Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Default firefox won't launch

Em Sáb 02 Fev 2008, peter lesterhuis escreveu:
> Hi,
> In order to visit a secured website I tried to import my certificate.
> I need to visit the website for my job. Until now I have to reboot
> into Windows and I am getting tired of having to do that. I was
> issued to download software from VerSign and then restart the
> browser. So I did. Now firefox doesn't start at all.
> I removed ff en then reinstalled, but it still won't lauch. Konqueror
> does though.
> Does anyone have a clue?

After you launch it, the process keeps running but the window does not
open or it terminates by itself right after launch?
What does it say when you launch it from the console?

[]'s
Marcelo

Old 02-02-2008, 08:59 PM
peter lesterhuis

In order to visit a secured website I tried to import my certificate.
> I need to visit the website for my job. Until now I have to reboot
> into Windows and I am getting tired of having to do that. I was
> issued to download software from VerSign and then restart the
> browser. So I did. Now firefox doesn't start at all.
> I removed ff en then reinstalled, but it still won't lauch. Konqueror
> does though.
> Does anyone have a clue?

After you launch it, the process keeps running but the window does not
open or it terminates by itself right after launch?

What does it say when you launch it from the console?

When I launchit from the console nothing happens at all. When I launch
from the icon on the gnome panel there is some action for about 5
seconds and then it stops.

Peter

Old 02-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Konstantin Svist

peter lesterhuis wrote:

In order to visit a secured website I tried to import my certificate.
> I need to visit the website for my job. Until now I have to reboot
> into Windows and I am getting tired of having to do that. I was
> issued to download software from VerSign and then restart the
> browser. So I did. Now firefox doesn't start at all.
> I removed ff en then reinstalled, but it still won't lauch. Konqueror
> does though.
> Does anyone have a clue?

After you launch it, the process keeps running but the window does
not open or it terminates by itself right after launch?

What does it say when you launch it from the console?

When I launchit from the console nothing happens at all. When I launch
from the icon on the gnome panel there is some action for about 5
seconds and then it stops.

Peter

By any chance, are you using ATI driver (fglrx) in dual-screen mode,
while not connected to an external monitor? That happens to me sometimes.

I think it's some bug in firefox that can't deal with some
configuration.. All you need to do is use xrandr (I use krandrtray) to
set the correct resolution, run "killall firefox-bin" if you had started
any sessions already, then start firefox again

If this issue is not related, start firefox in console with -safe-mode
flag, see it that helps. If not, try erasing (renaming) your profile
directory

HTH

Old 02-03-2008, 09:01 AM
peter lesterhuis

peter lesterhuis wrote:

>> In order to visit a secured website I tried to import my certificate.

>> > I need to visit the website for my job. Until now I have to reboot
>> > into Windows and I am getting tired of having to do that. I was
>> > issued to download software from VerSign and then restart the
>> > browser. So I did. Now firefox doesn't start at all.
>> > I removed ff en then reinstalled, but it still won't lauch. Konqueror
>> > does though.
>> > Does anyone have a clue?

>> After you launch it, the process keeps running but the window does
>> not open or it terminates by itself right after launch?

>> What does it say when you launch it from the console?
>>

> When I launchit from the console nothing happens at all. When I launch
> from the icon on the gnome panel there is some action for about 5
> seconds and then it stops.

> Peter

By any chance, are you using ATI driver (fglrx) in dual-screen mode,
while not connected to an external monitor? That happens to me sometimes.

I think it's some bug in firefox that can't deal with some
configuration.. All you need to do is use xrandr (I use krandrtray) to
set the correct resolution, run "killall firefox-bin" if you had started
any sessions already, then start firefox again

If this issue is not related, start firefox in console with -safe-mode
flag, see it that helps. If not, try erasing (renaming) your profile
directory

I am not using the ATI driver.
Which "profile directory" are you referring to? Do you mean the file
/etc/profile?

Peter

Old 02-03-2008, 09:05 AM
Scott Harvanek

peter lesterhuis wrote:

peter lesterhuis wrote:

>> In order to visit a secured website I tried to import my
certificate.

>> > I need to visit the website for my job. Until now I have to
reboot

>> > into Windows and I am getting tired of having to do that. I was
>> > issued to download software from VerSign and then restart the
>> > browser. So I did. Now firefox doesn't start at all.
>> > I removed ff en then reinstalled, but it still won't lauch.
Konqueror

>> > does though.
>> > Does anyone have a clue?

window does >> not open or it terminates by itself right after launch?

>> What does it say when you launch it from the console?
>>
> When I launchit from the console nothing happens at all. When I
launch > from the icon on the gnome panel there is some action for
about 5 > seconds and then it stops.

> Peter

By any chance, are you using ATI driver (fglrx) in dual-screen mode,
while not connected to an external monitor? That happens to me
sometimes.

I think it's some bug in firefox that can't deal with some
configuration.. All you need to do is use xrandr (I use krandrtray)
to set the correct resolution, run "killall firefox-bin" if you had
started any sessions already, then start firefox again

If this issue is not related, start firefox in console with
-safe-mode flag, see it that helps. If not, try erasing (renaming)
your profile directory

I am not using the ATI driver.
Which "profile directory" are you referring to? Do you mean the file
/etc/profile?

Peter

Your /home/~user/.mozilla/firefox directory , try renaming that and
restarting firefox. That will cause it to create a fresh set of
preferences.

-Scott

Old 02-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 22:59 +0100, peter lesterhuis wrote:

> > In order to visit a secured website I tried to import my certificate.
> > > I need to visit the website for my job. Until now I have to reboot
> > > into Windows and I am getting tired of having to do that. I was
> > > issued to download software from VerSign and then restart the
> > > browser. So I did. Now firefox doesn't start at all.
> > > I removed ff en then reinstalled, but it still won't lauch. Konqueror
> > > does though.
> > > Does anyone have a clue?
> >

> > After you launch it, the process keeps running but the window does not
> > open or it terminates by itself right after launch?
> > What does it say when you launch it from the console?
> >
> When I launchit from the console nothing happens at all. When I launch
> from the icon on the gnome panel there is some action for about 5
> seconds and then it stops.
> Peter

Are there any useful messages in /var/log/messages?

Old 02-03-2008, 06:41 PM
peter lesterhuis

Which "profile directory" are you referring to? Do you mean the file
> /etc/profile?

> Peter

Your /home/~user/.mozilla/firefox directory , try renaming that and
restarting firefox. That will cause it to create a fresh set of
preferences.

Ok, I tried that, but it makes no difference.
There is no message in /var/log/messages when I try to launch ff.
Peter