Old 02-03-2008, 03:20 AM
Chris Kottaridis

Default Viewing a DVD with Totem

I have Fedora Core 8 installed and am trying to watch a DVD using Totem.
When I select "Play Disc" it complains that I don't have the right
plugin.

>Totem cannot play this type of media (DVD) because it does not have the
appropriate
>plugins to be able to read from the disc.
>
>Please install the necessary plugins and restart Totem to be able to
play this media.

I already went to Fluendo and got the fluendo-megabundle tarball. That
got me to see .wmv files which was nice.

I do seem to have libdvdread installed. But the truth is the message is
rather vague on what I exactly need.

What RPM's do I need to be able to watch DVD's via Totem ?

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@quietwind.net)

Old 02-03-2008, 03:36 AM
"Michael A. Peters"

Chris Kottaridis wrote:

I have Fedora Core 8 installed and am trying to watch a DVD using Totem.
When I select "Play Disc" it complains that I don't have the right
plugin.

Totem cannot play this type of media (DVD) because it does not have the

appropriate

plugins to be able to read from the disc.

Please install the necessary plugins and restart Totem to be able to

play this media.

I already went to Fluendo and got the fluendo-megabundle tarball. That
got me to see .wmv files which was nice.

I do seem to have libdvdread installed. But the truth is the message is
rather vague on what I exactly need.

What RPM's do I need to be able to watch DVD's via Totem ?

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@quietwind.net)

rpm.livna.org

It's possible dvd playback works in gstreamer totem again, try:

wget http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release-8.rpm
rpm -ih livna-release-8.rpm
yum install libdvdcss

If that doesn't get you dvd playback with your fluendo drivers - then

yum install gstreamer-ffmpeg gstreamer-plugins-ugly gstreamer-plugins-bad

If that doesn't get you totem dvd playback -

yum remove totem
yum install totem-xine xine-lib xine-lib-extras xine-lib-extras-nonfree

That will give you DVD capable totem

Old 02-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 21:20 -0700, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> I have Fedora Core 8 installed and am trying to watch a DVD using Totem.
> When I select "Play Disc" it complains that I don't have the right
> plugin.
>
> >Totem cannot play this type of media (DVD) because it does not have the
> appropriate
> >plugins to be able to read from the disc.
> >
> >Please install the necessary plugins and restart Totem to be able to
> play this media.
>

> I already went to Fluendo and got the fluendo-megabundle tarball. That
> got me to see .wmv files which was nice.
>
> I do seem to have libdvdread installed. But the truth is the message is
> rather vague on what I exactly need.
>
> What RPM's do I need to be able to watch DVD's via Totem ?

> Thanks
> Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@quietwind.net)

Two things:
1. replace totem with totem-xine from livna
2. Even better install vlc to play DVDs.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Timothy Murphy

Aaron Konstam wrote:

> Two things:
> 1. replace totem with totem-xine from livna
> 2. Even better install vlc to play DVDs.

What exactly _can_ totem do?

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

Old 02-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Gene Heskett

On Sunday 03 February 2008, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> Two things:
>> 1. replace totem with totem-xine from livna
>> 2. Even better install vlc to play DVDs.
>
>What exactly _can_ totem do?

In all honesty, very little. Nuke it.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 02-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Rahul Sundaram

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Aaron Konstam wrote:

Two things:
1. replace totem with totem-xine from livna
2. Even better install vlc to play DVDs.

What exactly _can_ totem do?

Totem can play anything gstreamer supports which is pretty extensive.
Totem in Fedora can play open formats. If you want support for other
codecs, install gstreamer* from other repositories.

Rahul

Old 02-03-2008, 07:07 PM
"Erik P. Olsen"

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:

Aaron Konstam wrote:

Two things:
1. replace totem with totem-xine from livna
2. Even better install vlc to play DVDs.

What exactly _can_ totem do?

Totem can play anything gstreamer supports which is pretty extensive.
Totem in Fedora can play open formats. If you want support for other
codecs, install gstreamer* from other repositories.

This is too open a statement. Can you be more specific?

Old 02-04-2008, 02:28 AM
"Michael A. Peters"

Aaron Konstam wrote:

Two things:
1. replace totem with totem-xine from livna
2. Even better install vlc to play DVDs.

I actually personally prefer straight xine.
But totem-xine does work.

I'll try the gstreamer plugins in F8 and see if they work. They worked
awhile back (F4 I think), then a gstreamer update broke them, then they
worked, then they broke. It was rather frustrating.

But I use totem-xine for general multimedia viewing, xine for DVD's.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Chris Kottaridis

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 16:09 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > Two things:
> > 1. replace totem with totem-xine from livna
> > 2. Even better install vlc to play DVDs.

Tried to load totem-xine and it complained that totem conflicted.

# rpm -i totem-xine-2.20.1-1.lvn8.i386.rpm
warning: totem-xine-2.20.1-1.lvn8.i386.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature:
NOKEY, key ID a109b1ec
error: Failed dependencies:
totem conflicts with totem-xine-2.20.1-1.lvn8.i386

So, I followed the instructions for vlc here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-fedora.html

and the DVD seems to be playing fine!