Old 01-29-2011, 02:37 PM
"compdoc"

Default tigervnc

I have tigervnc server installed on a fedora 14 box, and when I use the
Windows tigervnc client it is terribly slow.

Normally, I use the ultravnc windows client which is very fast, however when
I use it to connect to the tigervnc server, there is a long pause with a
black screen before the unlock popup comes up.

I think this is happening because the client and server are negotiating
which encoding to use. But I might be completely wrong.

After I log in, everything is fine - screen updates are fast and it works as
it should. But if I let it idle, the screen blacks out again and the long
pause occurs before the login prompt.

Does anyone know how to prevent the long pause, or even better, where I can
find vnc4server (Xvnc4) for fedora? Does it exist in some repo somewhere?

Vnc4server is very fast and doesn't have these pause issues.

Thanks for any help...

Old 01-30-2011, 03:49 PM
"Edg@r Rodolfo"

2011/1/29, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com>:
> I have tigervnc server installed on a fedora 14 box, and when I use the
> Windows tigervnc client it is terribly slow.
>
> Normally, I use the ultravnc windows client which is very fast, however when
> I use it to connect to the tigervnc server, there is a long pause with a
> black screen before the unlock popup comes up.
>
> I think this is happening because the client and server are negotiating
> which encoding to use. But I might be completely wrong.
>
> After I log in, everything is fine - screen updates are fast and it works as
> it should. But if I let it idle, the screen blacks out again and the long
> pause occurs before the login prompt.
>
> Does anyone know how to prevent the long pause, or even better, where I can
> find vnc4server (Xvnc4) for fedora? Does it exist in some repo somewhere?
>
> Vnc4server is very fast and doesn't have these pause issues.
>
> Thanks for any help...

I tried remote control on fedora 14 with vino server and vinagre
client, it was very good, but if you want vnc server you can try
search:
yum search vnc, if yuo can't see it, add rpmfusion, look..., you can
see vnc4server and others things more, but i recommended vino and
vinagre.

In windows you can use vnc viewer, for me ti was good...

Edguit@r
http://cybernautape.blogspot.com

Old 01-30-2011, 04:43 PM
"compdoc"

> yum search vnc, if you can't see it, add rpmfusion, look..., you can see
vnc4server and others things more, but i recommended vino and vinagre.

I tried searching with yum. And trying to find repos for fedora has been a
little difficult. Thanks for pointing to rpmfusion..

Vino is fine for sharing the desktop if someone is logged onto the console,
but if it's a headless server no one is ever logged on. You have to have a
vncserver for that.

It turns out the long pause at login was caused by a very slow drawing of
the background graphic (that default fedora 14 blue one)

I ended up installing gconf-editor, and then just turning off that unlock
pop-up, and the background screen, and also desktop animations.

No sense in having to enter my password twice, anyway.

Tigervnc is fast enough if I use the ultravnc client.

Thanks!