Old 01-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Default rescue mode

Which disk would I download to get into rescue mode on F14 x86_64?

All I need to do is reinstall grub, after (hopefully) repairing a broken
Windows XP that I have not been able to boot for a year because of having
gotten a new motherboard a year ago.

I do not have a floppy drive or any type of usb drive. All I have are my hard
drives and a CD/DVD drive.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:08 PM
Joe Zeff

On 01/26/2011 09:57 AM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Which disk would I download to get into rescue mode on F14 x86_64?

Either the DVD or the first disk of the CD set will do. You can also do
it from a LiveCD if you prefer; the choice is yours.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM
"Robert G. (Doc) Savage"

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 10:57 -0700, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Which disk would I download to get into rescue mode on F14 x86_64?
>
> All I need to do is reinstall grub, after (hopefully) repairing a broken
> Windows XP that I have not been able to boot for a year because of having
> gotten a new motherboard a year ago.
>
> I do not have a floppy drive or any type of usb drive. All I have are my hard
> drives and a CD/DVD drive.

Petrus,

You can boot your system using the F14 x86_64 installation DVD (or first
CD image). At the install menu select the Rescue option.

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

Old 01-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

OK. Thanks to both of you. Yes, I had feared that this might be the only way.

I didn't want to have to download 700MB just to be able to reinstall grub, but
I guess that is the only way.

I don't have an installation disk, since I did a system upgrade from f13 to
f14. I no longer have the f13 installation disk and I imagine that it wouldn't
work, now that I am using f14.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:54 PM
Gabriel Ramirez

On 01/26/2011 02:22 PM, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> OK. Thanks to both of you. Yes, I had feared that this might be the only way.
>
> I didn't want to have to download 700MB just to be able to reinstall grub, but
> I guess that is the only way.
>
> I don't have an installation disk, since I did a system upgrade from f13 to
> f14. I no longer have the f13 installation disk and I imagine that it wouldn't
> work, now that I am using f14.

maybe http://boot.fedoraproject.org/index can be useful

Gabriel

Old 01-26-2011, 11:27 PM
"Robert G. (Doc) Savage"

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 13:22 -0700, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> OK. Thanks to both of you. Yes, I had feared that this might be the only way.
>
> I didn't want to have to download 700MB just to be able to reinstall grub, but
> I guess that is the only way.
>
> I don't have an installation disk, since I did a system upgrade from f13 to
> f14. I no longer have the f13 installation disk and I imagine that it wouldn't
> work, now that I am using f14.

Petrus,

You can also use the much smaller (220 MB) boot.iso CD image. You can
find it on a mirror site at:

.../releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

Old 01-27-2011, 03:11 AM
Petrus de Calguarium

Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:

> You can also use the much smaller (220 MB) boot.iso CD image. You can
> find it on a mirror site at:
>
> .../releases/14/Fedora/x86_64/os/images/boot.iso

I already tried that. It didn't work. A black screen appeared with a grub menu
and it was not able to detect that I already had grub installed to the MBR of
the first hard drive. It did not give me the normal option of a rescue disk,
where you hit the ESC or TAB or whatever in order to type 'linux rescue'. As a
result, I fumbled around with grub commands, telling it which was root and
kernel and initrd, but with the new fedora kernel boot line that sets up the
keyboard and all that other stuff, which is impossible to remember in its
entirety, the boot failed, hanging even before plymouth. And booting the system
was not what I wanted, I wanted rescue.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Petrus de Calguarium

Gabriel Ramirez wrote:

> maybe http://boot.fedoraproject.org/index can be useful

Thank you. I had downloaded it about a year ago when I first heard about it,
but never tried it. I decided to get a new version, in case it changed, and
burnt it to disk. It must have taken 15-20 minutes for it to load and
download the image and whatever it needs, despite a high-speed internet
connection, but it works like a charm. It is good to know that I feel
comfortable with BFO as a failsafe.

Unfortunately, Windows refused to repair the installed system and a blue
screen appeared telling me to remove the new hardware and try again. How
stupid. I cannot remove the motherboard! I guess if I want Windows, I will
have to wipe that partition and reinstall it, which is exactly what I had
hoped never to need to do again when I installed it to that partition in the
first place. Then, despite not being able to repair itself, Windows changed
the system clock from UTC to local time, so fedora needed to do a complete
relabelling before I could finally boot up again. Man alive! Fortunately, I
do have a working version of Windows installed to a qemu image file, so I can
still access some of those pesky services that refuse to work without Windows
(Adobe Digital Editions, Overdrive DRM-encumbered audiobooks, Mobibook
reader, etc. -- stuff from the public library that I need to access).

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My system is intact and Windows is still
broken, but after a year of it being broken, I guess I don't need it anyhow.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 21:25 -0700, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Windows changed the system clock from UTC to local time, so fedora
> needed to do a complete relabelling before I could finally boot up
> again.

I can't see why that was necessary.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Petrus de Calguarium

Tim wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 21:25 -0700, Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
>> Windows changed the system clock from UTC to local time, so fedora
>> needed to do a complete relabelling before I could finally boot up
>> again.
>
> I can't see why that was necessary.

I've experienced it before. It says something like the last disk access is in
the future, or something like that.