Old 01-25-2011, 05:36 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Default systemd in f14 possible?

On 01/25/2011 11:51 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Hello,
> from this page
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/systemd
> it seems systemd could be almost finished and usable for F14 too...
> Is this true?
> Any faq/drawback/limitations?

It is in the repo for Fedora 14

# yum install systemd

Boot with init=/bin/systemd

Caveat is that it is a older version of systemd and may not work as well
as the one in Rawhide.

Rahul

Old 01-26-2011, 08:06 AM
Gianluca Cecchi

On Tue Jan 25 18:36:57 UTC 2011, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> # yum install systemd
> Boot with init=/bin/systemd

Thanks for your answer, Rahul.
It seems to work: I tried on a laptop (Dell XPS M1330) and on a Athlon
X4 based PC.
Both systems are with sata disks.
As first impression boot time seems quite the same:
- PC 32 seconds to arrive at gdm login, both with standard boot and systemd
- laptop abut 4-5 seconds slower with systemd to arrive at gdm login
(32 seconds vs 28 seconds)

But I don't know if speed is the main target or not at this time.
Perhaps a significant difference could be noted mostly on systems with SSD disks

Gianluca

Old 01-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Rahul Sundaram

On 01/26/2011 02:36 PM, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:

> But I don't know if speed is the main target or not at this time.
> Perhaps a significant difference could be noted mostly on systems with SSD disks

Speed is far from the main target and yes you should notice a
significant difference in SSD nevertheless.

Rahul