Old 01-01-1970, 01:00 AM
James Mckenzie

Default Website in a box?

Dave Ihnat <dihnat@dminet.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 10:22:42PM -0500, Alex wrote:
>> I have an FC14 x86_64 install, and would like to find a basic
>> application for some friends that will provide a simple web presence,
>> including a simple blogging features and a photo gallery.
>>
>> Should I just install wordpress and gallery, or is there something
>> that's better and more integrated, and easy for a novice to use?
>
>Definitely take a look at either Drupal or Joomla. Both are
>full-featured systems; Drupal has a huge number of add-on packages and
>is eminently extensible, while Joomla purports to be easier to get
>started. Both are trending toward each other in these areas as they
>evolved.

I looked at Joomla for a large commercial type application for a not-for-profit and I would recommend against it for the purpose you want to use it for. It is very powerful but it appears complicated for setup (they even offer pay-for services to setup your site.)

You might want to look at ppBBS to see if it will meet your needs. Most forum sites use it.

James McKenzie