveCD?

Harish

Actually, I think it's a hardware problem with the Dlink PCI wireless card.* Reinstalling NetworkManager was the first thing I tried. I've done two cold reinstalls with the same results.* The Puppy Linux is a live CD. By now, there are no remaining traces on the Puppy Linux. I'm going to remove the Dlink card and have a look at it.* Once in a blue moon, even reseating a card makes a difference.* I don't believe it's a Fedora problem because on both the reinstalls the Wireless-G USB dongle works just fine.* To me, it's just gotta be a hardware problem.* I expect to fix it today.* Will keep you updated.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:20 AM
Dick Roark

> It all started with Puppy Linux 5.2.* I setup a LiveCD and jumped in to get

> familiar with it.* I had some trouble with connectivity.* I eventually got

> around to trying my linksys Wireless-G dongle.* This showed some promise

> although I was unable to find the correct Puppy driver for the dongle and

> eventually removed the Wireless-G and shelved that project.** Later on, I

> tried to log on with Fedora and found that NetworkManager was now unusable.

> Okay, after fiddling around with it for a while, I did a complete reinstall

> of Fedora (including reformatting the disk) and low-and-behold

> NetworkManager still doesn't work. I would have thought the Fedora reinstall

> would have installed the correct driver but apparently it didn't.* I am able

> to send this because I have plugged the Wireless-G back in. (aargh!) * Has

> anyone ever seen this sort of thing?

Actually, the easier way is to do the following:

yum reinstall NetworkManager*

and it will replace the existing NetworkManager.

I actually don't understand the issue you are facing. *Your machine has

some OS installed in the harddisk or are you working entirely off of a

liveCD?

Harish

Actually, I think it's a hardware problem with the Dlink PCI wireless card.* Reinstalling NetworkManager was the first thing I tried. I've done two cold reinstalls with the same results.* The Puppy Linux is a live CD. By now, there are no remaining traces on the Puppy Linux. I'm going to remove the Dlink card and have a look at it.* Once in a blue moon, even reseating a card makes a difference.* I don't believe it's a Fedora problem because on both the reinstalls the Wireless-G USB dongle works just fine.* To me, it's just gotta be a hardware problem.* I expect to fix it today.* Will keep you updated.

The problem did turn out to be the wireless PCI card.* Took it out, cleaned it, put some Pro-Gold on the contacts, reinstalled it and we're off to the races.*