Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Michael Schwendt

Default Audacious

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:27:29 -0400, Jorge wrote:

> On 01/28/2011 05:24 PM, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> > After yesterdays updates audacious seems to have lost the mp3 plugin and
> > can no longer play mp3 files
>
> Arrrgh. I just updated 2 minutes ago and indeed audacious is broken.

Arrrgh, no, it is not broken.

Please do read the Update Notes and my other reply in this thread.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Jorge Fábregas

> Arrrgh, no, it is not broken.
>
> Please do read the Update Notes and my other reply in this thread.

Thanks Michael for the update. My question then is: why release it when
the RPMfusion audacious-plugins-freeworld is not yet available on the
stable branch? Aren't 99% of the audacious users using it along with
that other "freee" package?

I honestly didn't paid much attention to the notes on the package
update. This wasn't a core service or kernel update so I didn't paid
much attention to that. I will next time..

--
JOrge

Old 01-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Kostas Sfakiotakis

On 28/01/2011 11:38 μμ, Greg Woods wrote:

> > the mp3 plugin seems to be installed but audacious ( the
> > freeworld-mp3-2.4.0-1.fc14.x86_64) doesn´t seem to recognize it .
> > Can someone tell me what´s going wrong ?
>
> The freeworld plugin comes from rpm-fusion, not from Fedora. You need
> to enable the rpm-fusion repo and then do an update:

But i have the rpm-fusion repositories enabled and that´s were the mp3
plugin
was originally found . It´s just that the mp3 plugin is a bit older .

Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Kostas Sfakiotakis

On 29/01/2011 12:14 πμ, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 23:24:08 +0200, Kostas wrote:
>
> > Greetings ,
> >
> > After yesterdays updates audacious seems to have lost the mp3
> > plugin and can no longer play mp3 files . The version with the
> > problem is
> >
> > audacious-2.4.3-1.fc14.x86_64
> > audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3-2.4.0-1.fc14.x86_64
> > audacious-plugins-2.4.3-1.fc14.pl1.x86_64
> > audacious-libs-2.4.3-1.fc14.x86_64
> >
> > Up until now i have never had a problem playing mp3 files . If am
> > correct the thing is that the mp3 plugin seems to be installed but
> > audacious ( the freeworld-mp3-2.4.0-1.fc14.x86_64) doesn´t seem to
> > recognize it . Can someone tell me what´s going wrong ?
>
> As explained in the Update Notes, the Generic Plugin API Version has
> changed since Audacious 2.4.2, and all plugins need a rebuild. Or
> else they are not loaded.

So Michael, if i understood you correctly all i have to do is get the
source of the
mp3 plugin and recompile it or just wait a few days up untill the
package with the
mp3 plugin is released in rmpfusion and in the meanwhile i can always
use another
player from the many available ( Amarok / xmms /Kaffeine ) to listen to
the mp3s ?

I was updating with yum and i have to admit that i am uncertain on where
the update
notes u mention are . Maybe i should check the Audacious web page for
them ?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:25:20 -0400, Jorge wrote:

> Thanks Michael for the update. My question then is: why release it when
> the RPMfusion audacious-plugins-freeworld is not yet available on the
> stable branch? Aren't 99% of the audacious users using it along with
> that other "freee" package?

As I've learnt just a day ago (or so) that RPM Fusion cannot build against
Fedora Test Updates. They have to wait for packages from "updates-testing"
to enter the stable "updates" repository, before the build system will
be able to use them.

There would have been only one work-around for this problem. Step by
step:

1) publish a mostly superfluous update of audacious-plugins-freeworld
to depend on exactly the previous Audacious 2.4.0 and not change
anything else in that update
2) publish Audacious 2.4.3 at Fedora
3) RPM Fusion users will get a broken dependency when 2.4.3 enters stable,
which will stop them from updating Audacious
4) publish an update of audacious-plugins-freeworld for 2.4.3
5) RPM Fusion users will become able to update all at once

That RPM Fusion seems to have new problems and hasn't pushed any packages
since Wed adds to the severity of this issue.

A strict dependency in 3rd party plugin packages will be needed. An update
of Audacious that exports the audacious(plugin-api) version has been submitted
to Fedora 14 updates-testing this evening.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:56 PM
Dennis Kaptain

> On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 18:27:29 -0400, Jorge wrote:
>
> > On 01/28/2011 05:24 PM, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> > > After yesterdays updates audacious seems to have lost the mp3 plugin and
> > > can no longer play mp3 files
> >
> > Arrrgh. I just updated 2 minutes ago and indeed audacious is broken.
>
> Arrrgh, no, it is not broken.
>
> Please do read the Update Notes and my other reply in this thread.

To fix this what you need to do is downgrade audacious.

$ yum list installed | grep audacious
take note of what you have installed

$ yum erase audacious
you will have to take out several other packages which are dependencies

go to http://pkgs.org/download/fedora-14/
Find and download:
audacious-2.4.0-3.fc14.1.x86_64.rpm
audacious-libs-2.4.0-3.fc14.1.x86_64.rpm
audacious-plugins-2.4.0-5.fc14.x86_64.rpm

note: my system is 64bit. download the 32 bit if you need.

install the old "working" packages.
$ rpm -ivh audacious*

now,
$ yum install audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3

along with whatever other packages you want and you are back in business.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 01/28/2011 07:56 PM, Dennis Kaptain wrote:
> To fix this what you need to do is downgrade audacious.
>
> $ yum list installed | grep audacious
> take note of what you have installed
>
> $ yum erase audacious
> you will have to take out several other packages which are dependencies
>
> go to http://pkgs.org/download/fedora-14/
> Find and download:
> audacious-2.4.0-3.fc14.1.x86_64.rpm
> audacious-libs-2.4.0-3.fc14.1.x86_64.rpm
> audacious-plugins-2.4.0-5.fc14.x86_64.rpm

Thanks Dennis. That worked nicely. pkgs.org rocks! I didn't know that one.

Best regards,
Jorge

Old 01-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 01:38:30 +0200, Kostas wrote:

> So Michael, if i understood you correctly all i have to do is get the
> source of the
> mp3 plugin and recompile it or just wait a few days up untill the
> package with the
> mp3 plugin is released in rmpfusion and in the meanwhile i can always
> use another
> player from the many available ( Amarok / xmms /Kaffeine ) to listen to
> the mp3s ?

The updated audacious-plugins-freeworld package for Fedora 15 development
has been released last week. You could get the src.rpm at your favourite
RPM Fusion mirror and rpmbuild it for your Fedora 14.

> I was updating with yum and i have to admit that i am uncertain on where
> the update
> notes u mention are . Maybe i should check the Audacious web page for
> them ?

The PackageKit GUIs display the notes entered within the Fedora Updates System:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/

It's really a web page many more Fedora users ought to become familiar with.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:31 PM
Jorge Fábregas

> As I've learnt just a day ago (or so) that RPM Fusion cannot build against
> Fedora Test Updates. They have to wait for packages from "updates-testing"
> to enter the stable "updates" repository, before the build system will
> be able to use them.
>
> There would have been only one work-around for this problem. Step by
> step:
>
> 1) publish a mostly superfluous update of audacious-plugins-freeworld
> to depend on exactly the previous Audacious 2.4.0 and not change
> anything else in that update
> 2) publish Audacious 2.4.3 at Fedora
> 3) RPM Fusion users will get a broken dependency when 2.4.3 enters stable,
> which will stop them from updating Audacious
> 4) publish an update of audacious-plugins-freeworld for 2.4.3
> 5) RPM Fusion users will become able to update all at once

I see. Yes, that would have been a nice hack probably.

> That RPM Fusion seems to have new problems and hasn't pushed any packages
> since Wed adds to the severity of this issue.
>
> A strict dependency in 3rd party plugin packages will be needed. An update
> of Audacious that exports the audacious(plugin-api) version has been submitted
> to Fedora 14 updates-testing this evening.

Great. Thanks for all the packaging work you do with audacious; it is
is really appreciated.

All the best,
Jorge