Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Ed Greshko

Default Finding programs

On 01/26/2011 05:23 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.

Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo :-) :-)

--
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." -- Howard Aiken 葛

Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Sam Sharpe

On 26 January 2011 00:07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 05:23 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.
>
> Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
> http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo *:-) :-)

I appreciate your point, but I feel it only fair and balanced to point
out that none of the top three links on that page actually contain any
information on Evince and in the 4th page it is buried somewhere about
1/3rd of the way down.

Basically, Evince need to do a bit of work on their SEO ;o)

--
Sam

Old 01-25-2011, 11:35 PM
Mark LaPierre

On 01/25/2011 07:07 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 05:23 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.
> Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
> http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo :-) :-)

;-) Now that was "Expletive deleted" slick!

Mark LaPierre

Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Ed Greshko

On 01/26/2011 08:28 AM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> I appreciate your point, but I feel it only fair and balanced to point
> out that none of the top three links on that page actually contain any
> information on Evince and in the 4th page it is buried somewhere about
> 1/3rd of the way down.

Nothing is perfect. Besides, the search was not to find "evince" but to
find a list of pdf readers available under linux. I hope most people
don't only look at the first link returned by a search engine.

> Basically, Evince need to do a bit of work on their SEO ;o)

Now I have to google SEO. :-)

--
People don't change; they only become more so. 葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八
德路四段

Old 01-25-2011, 11:47 PM
charles zeitler

--

Do what thou wilt
shall be the whole of the Law.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Ed Greshko

> Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
> http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo :-) :-)
>
> --
> "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
> good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." -- Howard Aiken 葛
> 斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段
>
> --

nice!

charles zeitler

Love is the law, love under will.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Mark Eggers

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 00:28:48 +0000, Sam Sharpe wrote:

> On 26 January 2011 00:07, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
>> On 01/26/2011 05:23 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>>> I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.
>>
>> Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
>> http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo *:-) :-)
>
> I appreciate your point, but I feel it only fair and balanced to point
> out that none of the top three links on that page actually contain any
> information on Evince and in the 4th page it is buried somewhere about
> 1/3rd of the way down.
>
> Basically, Evince need to do a bit of work on their SEO ;o)
>
> --
> Sam

OK, I have no idea how it works on the Gnome package management side at
this point since I'm logged in via KDE.

However, KPackageKit has this nice search feature:

1. Open up KPackageKit (which is what most people do to update software)
2. Under Get and Remove Software, select search by description
3. Type in PDF and wait
4. Click on a program name and read the description
5. Install, uninstall, etc. as is your choice

If you have a green check mark next to the program name, then it's
already installed.

From the command line, it's a bit more cumbersome although it feels a bit
faster.

1. As root (or su -c) do a yum search pdf
2. Scroll through the results and find one you like - envice, document
viewer seems to be a good choice.
3. yum info evince gives all the information
4. Install, uninstall, etc. as is your choice

Both seem pretty reasonable to me. Since I'm a command line type of
person, I prefer the second option coupled with writing to a text file
and vim, or piping through grep.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/

Old 01-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Mike Williams

>>> I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.
The command line is my choice as well.* I have a tiny shell script that gets run after each update that creates text files of whats installed and available:

$ cat upd.sh
yum list installed 2>&1>yum.installed
yum list available 2>&1>yum.available

then its just a matter of
grep some_program_or_other yum.*

to check to see what version of something is installed, whether its installed, or if its available via yum

Mike

Old 01-26-2011, 01:17 AM
Tom Horsley

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 21:06:14 -0500
Mike Williams wrote:

> then its just a matter of
> grep some_program_or_other yum.*

I tend to do a grep -r in /usr/share/applications where
all the .desktop files defining menu items live, then
look for the Exec= line in the .desktop file that appears
to have the best match for my search.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:03 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 08:07 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/26/2011 05:23 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
> > I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.
>
> Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
> http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo :-) :-)

I am not sure what you mwan by the question. Which evincew finds it in
one senswe. locate evince finds it in another sense. yum insaatll enince
finds it in a third sense. man -k document will find it in a fourth
sense.

Clarify your question.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> writes:
> On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 08:07 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 01/26/2011 05:23 AM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:
>> > I'm not sure how new users are supposed to find evince.
>>
>> Maybe it is the same method that many folks should use to find things.
>> http://tinyurl.com/6ce2nvo :-) :-)
>>

> I am not sure what you mwan by the question. Which evincew finds it in
> one senswe. locate evince finds it in another sense. yum insaatll enince
> finds it in a third sense. man -k document will find it in a fourth
> sense.
>
> Clarify your question.

I meant, if new users are looking for a pdf viewer, how are they
supposed to know that evnice is the default pdf viewer that is included
in the default installs?

The fact is that not only is the evince name non-decriptive, but the man
-k short description likewise has no mention of "pdf" so it won't be
found as a pdf viewer either.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ (IPv6-only)