Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 AM
dpet

Default F8: Dell laptop - i8kutils

I recently had to replace the video card in my Dell 9400,
probably because it overheated after a build-up of dust in the cooling
system.
So I am now paranoid about the temperature control of the CPU
and the GPU fans.
I think that if I run gkrellm, I can set and observe the fan
behaviour. However, I have to have the programs display on the screen.

I have installed i8kutils and thought that I could use these
conveniently. I thought I would find some config file to set
temperatures. I haven't found one, and running "i8kmon -d -a -t 5 &"
doesn't seem to work.
As I am obviously confused, perhaps someone can help me.

Thanks
DP
South Australia

Old 02-03-2008, 12:10 PM
Stewart Williams

dpet wrote:

I recently had to replace the video card in my Dell 9400,
probably because it overheated after a build-up of dust in the cooling
system.
So I am now paranoid about the temperature control of the CPU
and the GPU fans.
I think that if I run gkrellm, I can set and observe the fan
behaviour. However, I have to have the programs display on the screen.

I have installed i8kutils and thought that I could use these
conveniently. I thought I would find some config file to set
temperatures. I haven't found one, and running "i8kmon -d -a -t 5 &"
doesn't seem to work.
As I am obviously confused, perhaps someone can help me.

Thanks
DP
South Australia

I'm afraid I have no experience with i8kutils, however as an alternative
to gkrellm, you may be interested in looking at Conky.

http://conky.sourceforge.net/docs.html

Old 02-03-2008, 01:30 PM
"Kenneth Lee"

> I have installed i8kutils and thought that I could use these
> conveniently. I thought I would find some config file to set
> temperatures. I haven't found one, and running "i8kmon -d -a -t 5 &"
> doesn't seem to work.
I did a google search with the terms "gnome linux cpu temperature
applet" and got a lot of hits. The link
http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/lm_sensors-guide-or-how-to-monitor-cpu-temperature-in-linux-fedora-core-6-26-kernel/
was very helpful on what to install to get sensor readings.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 07:30 -0700, Kenneth Lee wrote:
> > I have installed i8kutils and thought that I could use these
> > conveniently. I thought I would find some config file to set
> > temperatures. I haven't found one, and running "i8kmon -d -a -t 5 &"
> > doesn't seem to work.
> I did a google search with the terms "gnome linux cpu temperature
> applet" and got a lot of hits. The link
> http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/lm_sensors-guide-or-how-to-monitor-cpu-temperature-in-linux-fedora-core-6-26-kernel/
> was very helpful on what to install to get sensor readingscat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
works pretty well to get temperature.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Mike

Aaron Konstam <akonstam <at> sbcglobal.net> writes:
/proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
> cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
> works pretty well to get temperature.

Yes this does give the temperature - do you know if there is a kde based app
that will show the temperature and perhaps other parameters in a gui?
Can gkrellm show this without using lm_sensors (lm_sensors does not seem to
work on all motherboards as far as I can tell)

Old 02-03-2008, 08:57 PM
dpet

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 08:10:18 -0500 (EST)
fedora-list-request@redhat.com wrote:

> dpet wrote:
> >
> > I recently had to replace the video card in my Dell 9400,
> > probably because it overheated after a build-up of dust in the
> > cooling system.
> > So I am now paranoid about the temperature control of the
> > CPU and the GPU fans.
> > I think that if I run gkrellm, I can set and observe the fan
> > behaviour. However, I have to have the programs display on the
> > screen.
> >
> > I have installed i8kutils and thought that I could use these
> > conveniently. I thought I would find some config file to set
> > temperatures. I haven't found one, and running "i8kmon -d -a -t 5 &"
> > doesn't seem to work.
> > As I am obviously confused, perhaps someone can help me.
> >
> > Thanks
> > DP
> > South Australia
> >

> I'm afraid I have no experience with i8kutils, however as an
> alternative to gkrellm, you may be interested in looking at Conky.
>
> http://conky.sourceforge.net/docs.html

Thanks for the info. However, looks complicated as I only want to set
the temperature at which the fans automatically turn on. It also
doesn't specifically know about the temperature of the video card, as
far as I can tell.
Regards

Old 02-03-2008, 09:31 PM
dpet

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 11:36:35 -0500 (EST)
fedora-list-request@redhat.com wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 07:30 -0700, Kenneth Lee wrote:
> > > I have installed i8kutils and thought that I could use these
> > > conveniently. I thought I would find some config file to set
> > > temperatures. I haven't found one, and running "i8kmon -d -a -t 5
> > > &" doesn't seem to work.
> > I did a google search with the terms "gnome linux cpu temperature
> > applet" and got a lot of hits. The link
> > http://blog.taragana.com/index.php/archive/lm_sensors-guide-or-how-to-monitor-cpu-temperature-in-linux-fedora-core-6-26-kernel/
> > was very helpful on what to install to get sensor
> > readingscat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
> cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THM/temperature
> works pretty well to get temperature.

Thanks, yes it is helpful, but I want to set the fan turn on
temperature, and for it to happen automatically.
Regards