Old 02-03-2008, 12:17 AM
chloe K

Default change mtu help

Hi all

how can I change the mtu to 1600?

can i do it in rc.local or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripting

thank you

Old 02-03-2008, 01:26 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

chloe K wrote:

Hi all

how can I change the mtu to 1600?

can i do it in rc.local or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripting

If you want to change it for a specific interface, you can do it in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface> using the MTU=1600
option. If you want to know more about the different interface
files, and the options in them, you may want to read
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version>/sysconfig.txt.

Mikkel

Old 02-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Les Mikesell

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

chloe K wrote:

Hi all

how can I change the mtu to 1600?

can i do it in rc.local or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripting

If you want to change it for a specific interface, you can do it in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface> using the MTU=1600
option. If you want to know more about the different interface files,
and the options in them, you may want to read
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version>/sysconfig.txt.

But setting the MTU higher than permitted on the physical media is not
likely to work. For example, ethernet is normally restricted to 1500.
Also, this setting doesn't include the ethernet header and trailer bytes
so if you are working with 'baby giant' packets with devices that
support them you may still need a setting a bit less than 1600.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 AM
Richard Shaw

chloe K wrote:

Hi all

how can I change the mtu to 1600?

can i do it in rc.local or
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripting

thank you

You didn't say if you were running Gnome or not, but in the Network
Configuration system panel you can just edit the Ethernet device you
want to change. MTU option is on the bottom.

Richard

Old 02-04-2008, 05:53 PM
chloe K

Hi

I haven't run any xwindow in my host

how can I do it?

i want to run it when the system is booting also

thank you

Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@gmail.com> wrote: chloe K wrote:
> Hi all
>
> how can I change the mtu to 1600?
>
> can i do it in rc.local or
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripting
>
> thank you
>

> Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca

You didn't say if you were running Gnome or not, but in the Network
Configuration system panel you can just edit the Ethernet device you
want to change. MTU option is on the
bottom.

Richard

Looking for the perfect gift? Give the gift of Flickr!--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com

Old 02-04-2008, 05:57 PM
chloe K

Thank you so much for your suggestion

I am using the host as router.

my teleco company requests us to set mtu as 1600 that I have to set to our end

Do you know whether it is good to set up 1600 ?
as DSL modem is currently supporting frame size 1492 in this time?

Thank you again

Old 02-07-2008, 02:41 AM
Richard Shaw

chloe K wrote:

Hi

I haven't run any xwindow in my host

how can I do it?

i want to run it when the system is booting also

thank you

*//*
I'm somewhat confused... I assume your running fedora since you haven't
specified otherwise and this is a fedora list. Unless you disabled it,
you should be running with X enabled both during boot and afterwards.

Richard