Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Kostas Sfakiotakis

Default Audacious

Greetings ,

After yesterdays updates audacious seems to have lost the mp3 plugin and
can no longer
play mp3 files . The version with the problem is

audacious-2.4.3-1.fc14.x86_64
audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3-2.4.0-1.fc14.x86_64
audacious-plugins-2.4.3-1.fc14.pl1.x86_64
audacious-libs-2.4.3-1.fc14.x86_64

Up until now i have never had a problem playing mp3 files . If am
correct the thing is that
the mp3 plugin seems to be installed but audacious ( the
freeworld-mp3-2.4.0-1.fc14.x86_64)
doesn´t seem to recognize it . Can someone tell me what´s going wrong ?

Old 01-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Greg Woods

> the mp3 plugin seems to be installed but audacious ( the
> freeworld-mp3-2.4.0-1.fc14.x86_64)
> doesn´t seem to recognize it . Can someone tell me what´s going wrong ?

The freeworld plugin comes from rpm-fusion, not from Fedora. You need to
enable the rpm-fusion repo and then do an update:

# yum --enablerepo=rpmfusion-free* update
audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3

If you look carefully at the packages you list, you can see that the
freeworld package is an older version than what you just updated
"audacious" to.

--Greg

Old 01-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 23:24:08 +0200, Kostas wrote:

> Greetings ,
>
> After yesterdays updates audacious seems to have lost the mp3 plugin and
> can no longer
> play mp3 files . The version with the problem is
>
> audacious-2.4.3-1.fc14.x86_64
> audacious-plugins-freeworld-mp3-2.4.0-1.fc14.x86_64
> audacious-plugins-2.4.3-1.fc14.pl1.x86_64
> audacious-libs-2.4.3-1.fc14.x86_64
>
> Up until now i have never had a problem playing mp3 files . If am
> correct the thing is that
> the mp3 plugin seems to be installed but audacious ( the
> freeworld-mp3-2.4.0-1.fc14.x86_64)
> doesn´t seem to recognize it . Can someone tell me what´s going wrong ?

As explained in the Update Notes, the Generic Plugin API Version has
changed since Audacious 2.4.2, and all plugins need a rebuild. Or else
they are not loaded.

Plugin packages not provided by Fedora can only be rebuilt once the
Audacious update is available in the stable updates repository.

On top of that, there hasn't been a strong dependency between the 3rd
party plugin packages and the base player, which would reflect their
specific Plugin API requirements. The plugin packages could have required
a specific version of Audacious though, even if that would be too strict
since some minor releases of Audacious *are* compatible.

Future updates of Audacious (currently only in Fedora 15 development,
however) will be able to add a hard dependency on a specific
audacious(plugin-api) package capability. That will make it possible for
3rd party plugin packages to block an incompatible update of Audacious in
Fedora by creating a broken dependency temporarily.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On 01/28/2011 05:24 PM, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> After yesterdays updates audacious seems to have lost the mp3 plugin and
> can no longer play mp3 files

Arrrgh. I just updated 2 minutes ago and indeed audacious is broken.

--
Jorge