Old 04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Jussi Lehtola

Default native texlive and yum

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 18:39:00 +0200 (CEST)
Walter Cazzola <cazzola@dico.unimi.it> wrote:

> Dear Fedora Experts,
> after a little work-out and a big help from people in comp.text.te
> and others on this group I solved the issue and wrote down a rpm spec
> for a fake texlive rpm that fools the yum system.
>
> Since I think this is can help someone else I'll attach to this
> message the .spec file that you can use to recreate the fake rpm. To
> do this you need the rpmdevtools installed and do the following:

In case you're not aware, TexLive 2010 and 2011 have been packaged for
Fedora. Packages for current Fedoras (13, 14 and 15), for the
instructions see

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/TeXLive#How_To_Test
--
Jussi Lehtola
Fedora Project Contributor

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Genes MailLists

On 04/06/2011 01:14 PM, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 04/06/2011 12:39 PM, Walter Cazzola wrote:
>> Dear Fedora Experts, after a little work-out and a big help from people
>> in comp.text.te and
>> others on this group I solved the issue and wrote down a rpm spec for a

Tried to build have a problem:
% rpmbuild -bb --clean texlive2010-fake.spec
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.iDRmSH
+ umask 022

+ unset DISPLAY
+ $'
'
: command not foundRmSH: line 30:
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.iDRmSH (%prep)

The last 4 lines of /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.iDRmSH contain (noe the Ctrl-M's)
in last 2 lines:

export LANG
unset DISPLAY
^M
^M

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Walter Cazzola

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Jussi Lehtola wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 18:39:00 +0200 (CEST)
> Walter Cazzola <cazzola@dico.unimi.it> wrote:
>
>> Dear Fedora Experts,
>> after a little work-out and a big help from people in comp.text.te
>> and others on this group I solved the issue and wrote down a rpm spec
>> for a fake texlive rpm that fools the yum system.
>>
>> Since I think this is can help someone else I'll attach to this
>> message the .spec file that you can use to recreate the fake rpm. To
>> do this you need the rpmdevtools installed and do the following:

> In case you're not aware, TexLive 2010 and 2011 have been packaged for
> Fedora. Packages for current Fedoras (13, 14 and 15), for the
> instructions see

this is exactly the problem, such packages are incomplete (e.g.,
italian hyphenation is missing and without tlmgr is really hard to
reintroduce it) and their updating is really slow wrt the native
distribution of texlive. So after a couple of months with several
problems with such packages (look at the ml archive for the long story)
I dropped the fedora packages of texlive in favor of the native
installation. Unfortunately some bad written packages (such as R) rely
on the presence of a tex-based rpm this is what my hack solves.

Walter

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Walter Cazzola

uhm, this sounds really strange since it is complaining on a rm
statement and I suppose you have rm in your system.

In my view two things could be wrong:
1. I'm using tcsh as a shell and maybe something differ when you use
bash
2. did you install the rpmdevtools and prepared the rpmbuild directory?

Walter

Dear Fedora Experts, after a little work-out and a big help from people
in comp.text.te and
others on this group I solved the issue and wrote down a rpm spec for a

Tried to build have a problem:
% rpmbuild -bb --clean texlive2010-fake.spec
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.iDRmSH
+ umask 022

+ unset DISPLAY
+ $'
'
: command not foundRmSH: line 30:
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.iDRmSH (%prep)

The last 4 lines of /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.iDRmSH contain (noe the Ctrl-M's)
in last 2 lines:

export LANG
unset DISPLAY
^M
^M

--
Walter Cazzola, PhD - Associate Professor, DICo, University of Milano
E-mail: cazzola@dico.unimi.it Ph.: +39 02 503 16300 Fax: +39 02 503 16253

Old 04-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Genes MailLists

On 04/06/2011 03:56 PM, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> uhm, this sounds really strange since it is complaining on a rm
> statement and I suppose you have rm in your system.
>
> In my view two things could be wrong:
> 1. I'm using tcsh as a shell and maybe something differ when you use
> bash
> 2. did you install the rpmdevtools and prepared the rpmbuild directory?

1) Am using bash

2) yes

I think the problem is the Carriage Returns (control-M) - see below:

>> + $'
'

It is trying to execute that as a shell command ... it makes no sense.

But I don't know where it comes from ... I think the "$" was supposed
to go with the variable "RmSH" but I am not sure - instead it got
attached to the carriage return and caused problems ... maybe :-)

'

Old 04-06-2011, 11:37 PM
José Matos

On Wednesday 06 April 2011 20:49:20 Walter Cazzola wrote:
> Unfortunately some bad written packages (such as R) rely
> on the presence of a tex-based rpm this is what my hack solves.

The packages are well written, since they depend on latex the rpm package
should require the equivalent rpm package, that is the basic principle for
distribution.

Imagine to install some package and have to get by hand all its
dependencies... In this case latex is a hard requirement (not even optional)
for R so the R package should depend on it or else it would a package error.

There is a fedora-texlive mailing list where these issues are discussed.
--
José Abílio

Old 04-07-2011, 07:22 AM
Walter Cazzola

'

> It is trying to execute that as a shell command ... it makes no sense.
>
> But I don't know where it comes from ... I think the "$" was supposed
> to go with the variable "RmSH" but I am not sure - instead it got
> attached to the carriage return and caused problems ... maybe :-)

try to run tcsh before the rpmbuild command, I don't have any clue on
this, sorry. In the case I can pass you the rpm for your architecture if
you need it.

Walter