Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Mike Wright

Default how to change nautilus' default browser?

Hi all,

Subject says it all.

I've gone through every option I could find, right clicked everything,
grepped through .nautilus and .gnome2* and haven't the slighted idea why
nautilus insists on opening Chrome when the system default is set to
Firefox.

(IMO Chrome isn't ready for prime time: the Firebug extension for it is
a joke, its UI is tedious; it may be faster at some things but its
shortcomings *way* overwhelm any of its benefits.)

Any takers?

TIA,
Mike Wright

Old 01-27-2011, 04:36 AM
Joachim Backes

On 01/26/2011 05:49 PM, Mike Wright wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Subject says it all.
>
> I've gone through every option I could find, right clicked everything,
> grepped through .nautilus and .gnome2* and haven't the slighted idea why
> nautilus insists on opening Chrome when the system default is set to
> Firefox.
>
> (IMO Chrome isn't ready for prime time: the Firebug extension for it is
> a joke, its UI is tedious; it may be faster at some things but its
> shortcomings *way* overwhelm any of its benefits.)
>
> Any takers?
>
> TIA,
> Mike Wright

On a Gnome desktop:

System>Preferences>Preferred applications

Is this you need?

Kind regards

http://www.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~backes

Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Tim

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 08:49 -0800, Mike Wright wrote:
> I've gone through every option I could find, right clicked everything,
> grepped through .nautilus and .gnome2* and haven't the slighted idea
> why nautilus insists on opening Chrome when the system default is set
> to Firefox.

Using it for what? Reading HTML files, or something else?

Usually, you can right-click on one of the types of files you want to
configure options for, and the pop-up properties window gives you a list
of open-with choices.

I don't know of a central manage all my filetype options for Nautilus
either, and there are times where it would be useful. Especially if you
could simply back up its configuration file, and import it later on
(restoring settings, or cloning settings on other installations).

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Hiisi

ke, 2011-01-26 kello 08:49 -0800, Mike Wright kirjoitti:
> Hi all,
>
> Subject says it all.
>
> I've gone through every option I could find, right clicked everything,
> grepped through .nautilus and .gnome2* and haven't the slighted idea why
> nautilus insists on opening Chrome when the system default is set to
> Firefox.
>
> (IMO Chrome isn't ready for prime time: the Firebug extension for it is
> a joke, its UI is tedious; it may be faster at some things but its
> shortcomings *way* overwhelm any of its benefits.)
>
> Any takers?
>
> TIA,
> Mike Wright

Sorry for the late input.
If you're finding it not ready for prime time why not simply yum' erase
it?
--
Netscape is not a newsreader, and probably never shall be.
-- Tom Christiansen

Old 02-07-2011, 05:00 AM
Richard England

On 02/06/2011 05:36 AM, Hiisi wrote:
> ke, 2011-01-26 kello 08:49 -0800, Mike Wright kirjoitti:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Subject says it all.
>>
>> I've gone through every option I could find, right clicked everything,
>> grepped through .nautilus and .gnome2* and haven't the slighted idea why
>> nautilus insists on opening Chrome when the system default is set to
>> Firefox.
>>
>> (IMO Chrome isn't ready for prime time: the Firebug extension for it is
>> a joke, its UI is tedious; it may be faster at some things but its
>> shortcomings *way* overwhelm any of its benefits.)
>>
>> Any takers?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Mike Wright
> Sorry for the late input.
> If you're finding it not ready for prime time why not simply yum' erase
> it?
It appears that the Chrome installation (some one correct me if I'm
throwing blame the wrong way) sets the default application to handle
.html files to itself.

I opened nautilus and went to a *.html file, right clicked on it and
then selected "Open with". From there I was able to chose Firefox again
(Chrome had been selected). After this step (so far) Nautilus is opening
my HTML files with the "right" browser.

HTH,

~~R

Old 02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Mike Wright

Richard England wrote:
> On 02/06/2011 05:36 AM, Hiisi wrote:
>> ke, 2011-01-26 kello 08:49 -0800, Mike Wright kirjoitti:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Subject says it all.
>>>
>>> I've gone through every option I could find, right clicked everything,
>>> grepped through .nautilus and .gnome2* and haven't the slighted idea why
>>> nautilus insists on opening Chrome when the system default is set to
>>> Firefox.
>>>
>>> (IMO Chrome isn't ready for prime time: the Firebug extension for it is
>>> a joke, its UI is tedious; it may be faster at some things but its
>>> shortcomings *way* overwhelm any of its benefits.)
>>>
>>> Any takers?
>>>
>>> TIA,
>>> Mike Wright
>> Sorry for the late input.
>> If you're finding it not ready for prime time why not simply yum' erase
>> it?

Thanks for the help.

> It appears that the Chrome installation (some one correct me if I'm
> throwing blame the wrong way) sets the default application to handle
> .html files to itself.

I came to the same conclusion

> I opened nautilus and went to a *.html file, right clicked on it and
> then selected "Open with". From there I was able to chose Firefox again
> (Chrome had been selected). After this step (so far) Nautilus is opening
> my HTML files with the "right" browser.

I eventually found that, too. I was blaming Nautilus for Chrome's
Naughty behavior.