Old 01-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Dave Stevens

Default how to disable gpgcheck on command line with yum install?

On Wednesday, January 26, 2011 01:16:36 pm Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 12:58 -0800, Dave Stevens wrote:
> > Package libobasis3.3-en-US-base-3.3.0-6.x86_64.rpm is not signed
> > [dave@davehost RPMS]$
> >
> > I know how to disable gpg checking in a .repo file but don't know how
> > to deal
> > with it here where there doesn't seem to be one. Ideas? F14 if it
> > matters.
>
> yum --nogpg install ...
>
> poc

Thanks, naturally about two seconds after sending the post I was magically
able to see the part of the man page that had eluded me. But another
difficulty cropped up - abundant conflicts with OO packages, anyone have
experience with this? Do I need to uninstall OO to get around this?

Dave

--

When a respected information source covers something where you have on-the-
ground experience, the result is often to make you wonder how much fecal

-- Rusty Russell

Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/27/2011 02:28 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> I know how to disable gpg checking in a .repo file but don't know how to deal
> with it here where there doesn't seem to be one. Ideas? F14 if it matters.

yum --nogpgcheck foo*.rpm would work. Note that the Fedora 15 version
has a change that doesn't check for gpg signatures for local packages by
default. Yum still checks gpg signatures for repo packages.

Rahul

Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 AM
Tim

> the Fedora 15 version has a change that doesn't check for gpg
> signatures for local packages by default

That doesn't sound very wise.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/27/2011 03:13 PM, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 03:39 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> the Fedora 15 version has a change that doesn't check for gpg
>> signatures for local packages by default
> That doesn't sound very wise.

It is configurable.

Rahul

Old 01-27-2011, 10:19 AM
JB

Rahul Sundaram <metherid <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 01/27/2011 03:13 PM, Tim wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 03:39 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >> the Fedora 15 version has a change that doesn't check for gpg
> >> signatures for local packages by default
> > That doesn't sound very wise.
>
> It is configurable.
>
> Rahul

It should be the other way around.

JB

Old 01-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/27/2011 04:49 PM, JB wrote:

> It should be the other way around.

You are free to suggest that to yum developers via bugzilla or their
mailing list.

Rahul

Old 01-27-2011, 10:46 AM
Tim

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> the Fedora 15 version has a change that doesn't check for gpg
>>> signatures for local packages by default

Tim:
>> That doesn't sound very wise.

Rahul Sundaram:
> It is configurable.

It still doesn't sound very wise. Good that it's an option, but bad as
a default. Perhaps we should change all the security options to
off-by-default?

This isn't Windows.

One of the better things about Linux is how things are installed. You
can check the RPM before installation, to see what it contains and where
it will put it. Packages are signed, as part of the fight against
tampering and forgeries, and this signing is checked.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM
JB

Rahul Sundaram <metherid <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 01/27/2011 04:49 PM, JB wrote:
> >
> > It should be the other way around.
>
> You are free to suggest that to yum developers via bugzilla or their
> mailing list.
>
> Rahul

Let your voice be heard.
Bugzilla # 673088

JB

Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/27/2011 05:16 PM, Tim wrote:
> It still doesn't sound very wise. Good that it's an option, but bad as
> a default. Perhaps we should change all the security options to
> off-by-default?

yum localinstall is really no different from rpm -ivh in that aspect
except for dependency resolving. Anyway, not my decision and a bug
report has been filed. So redirect feedback there.

Rahul

Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Tim

> yum localinstall is really no different from rpm -ivh in that aspect
> except for dependency resolving

When did rpm stop checking for signatures, by default?