-   -   OpenOffice Writer (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/482870-openoffice-writer.html)

JB 01-29-2011 08:04 PM

OpenOffice Writer

Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf <at> cha.forthnet.gr> writes:

> Greetings ,
>
> Lately i have been having a lot of issues running the Word Processor of
> OpenOffice .
> It just seem to crash a bit after i try to execute it without a message
> or something .

try this first (as root):
# yum check
# rpm -V openoffice.org-writer

JB

William Stock 01-29-2011 08:21 PM

OpenOffice Writer

On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 22:00 +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:

Greetings ,

Lately i have been having a lot of issues running the Word Processor of
OpenOffice .

Here is a comparison of what you have and what I have.* Obviously there are some options...

the leftmost items are unique to your installation, the indented items are common to both.

I haven't had any difficulties.

************** openoffice.org-base-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-base-core-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-brand-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-calc-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-calc-core-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-core-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-draw-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-draw-core-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-emailmerge-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-extendedPDF-1.4-10.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-graphicfilter-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-impress-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-impress-core-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-javafilter-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-langpack-de-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-langpack-el_GR-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-langpack-en-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-langpack-fr-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-langpack-it-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-langpack-pl_PL-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-langpack-ru-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-math-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-math-core-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-ogltrans-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-ooolatex-4.0.0-0.8.beta2.fc14.1.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-opensymbol-fonts-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.noarch

*************** openoffice.org-pdfimport-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-presentation-minimizer-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-presenter-screen-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-pyuno-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-report-builder-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-ure-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-voikko-3.1.2-1.fc14.x86_64

******* openoffice.org-wiki-publisher-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-writer-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-writer-core-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

*************** openoffice.org-xsltfilter-3.3.0-19.2.fc14.x86_64

Good luck

Bill

2 + 2 = 5 for sufficiently large values of 2.

Kostas Sfakiotakis 01-29-2011 09:46 PM

OpenOffice Writer

On 29/01/2011 11:04 μμ, JB wrote:
> Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf <at> cha.forthnet.gr> writes:
>

> > Greetings ,
> >
> > Lately i have been having a lot of issues running the Word
> > Processor of OpenOffice . It just seem to crash a bit after i try
> > to execute it without a message or something . ...
>
> try this first (as root):

# yum check

I did and guess what ? i got what seems to be an error of something like
that

[root@Orion ~]# yum check
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding el_GR to language list
suck-4.3.2-31.fc14.x86_64 has installed conflicts leafnode:
leafnode-1.11.7-4.fc12.x86_64
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^

what is this story about ?

Error: check all

Now trying the check all thing

[root@Orion ~]# yum check all
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
Adding el_GR to language list
suck-4.3.2-31.fc14.x86_64 has installed conflicts leafnode:
leafnode-1.11.7-4.fc12.x86_64
Error: check ['all']

# rpm -V openoffice.org-writer

This one returns nothing . I guess tha means that it checks out fine

JB 01-29-2011 10:29 PM

OpenOffice Writer

Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf <at> cha.forthnet.gr> writes:

> On 29/01/2011 11:04 μμ, JB wrote:
> > Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf <at> cha.forthnet.gr> writes:
> >

> > > Greetings ,
> > >
> > > Lately i have been having a lot of issues running the Word
> > > Processor of OpenOffice . It just seem to crash a bit after i try
> > > to execute it without a message or something . ...
> >
> > try this first (as root):
>
> # yum check
>
> I did and guess what ? i got what seems to be an error of something like
> that
>
> [root <at> Orion ~]# yum check
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding el_GR to language list
> suck-4.3.2-31.fc14.x86_64 has installed conflicts leafnode:
> leafnode-1.11.7-4.fc12.x86_64
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^
>
> what is this story about ?
>
> Error: check all
>
> Now trying the check all thing
>
> [root <at> Orion ~]# yum check all
> Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, langpacks, presto, refresh-packagekit
> Adding el_GR to language list
> suck-4.3.2-31.fc14.x86_64 has installed conflicts leafnode:
> leafnode-1.11.7-4.fc12.x86_64
> Error: check ['all']

This is not related to OpenOffice. You can fix that later.
You can get some clue with these:
$ man package-cleanup
# package-cleanup --orphans
# package-cleanup --problems
# package-cleanup --dupes
# package-cleanup --leaves
Do not rush to remove packages shown there immediately (it may be even
dangerous to do it - they are not foolproof).

In case of packages suck and leafnode, if you do not use them in particular,
just try to remove them, and eventually reinstall them again, by which they
are supposed to clean themselves up:
# yum remove suck
# yum remove leafnode

> # rpm -V openoffice.org-writer
>
> This one returns nothing . I guess tha means that it checks out fine
>
> > JB

Now with regard to OpenOffice.
I would suggest that you reinstall Writer:
# yum reinstall openoffice.org-writer

If that does not help, reinstall all your OO packages:
# yum reinstall openoffice.org-*

Tell us how you start your OO Writer when you get the error ?
What desktop are you on: GNOME, KDE, etc ?
- from the menu ?
If so, what is in that menu's launcher ?
Applications - Office - OpenOffice.org Writer
right click your mouse on OpenOffice.org Writer and select "Add this
launcher to panel"
Then on the panel right click on the OO Writer icon, click properties and
tell us what is in Launcher Properties.
- from the panel ?
check properties as above
- from the command line ?

Just to make sure that you do not have any OO executable leftovers.
Please show us the output:
$ ps aux |grep -i office

JB

Kostas Sfakiotakis 01-30-2011 08:42 AM

OpenOffice Writer

On 30/01/2011 01:29 πμ, JB wrote:

< snip >

> Now with regard to OpenOffice. I would suggest that you reinstall
> Writer: # yum reinstall openoffice.org-writer
>
> If that does not help, reinstall all your OO packages: # yum
> reinstall openoffice.org-*
>
> Tell us how you start your OO Writer when you get the error ?

In any way i try to run it . For example if i download a document through
firefox and then ask it to open the file then Writer will crash . Mainly
i would
be worried about the fact that when i do the following Writer crashes

I start by pressing the f ( on the lower left corner ( yes by the way
it is the KDE desktop ) ) then i move on to the Applications tab then
to Office then to OpenOffice.org and finally to Writer .
>What desktop are you on: GNOME, KDE, etc ?

Am using KDE ( perhaps this will be of assistance
kdebase-4.5.5-1.fc14.x86_64 )

- from the menu ?

Yes from the menu .

> If so, what is in that menu's launcher ?

Yes

Applications - Office - OpenOffice.org Writer

That´s the path .

>right click your mouse on OpenOffice.org Writer and select
> "Add this launcher to panel"

A small problem here . I don´t get the option add this launcher to
panel but just "Add to Panel" assuming that was the intended option.

>Then on the panel right click on the OO Writer icon, click properties

A small problem here , i don´t have any properties option so am
assuming "Icon Settings"

>and tell us what is in Launcher Properties. - from the panel ?

The command that get´s executed is

openoffice.org -writer %U ( from the Panel )

check properties as above - from the command line ?

am not sure how do i do that .

> Just to make sure that you do not have any OO executable leftovers.

> Please show us the output: $ ps aux |grep -i office

Writer fired up normally ( from the panel ) and i got

[root@Orion ~]# ps aux |grep -i office
root 3453 0.0 0.0 106204 1380 ? S 11:08 0:00 /bin/sh
/usr/lib64/openoffice.org3/program/soffice -quickstart -nologo -nodefault
root 3484 0.1 2.6 1034528 102248 ? Sl 11:08 0:02
/usr/lib64/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin -quickstart -nologo
-nodefault
root 5917 0.0 0.0 103420 852 pts/1 S+ 11:34 0:00 grep
--color=auto -i office

The bogus thing here is that for some reason today for example i can use
Writer , tomorrow after some updates
i can´t and then again after some more updates i will probably be able
to use Writer again . Now Writer seems
to be working normally .

On a sidenote here , although it is quite irrelevant i have to add that
i did an

"rpmdb --rebuild" last night after your last email since i was under the
impression that something wasn´t going all that
well with the rpm database .

Anyway could u please remind me the command in order to see the last
updates ?

JB 01-30-2011 09:37 AM

OpenOffice Writer

Kostas Sfakiotakis <kostassf <at> cha.forthnet.gr> writes:

> > Tell us how you start your OO Writer when you get the error ?
>
> In any way i try to run it . For example if i download a document through
> firefox and then ask it to open the file then Writer will crash .

Leave this case for later.

> Mainly i would
> be worried about the fact that when i do the following Writer crashes
>
> I start by pressing the f ( on the lower left corner ( yes by the way
> it is the KDE desktop ) ) then i move on to the Applications tab then
> to Office then to OpenOffice.org and finally to Writer .

I undestand this will crash sometimes. I will come back to it in next post.

> >What desktop are you on: GNOME, KDE, etc ?
>
> Am using KDE ( perhaps this will be of assistance
> kdebase-4.5.5-1.fc14.x86_64 )
> The command that gets executed is
>
> openoffice.org -writer %U ( from the Panel )

This is OK.
Btw, I am in GNOME desktop, but I see you can find things I asked for in KDE.

> The bogus thing here is that for some reason today for example i can use
> Writer , tomorrow after some updates
> i cant and then again after some more updates i will probably be able
> to use Writer again . Now Writer seems
> to be working normally .

Do this to update and clean up your machine:
# yum distro-sync

If you can, reboot your machine (this will restart your desktop as well) to
reinitialize various dynamic libraries paths, etc.

> On a sidenote here , although it is quite irrelevant i have to add that
> i did an
>
> "rpmdb --rebuild" last night after your last email since i was under the
> impression that something wasnt going all that
> well with the rpm database .

That's fine.

> Anyway could u please remind me the command in order to see the last
> updates ?

# ls -al /var/log/yum*
# less /var/log/yum

JB

Kostas Sfakiotakis 01-30-2011 01:18 PM

OpenOffice Writer

On 30/01/2011 12:37 μμ, JB wrote:

> This is OK. Btw, I am in GNOME desktop, but I see you can find things
> I asked for in KDE.

Well , you pointed the way , beyond that there was only one place to go ,
so i didn´t actually discovered the New World . Well the fact that you
are using Gnome would explain this small differences .

> > ... The bogus thing here is that for some reason today for example
> > i can use Writer , tomorrow after some updates i can´t and then
> > again after some more updates i will probably be able to use Writer
> > again . Now Writer seems to be working normally . ...
>
> Do this to update and clean up your machine: # yum distro-sync
>
> If you can, reboot your machine (this will restart your desktop as
> well) to reinitialize various dynamic libraries paths, etc.
>
> > On a sidenote here , although it is quite irrelevant i have to add
> > that i did an
> >
> > "rpmdb --rebuild" last night after your last email since i was
> > under the impression that something wasn´t going all that well with
> > the rpm database .
>
> That's fine.
>
> > ... Anyway could u please remind me the command in order to see the
> > last updates ?

# ls -al /var/log/yum*
# less /var/log/yum

Well yes if i open the yum.log with an editor and go to the bottom i
will find the last updates .
The idea was that maybe a couple of updates that were done last night
might have fixed something
but i don´t think that they were relevant .

Jan 30 00:49:24 Updated: libgpod-0.8.0-3.fc14.x86_64
Jan 30 00:49:26 Updated: python-gpod-0.8.0-3.fc14.x86_64
Jan 30 00:49:33 Updated: 3:gnome-commander-1.2.8.10-1.fc14.x86_64
Jan 30 00:49:34 Updated: libgpod-sharp-0.8.0-3.fc14.x86_64
Jan 30 11:48:48 Erased: suck

These are the last updates but i don´t think that they might be the case
although that second package is python stuff which would make it a
cousine of
yum since yum is python too.

OK , going for that disto-sync.

Kostas Sfakiotakis 01-30-2011 01:43 PM