Old 01-26-2011, 08:36 AM
Gianluca Cecchi

Default google calendar in evolution 2.32

Hello,
as I had some problems before in getting calendar sync between
evolution and gmail account, but it seems it works now in F14 I would
like to share.
I also would like to share some problems and questions

On an Ubuntu post
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleCalendarWithEvolution) I read
that I could go in 3 different modes:
CalDav, Google and On the web
The first one should be the preferred way (correct?), so I configured
it this way, after starting from console to intercept errors:

1) In URL I set: caldav://www.google.com/calendar/dav/[my gmail
account]/events/ (and not https:// as in link above)
2) I check SSL
3) In username field I put my e-mail address
4) I press ok and I type the password as requested (I didn't check
remember password)

OK --> I see inside evolution calendar page some events I previously
already have for today in gmail calendar

I only have one gmail calendar, otherwise instead of [my gmail
account] one should put the id for the calendars he/she wants

Then I edit this calendar and check both:
a) set as default --> ok
b) copy calendar locallly for offline operations --> it seems ok in
the sense that I don't get errors, but if I edit again I see that the
checkbox is not marked... ??
no particular message at console prompt

restarting evolution from console I get:

e-data-server-ui-Message: Unable to find password(s) in keyring
(Keyring reports: No matching results)
e-data-server-ui-Message: Key file does not have group 'Passwords-Calendar'
e-data-server-ui-Message: Unable to find password(s) in keyring
(Keyring reports: No matching results)
e-data-server-ui-Message: Key file does not have group 'Passwords-Calendar'

and I'm asked for gmail password. After typing it all goes well (the
"copy calendar locally.." option is not checked btw)

What are the effects of checking "remember password"? Is it associated
with keyring (and eventually put in ~/.gnome2/keyrings/..) or is it
stored inside an evolution folder
(such as ~/.local/share/evolution) or anything else? Is it encrypted?

What are the effects of setting calendar as default if I'm not
connected to the internet?
Can I set System --> Preferences --> Network Proxy for a location
where I have a connection with a proxy and so being able to connect to
my calendar?
Is it caldav forwarded to http ports..?

And last:
I have an imap account set up for an exchange server.
Is it correct to say that if I receive an invitation from exchange
account on my imap configured e-mail and I accept it I should get it
also in my evolution calendar, so both in evolution and gmail, due to
the sync in place? Or the imap account inherits a particular calendar
different from default?

Thanks again for sharing your experience with evolution.
I was using kmail but I'm seeing that first time now (I skipped some
Fedora versions for testing it ... probably latest one was F11)
evolution seems to fit my needs... ;-)

Gianluca

Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Patrick O'Callaghan

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 10:36 +0100, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello,
> as I had some problems before in getting calendar sync between
> evolution and gmail account, but it seems it works now in F14 I would
> like to share.
> I also would like to share some problems and questions

Since nothing in your message seems specific to Fedora, you may get more
feedback on the Evolution list, where calendar issues are regularly
discussed. See http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/evolution-list

poc