Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Walter Cazzola

Default korganizer crash

Dear all,
today after an attempt of adding a new calendar korganizer has crashed
and from that moment on it is impossible to access to the GUI and to my
data. Doesn't a matter if I launch it from the tray, from the
commandline or from the menu.

When I try to launch it I get the following message:

>korganizer
>KCrash: Application 'korganizer' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/kde4/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/cazzola/.kde/socket-surtur/kdeinit4__0

and the KDE crash handler starts but no way to send a track bug (the
crash handler itself crashes).

I've tried to cancel the sockets files, the configuration files and to
clear the cache but without success.

korganizer has always worked (up to this morning) and contains all my
appointments and I'd like to have it working again.

Any suggestion?

Walter

--
Walter Cazzola, PhD - Associate Professor, DICo, University of Milano
E-mail: cazzola@dico.unimi.it Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253

Old 01-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 27 January 2011 17:45:39 Walter Cazzola wrote:
> Dear all,
> today after an attempt of adding a new calendar korganizer has crashed
> and from that moment on it is impossible to access to the GUI and to my
> data. Doesn't a matter if I launch it from the tray, from the
> commandline or from the menu.
>
> When I try to launch it I get the following message:
> >korganizer
> >KCrash: Application 'korganizer' crashing...
>
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/kde4/drkonqi from kdeinit
> sock_file=/home/cazzola/.kde/socket-surtur/kdeinit4__0
>
> and the KDE crash handler starts but no way to send a track bug (the
> crash handler itself crashes).
>
> I've tried to cancel the sockets files, the configuration files and to
> clear the cache but without success.
>
> korganizer has always worked (up to this morning) and contains all my
> appointments and I'd like to have it working again.

I've not had this problem in korganizer, but I have seen it with other kontact
modules. I find that the best thing is to killall kontact and wait a few
seconds, after which everything works again. I assume that something that
should have shut down is still open, and this seems to find it.

Alternatively, it usually works if you open system monitor (Ctrl-Esc) and put
korganizer into the search bar. You'll probably find a slave hanging around,
and if you can kill it there that should clear things.

Anne

Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM
Walter Cazzola

Dear Anne,
thanks for the reply

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:

I've not had this problem in korganizer, but I have seen it with other kontact
modules. I find that the best thing is to killall kontact and wait a few
seconds, after which everything works again. I assume that something that
should have shut down is still open, and this seems to find it.

waht do you mean (precisely) by «killall kontact»? Apparently I don't
use kontact or kaddress or other! do you mean kill some process or close
in someway that I don't know.

Alternatively, it usually works if you open system monitor (Ctrl-Esc) and put
korganizer into the search bar. You'll probably find a slave hanging around,
and if you can kill it there that should clear things.

unfortunately this is not the case, I've also tried to turn off and on
the laptop but nothing changed.

Any other idea?

Walter

Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM
Walter Cazzola

Dear all,
just to add something to my problem, this affect only my user, from root
korganizer starts like a charm. I've noticed that it is bound to the
akonadi server but also killing all the process related to akonadi
korganizer from my user doesn't start.

:-(

any help is appreciated

Walter

Old 01-28-2011, 12:38 AM
Rick Sewill

On Thursday, January 27, 2011 04:10:46 pm Walter Cazzola wrote:
> Dear all,
> just to add something to my problem, this affect only my user, from root
> korganizer starts like a charm. I've noticed that it is bound to the
> akonadi server but also killing all the process related to akonadi
> korganizer from my user doesn't start.
>
> :-(
>
> any help is appreciated

I just started using kde a little while ago so I may not be much help.

I believe, to identify a problem, one needs to isolate the problem.

To this end, what calendar(s) were you working with just before it failed?

If they were local calendars, can you move them out of the way,
until you identify which local calendar causes the problem, and then
examine that calendar to see what might be causing the problem?

I would strongly encourage you to make a backup before moving files.
It would be bad if my suggestion made matters worse.

If they are calendars from the Internet, can you bring up korganizer
with your PC not connected to the Internet--korganizer will fail to get
to the internet, but you might be able to disable the Internet calendar.
If disabling an Internet calendar stops the crashing, we get a hint.

Once the calendar(s) causing problems can be identified,
others may have hints what is causing the crashing problem.

Also, when it crashes, I assume abrt wants to make a report.
Do the details of the report give a hint why korganizer is crashing?
The hint may have no meaning to me, but might help a developer.
With the hint, one might google to see what others did to fix similar problems.

I wish I could give you an answer.
I'm afraid I can only suggest isolating the problem.
Hopefully others, who have used kde longer or develop kde
will recognize the problem and suggest a fix or workaround.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:15 PM
Tim

On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 23:10 +0100, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> just to add something to my problem, this affect only my user, from
> root korganizer starts like a charm.

General note:

When debugging, create another ordinary user account to test things. Do
not simply become root, and start debugging as the root user. Apart
from the ramifications of making a silly mistake, you're not testing
things under the same conditions as a normal user account.

One of the things I do when setting up any new computer is create at
least one or more test accounts, so they're ready and waiting for the
day I need to fix things.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 27 January 2011 20:21:47 you wrote:
> Dear Anne,
> thanks for the reply
>
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I've not had this problem in korganizer, but I have seen it with other
> > kontact modules. I find that the best thing is to killall kontact and
> > wait a few seconds, after which everything works again. I assume that
> > something that should have shut down is still open, and this seems to
> > find it.
>
> waht do you mean (precisely) by «killall kontact»?

Kontact is a wrapper for all the kde-pim modules, kmail, kaddressbook,
korganizer and so on. They all can be run separately, so it's quite possible
you are only running korganizer.

I meant that in a terminal you should issue the command "killall kontact", but
if you are using korganizer as a standalone application, instead issues
"killall korganizer" and see if that does it.

> Apparently I don't
> use kontact or kaddress or other! do you mean kill some process or close
> in someway that I don't know.
>
> > Alternatively, it usually works if you open system monitor (Ctrl-Esc) and
> > put korganizer into the search bar. You'll probably find a slave
> > hanging around, and if you can kill it there that should clear things.
>
> unfortunately this is not the case, I've also tried to turn off and on
> the laptop but nothing changed.

So much depends upon which version of everything is running. Let's start with
knowing which version of Fedora and which version of KOrganizer you are
running.

Then, try starting korganizer from a terminal and see what happens. You may
see a huge amount of information scrolling by. Let it finish, the copy it and
paste into a text file. Paste the text file into http://fpaste.org/ and then
add the link it gives you to this thread. There's a better chance then of
seeing what is actually happening.

Anne