Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default LibreOffice on Fedora

On 01/26/2011 08:52 PM, Jim wrote:
> Does any one know when LibreOffice will be released to the Fedora repo's.
> Fedora 14 or Fedora 15 ?

It has been in the Rawhide repo for several weeks already. Won't be
released for Fedora 14

Rahul

Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 08:52 PM, Jim wrote:
>> Does any one know when LibreOffice will be released to the Fedora repo's.
>> Fedora 14 or Fedora 15 ?
>
> It has been in the Rawhide repo for several weeks already. *Won't be
> released for Fedora 14

While weīre at it, what kind of democratic process is in place so we
Fedora users can vote on if we like to keep OpenOffice.org as an
option, in addition to "Libre"?.

FC

Old 01-26-2011, 03:12 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:50:12 -0300,
Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 01/26/2011 08:52 PM, Jim wrote:
> >> Does any one know when LibreOffice will be released to the Fedora repo's.
> >> Fedora 14 or Fedora 15 ?
> >
> > It has been in the Rawhide repo for several weeks already. *Won't be
> > released for Fedora 14
>
> While weīre at it, what kind of democratic process is in place so we
> Fedora users can vote on if we like to keep OpenOffice.org as an
> option, in addition to "Libre"?.

Things don't work like that. Normally you'd volunteer to maintain the
openoffice.org package in Fedora. However that package is so large that
there might special consideration. But until someone decides that it is
worth their time to do the work maintaining openoffice.org it isn't going
to happen.

There is also a trademark issue with openoffice.org that may limit which
media it would end up on. probably it wouldn't be in any of the official
media due to this and size.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/26/2011 09:20 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> On 01/26/2011 08:52 PM, Jim wrote:
>>> Does any one know when LibreOffice will be released to the Fedora repo's.
>>> Fedora 14 or Fedora 15 ?
>> It has been in the Rawhide repo for several weeks already. Won't be
>> released for Fedora 14
> While weīre at it, what kind of democratic process is in place so we
> Fedora users can vote on if we like to keep OpenOffice.org as an
> option, in addition to "Libre"?.

Packages are in the repository because someone is volunteering to
maintain them. No because of any voting.

Rahul

Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> Packages are in the repository because someone is volunteering to
> maintain them. *No because of any voting.

So if someone from Oracle choose to build and maintain it for Fedora
and cleared any trademark issues, it would be okay?.

Isnīt "Firefox" also trademaked by Mozilla Inc.? Am I missing something?

FC

Old 01-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 16:14:22 -0300,
Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Packages are in the repository because someone is volunteering to
> > maintain them. *No because of any voting.
>
> So if someone from Oracle choose to build and maintain it for Fedora
> and cleared any trademark issues, it would be okay?.
>
> Isnīt "Firefox" also trademaked by Mozilla Inc.? Am I missing something?

Oracle doesn't own the trademark to openoffice in Brazil. So we are unlikely
to prefer openoffice to libreoffice on any of the official media and
we aren't going to put both on the same media given their size. (That is
why we had a special broffice spin through F14.)

A maintainer wouldn't have to be from Oracle, anyone could do it. They'd
still have to leave out the stuff that had patent issues. Size may be an
issue because these packages are so large (are almost the same thing). I doubt
that would block it, but it might be a consideration.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 PM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/27/2011 12:44 AM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Packages are in the repository because someone is volunteering to
>> maintain them. No because of any voting.
> So if someone from Oracle choose to build and maintain it for Fedora
> and cleared any trademark issues, it would be okay?.

It doesn't require a person from Oracle. *Anyone* interested enough to
volunteer can do it.

> Isnīt "Firefox" also trademaked by Mozilla Inc.? Am I missing something?

I didn't say anything about trademarks but anyone volunteering to
package any software has to take into consideration the trademark
guidelines of the software in question. For Firefox, if you patch it
without upstream signing off on the patches, you will have to rename the
software. I don't think there are any problems with Openoffice.org
trademark for the purposes of packaging it in Fedora.

Rahul

Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> A maintainer wouldn't have to be from Oracle, anyone could do it. They'd
> still have to leave out the stuff that had patent issues.

Iīm not following wrt patents. Itīs the same bloody code.
And why didnīt it prevent Fedora from including OO.o in the past?.

FC

Old 01-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Fernando Cassia

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> They'd
> still have to leave out the stuff that had patent issues.

Sine the USPTO basically gives patents on about anything, itīs a mine
field. Basically you donīt know if something infringes on someone
elseīs patent until you get sued.

Novell owns patents as well
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/211366/microsoft_purchasing_882_novell_patents.html

So is Fedora dropping all Novell originated code?

FC

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 16:43:08 -0300,
Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> > A maintainer wouldn't have to be from Oracle, anyone could do it. They'd
> > still have to leave out the stuff that had patent issues.
>
> Iīm not following wrt patents. Itīs the same bloody code.
> And why didnīt it prevent Fedora from including OO.o in the past?.

It did block including at least one feature that is normally available
when getting the prebuilt images. If you want details that information
should be documented in the src rpm. The same features would need to be blocked
in new builds unless something changes with respect to the patents.