Old 01-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Walter Cazzola

Default native texlive and yum

Dear Fedora Experts,
bored of the several problems of the texlive 2010 distribution for
fedora (see my previous message about the missed hyphenation and the
1-month old broken dependency on the latex binary) I have decides to
remove it and reinstall it through tlmgr.

That has been a great idea except for a couple of issues on some
*nonrelated" packages. To remove texlive yum forced the remotion of a2ps
and R-core (and few other but these are the most important for me) and I
can't reinstall them without reinstalling texlive (at least in part).

Now I've already installed texlive but not through yum and I'm wondering
why the rpm for these packages not really related to LaTeX and in
any case working also without LaTeX can't check for the bins instead of
the whole package.

Is there a way for forcing their installation without installing
texlive?

Thanks all for the help

Walter

--
Walter Cazzola, PhD - Associate Professor, DICo, University of Milano
E-mail: cazzola@dico.unimi.it Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253

Old 01-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Mohamed El Morabity

Le lundi 24 janvier 2011 à 13:55 +0100, Walter Cazzola a écrit :
> Dear Fedora Experts,
> bored of the several problems of the texlive 2010 distribution for
> fedora (see my previous message about the missed hyphenation and the
> 1-month old broken dependency on the latex binary) I have decides to
> remove it and reinstall it through tlmgr.
>
> That has been a great idea except for a couple of issues on some
> *nonrelated" packages. To remove texlive yum forced the remotion of a2ps
> and R-core (and few other but these are the most important for me) and I
> can't reinstall them without reinstalling texlive (at least in part).
>
> Now I've already installed texlive but not through yum and I'm wondering
> why the rpm for these packages not really related to LaTeX and in
> any case working also without LaTeX can't check for the bins instead of
> the whole package.
>
> Is there a way for forcing their installation without installing
> texlive?
>
> Thanks all for the help
>
> Walter

Hi,

a solution could be to build an empty RPM that will simply contain a
"Provides: texlive > 2007" or something like this to fool Fedora
packages requiring a LaTeX distribution.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:07 PM
suvayu ali

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Walter Cazzola <cazzola@dico.unimi.it> wrote:
> That has been a great idea except for a couple of issues on some
> *nonrelated" packages. To remove texlive yum forced the remotion of a2ps
> and R-core (and few other but these are the most important for me) and I
> can't reinstall them without reinstalling texlive (at least in part).

Although it might seem so, but they might not be entirely independent.

> Now I've already installed texlive but not through yum and I'm wondering
> why the rpm for these packages not really related to LaTeX and in
> any case working also without LaTeX can't check for the bins instead of
> the whole package.

That is how rpm (or any other package manager works). Checking for
binaries can be ambiguous as some package might not place the binaries
in the path the package manager might check.

> Is there a way for forcing their installation without installing
> texlive?

If you don't mind the disk space taken by the rpm version of texlive,
you can solve the problem with setting your environment variables
appropriately. This is how I get around this issue:

######################
# Setup TeXLive 2009 #
######################

function texlive_setup()
{
export TLHOME=/opt/texlive2009
export PATH=$TLHOME/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
export MANPATH=$TLHOME/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH
export INFOPATH=$TLHOME/texmf/doc/info:$INFOPATH
}

Hope this helps

--
Suvayu

Old 01-25-2011, 02:07 AM
Mark LaPierre

On 01/24/2011 08:07 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Walter Cazzola<cazzola@dico.unimi.it> wrote:
>> That has been a great idea except for a couple of issues on some
>> *nonrelated" packages. To remove texlive yum forced the remotion of a2ps
>> and R-core (and few other but these are the most important for me) and I
>> can't reinstall them without reinstalling texlive (at least in part).
>>
> Although it might seem so, but they might not be entirely independent.
>
>> Now I've already installed texlive but not through yum and I'm wondering
>> why the rpm for these packages not really related to LaTeX and in
>> any case working also without LaTeX can't check for the bins instead of
>> the whole package.
>>
> That is how rpm (or any other package manager works). Checking for
> binaries can be ambiguous as some package might not place the binaries
> in the path the package manager might check.
>
>> Is there a way for forcing their installation without installing
>> texlive?
>>
> If you don't mind the disk space taken by the rpm version of texlive,
> you can solve the problem with setting your environment variables
> appropriately. This is how I get around this issue:
>
> ######################
> # Setup TeXLive 2009 #
> ######################
>
> function texlive_setup()
> {
> export TLHOME=/opt/texlive2009
> export PATH=$TLHOME/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
> export MANPATH=$TLHOME/texmf/doc/man:$MANPATH
> export INFOPATH=$TLHOME/texmf/doc/info:$INFOPATH
> }
>
> Hope this helps

Hey Suvayu,

From another post:
****************** BEGIN QUOTE ******************

Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 AM
suvayu ali

Hi Mark,

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Mark LaPierre <marklapier@aol.com> wrote:
> Hey Suvayu,
>
> On 01/23/2011 10:56 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>
>> > *Is it possible to install boost-1.37.0-6.fc11.i586 along side
>> > *boost-1.41.0-11.fc13.i686 on F13 without hosing up the entire system?
>
> Could I do something similar with the boost packages?

I don't think you can do that with boost with just changing
environment variables. Installing multiple versions of boost has to be
done at the packaging level. With TeXLive its possible because that is
how the ctan distribution of TeXLive is designed.

> Mark LaPierre

Sorry couldn't be of much help.

--
Suvayu

Old 01-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Walter Cazzola

a solution could be to build an empty RPM that will simply contain a
"Provides: texlive > 2007" or something like this to fool Fedora
packages requiring a LaTeX distribution.

Your idea looks interesting but doesn't work. I've just installed (as
yum localinstall) the rpm generated by the attached rpm and when I try
to install a2ps I get:

Dependencies Resolved

=====================================
Package
=====================================
Installing:
a2ps
Installing for dependencies:
html2ps
kpathsea
tex-preview
texinfo-tex
texlive
texlive-dvips
texlive-latex
texlive-texmf
texlive-texmf-dvips
texlive-texmf-errata
texlive-texmf-errata-dvips
texlive-texmf-errata-fonts
texlive-texmf-errata-latex
texlive-texmf-fonts
texlive-texmf-latex
texlive-utils

Transaction Summary
=====================================
Install 17 Package(s)

Total download size: 61 M
Installed size: 159 M
Is this ok [y/N]: n

That is not what I desire.

The fake rpm is correctly installed:

>yum list installed|grep texlive
texlive2010-fake.noarch 1.0-1.fc13 @/texlive2010-fake-1.0-1.fc13.noarch

Any other suggestion?

Walter

--
Walter Cazzola, PhD - Associate Professor, DICo, University of Milano
E-mail: cazzola@dico.unimi.it Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253
· · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·
... recursive: adjective, see recursive ...
· · · ---------------------------- · · · ---------------------------- · · ·Name: texlive2010-fake
Version: 1.0
Release: 1%{?dist}
Source0: fake.tgz
Group: System Environment/Base
License: GPLv2 and BSD and Public Domain and LGPLv2+ and GPLv2+ and LPPL
BuildRoot: %(mktemp -ud %{_tmppath}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}-XXXXXX)

Provides: texlive > 2007

%description
This was necessary to have a tlmgr-based installation of texlive and all the rpm packages that requires texlive (e.g., a2ps and R-core) still installable.

%prep

%build

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%clean
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT

%files
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
%doc

%changelog

Old 01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Walter Cazzola

That has been a great idea except for a couple of issues on some
*nonrelated" packages. To remove texlive yum forced the remotion of a2ps
and R-core (and few other but these are the most important for me) and I
can't reinstall them without reinstalling texlive (at least in part).

Although it might seem so, but they might not be entirely independent.

yes I know they use LaTeX to render something but they can work also
without LaTeX so if someone want these tools is forced to install LaTeX
as well.

Now I've already installed texlive but not through yum and I'm wondering
why the rpm for these packages not really related to LaTeX and in
any case working also without LaTeX can't check for the bins instead of
the whole package.

That is how rpm (or any other package manager works). Checking for
binaries can be ambiguous as some package might not place the binaries
in the path the package manager might check.

uhm this is not convincing me, to avoid misplaced binaries there are
several methods, where, which, the only mandatory point is to have the
binaries you are looking for in the PATH that is not such a big issue
since I'm supposing you want to use them.

I think this is just an issue of laziness since it is easier to have
hard dependencies and let the rpm dbms to deal with them rather than to
check real dependencies thoroughly.

Is there a way for forcing their installation without installing
texlive?

If you don't mind the disk space taken by the rpm version of texlive,
you can solve the problem with setting your environment variables
appropriately. This is how I get around this issue:

I know about this possibility but I'd prefer to save 200Mb and to have a
cleaner installation.

Thanks for the advice
Walter

Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM