Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Default USB Serial Port (SOLVED)

On 1/26/2011 1:39 AM, Clark Martin wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2011, at 11:47 PM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
>
>> This may be easy for some but, all of my Linux experience has been on
>> servers and I am just now trying to move into the desktop side.
>>
>> I am trying to use a USB to Serial adapter by Belkin for a needed
>> application at work. I plan on using PuTTy as my comm plaform but, I
>> cannot figure out what port id the device is being given or if I need to
>> configure it in some manner.
>>
>> Anyone know a simple way or the correct place to look for info about
>> this on the Web?
> Look in /dev for something like tty.usb...
>
> look before and after you plug it in to be sure.

Tried several re-inserts and nothing happened but, I had to re-boot for
another reason and happened to leave it in place.
Now according to dmesg ttyUSB0 is there, there was also traffic from
the usbcore about registering a new driver.

New note to self about USB drivers, re-boot with the device installed
before you go digging!

Thanks All