Old 01-26-2011, 06:47 AM
Mike Dwiggins

Default USB Serial Port

This may be easy for some but, all of my Linux experience has been on
servers and I am just now trying to move into the desktop side.

I am trying to use a USB to Serial adapter by Belkin for a needed
application at work. I plan on using PuTTy as my comm plaform but, I
cannot figure out what port id the device is being given or if I need to
configure it in some manner.

Anyone know a simple way or the correct place to look for info about
this on the Web?

Mike D.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Chris Smart

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Mike Dwiggins <mike@azdwiggins.com> wrote:

> Anyone know a simple way or the correct place to look for info about
> this on the Web?

When you plug it in, dmesg should tell you. It's probably something
like /dev/ttyUSB0

-c

Old 01-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Mike Dwiggins

On 1/26/2011 1:20 AM, Chris Smart wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Mike Dwiggins<mike@azdwiggins.com> wrote:
>> Anyone know a simple way or the correct place to look for info about
>> this on the Web?
> When you plug it in, dmesg should tell you. It's probably something
> like /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> -c

That was what I toughs but, I am getting no indication in dmesg. With
the second opinion I wonder if it is actually being recognized?

MD

Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Clark Martin

On Jan 25, 2011, at 11:47 PM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:

> This may be easy for some but, all of my Linux experience has been on
> servers and I am just now trying to move into the desktop side.
>
> I am trying to use a USB to Serial adapter by Belkin for a needed
> application at work. I plan on using PuTTy as my comm plaform but, I
> cannot figure out what port id the device is being given or if I need to
> configure it in some manner.
>
> Anyone know a simple way or the correct place to look for info about
> this on the Web?

Look in /dev for something like tty.usb...

look before and after you plug it in to be sure.